SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
droct

Vinegar soaking to kill weeds. Good idea?

droct
16 years ago

I'm considering buying a few multi-gallon containers of White Vinegar from the grocery store (so probably only about 5% concentration) and just dumping it over an old garden patch at my house (been basically unused for god only knows how long before we moved in) that has become overrun with weeds (a number of different kinds, and I'm only just getting into gardening so I can't really quite identify the types yet). Last year I tried spraying some on the surfaces of the weeds with limited success. I'm hoping by pouring on more of the vinegar so it soaks down a few inches into the soil will kill the weeds more throughly. (Hopefully the roots will at least be damaged, so it'll be easier to keep them under control afterward).

My question is this: Is this a good idea? Will this work at all? Will I kill too much good stuff (like bacteria etc) in the soil?

And secondly how long will I have to wait after doing something like this to start planting other things in the area? Will the soil be alright in a week or two? Would I be able to eliminate the vinegar by simply watering the garden after letting it sit in the soil for a few days?

I'm pretty new to gardening, but this year we'd really like to be able to use the garden patch in our yard and grow some of our own food!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting