SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funjs

Where can I buy Plumeria in Dallas?

funjs
16 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy plumeria trees in Dallas? I've seen several sites online but I'd really prefer to get one from a nursery or local grower... Any guidance is very much appreicated!!

Comments (43)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I've been told its too early for them.
    Calloway's in Lewisville told me to keep checking back.

I've read on line, they can sometimes be found at Home Depot and WalMart. So I keep checking those places in case they get some in.

• chena
    16 years ago

Dang Melvalena You my have some kind of Walmart and HD..LOL You can't find anything out here...
    Chena

• Related Discussions

DALLAS - Where to buy Nepeta (Catmint) - Walker's Low?

Q

Comments (1)
    It's such a popular gardening staple - every place that sells plants from Wal-mart and the other big boxes to high end garden centers carry it around here. I can't imagine Dallas is any different; have you checked?.
    ...See More

Where to buy a mature tree in the Dallas area?

Q

Comments (8)
    Sorry about the repeat message, but thought I would update... seems my friend Bob has added a new website. You can contact him from there at http://buytrees.110mb.com/ Bob's Trees and Landscaping -- the owner currently works with a parks and recreation department, but has over 30 years of experience in the tree-farming and nursery business. His actual farm is located in Joshua, but he delivers... and works out of the Arlington/Mansfield area. If he does not have it, he will locate it for you. Offers a planting service as well. 214.724.7989
    ...See More

Where to buy tomato and pepper plants in Dallas

Q

Comments (7)
    I bought my peppers and tomatoes from the local home depot and lowes - Bonnie plant brand. As far as heat, yes it's a problem. Last year we had that terrible heat wave, I barely kept my plants alive through it. Once the heat broke, I got lots of production, except the hard frost killed everything just before they were ripe. Had literally hundreds of orange/almost red cherry tomatoes fall on the ground to rot. Bad luck, is all. I'd recommend planting now, so they reach maturity by the time the cooler weather rolls in, and get the fruit set ASAP. Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener
    ...See More

Where to buy Lacey Oak in Dallas area?

Q

Comments (4)
    I purchased mine from Rhode's in Garland. Their website says they carry some 15 gal Here is a link that might be useful: Rhode's trees
    ...See More
  • melvalena
    16 years ago

I've never personally seen them there that I can remember..but its possible I just didn't know what they were!

I've --read-- in forums and other web sites that they have been available in WalMart and Home Depot stores. Since I am frequently at each of those stores plus Lowes' I always take a walk through the garden sections, including the indoor tropical areas just to look in case they get some in!
    I don't bother asking anyone for them anymore. No one has a clue what I'm talking about. So I just look for myself now.

• funjs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the responses! I stumbled upon an old post in another forum saying that North Haven Gardens carry plumeria during the summer... I'll be heading that way tomorrow to see if they actually have them, or if they will be getting some at a later date this summer.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Melvalena, the Lowe's at the corner of 407 & 2499 carried them last year. I haven't seen any yet this year.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Thanks Carrie!

I'll just keep making my 'rounds' and checking all the usual places. :)

After the last two nights' storms, Lowe's discount (dead rack) rack should be pretty full. They've got to get things cleaned up and ready for the weekend so tomorrow should be a good day to go check 'em out.

I do need to go get stuff to repair our hot tub canopy from the storm 2 weeks ago.

• chena
    16 years ago

OMG!!!!
    I LOVE Plummies but the thought of Dallas .. just scares me...LOL I have 2 cuttings that are just now starting to show signs of growth...and a couple more on the way Thanks to a very generous person.
    Chena

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I'll keep a look out for 'em.
    When they're in... I'll call and we'll make some plans...
    Think of it as an adventure.
    It will be fun I Promise!

Deal?

• chena
    16 years ago

DEAL!!!!

• funjs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I checked with Lowe's today (located off Inwood and the tolloway) and was told that they usually get plumeria in the later part of May. I also checked with Northaven and they didn't have any. At least the guy at Lowe's knew what the heck I was talking about... He told me to keep checking the outside "tropical" area - they should be in soon!

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I am curious what the going price tends to be for plumeria. I have friend in Hawaii that said he might be able to supply me a good crop of cuttings and I was just wondering how much they go for so I can decide whether it is worth considering for next year.
    Thanks and Happy Growing David
    P.S. Of course I would offer just sthe usual common yellow and white but several other color variations. Seems cuttings on the web can range from $25 for 4 common types all the way yp to $300 and more for a single unrooted cutting in some cases.

• funjs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's a site that's offering cuttings ranging from $10 - $25 with $25 being the new hybrids this year. The cuttings at this price say they only have one tip, but they do offer more tips for more money. I'm very curious to see what Lowe's is going to charge as well, as theirs will be rooted in a one gallon pot. I'm new to plumerias and am a bit itimidated by growing from a cutting (although I've been growing orchids for the past year and they seem to have similar "needs" characteristics). Just can't wait to get one of those beauties in my yard!!! :-)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I have no idea what to expect price or size wise.
    I just know I'm going to buy at least one. :)

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Last year, the price was under $20, so maybe you can get a good deal there. I will keep a watch out for you, Mel, and email you if I see one at Lowe's.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Great!!!
    After funjs, Chena and I get what we want then we can post to the whole group.

• cseim
    16 years ago

Our good friends had something like 6 large plumeria trees that they were giving away. Giving away! They didn't have room for them at their new place, but my fiance won't let me have one since it's a type of dogbane and our dogs chew everything. I'm so upset! I adore our girls, but they sure get in the way of my new gardening hobby!

• chena
    16 years ago

cseim... WOW!!! I haven't been to Austin in yrs. (love that place..LOL) If these trees are available I will drive down to get them... not kidding!!! Melvalena how about a roda trip??? LOLOL PLEASE E~mail me and let me know...
    Thanks
    Chena

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Yeah.. Sure!!!

• chena
    16 years ago

Girl All we need is the"COME ON YA"LL!!!" csemi your E~mail is blocked ..Gosh I hope you check back in...LOL
    Chena

• cseim
    16 years ago

So sorry, but they've found homes for them all now. I guess it doesn't take too long to give those things away! I'm still upset though because they were just beautiful trees!

(Sorry I didn't get back to you personally, but I'm new to this forum and haven't figured out the email part)

• chena
    16 years ago

AWWWWW!
    Thanks for putting it out there.. You can't blame a girl for dreaming!!!!LOL...
    Melvalena looks like I will see you in Dallas...LOL...!!
    Chena

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Chena,
    I think I can keep you out of Dallas Proper, if that makes you feel any better about heading this way.

• chena
    16 years ago

LOL.. I don't even know what that means!!!!
    I recieved this really GREAT package in the mail yesterday!! WOO HOO.. it was Plummies.. This GENEROUS chick sent 2 rooted plants and 4 cuttings.. Being the greedy gardener I am ..LOL I am still willing to do Dallas!!!
    Chena

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Good for you on those plummies!

What I mean, is you can get to where I am and all my usual garden haunts with out setting foot (or wheel) in the actual City of Dallas. :)

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Well, when you two get together, you had better give me a call or at least, come by.

• chena
    16 years ago

Oh Carrie I didn't know you were that direction.... I would love to see you!!
    Chena

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Of course we'll include you Carrie!
    Chena, Carrie and I are about 30 minute drive from each other.

• ditaroman
    16 years ago

Northaven carries them, but I think it's too early. If I remember right I saw them priced at $30 up. Hopefully you can get a cutting from somebody because they are soooo easy to root.

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey pinoy!!
    Any rooting tips are always welcome! I have a couple that I have rooted but I am always looking for new ways!!! The others took a few months .. seem to be doing great.. How do you root them???
    Chena

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I checked Lowe's yesterday, and they still don't have them in.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

They're in!!!!

I was at Lowe's on 35E in Lewisville this morning looking for the dead rack (they've moved it to the back) and came around one of the tables and there they were! I knew what they were instantly. $9 something each. It looked like there were maybe 15 left after I picked mine out, so hurry and go get yours!

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Did ya'll find these yet? If not, or you kill them, let me know & I'll mail ya cuttings. They grow like weeds here. You might get potluck on colors depending on how senile I am that week.
    Tally HO!

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I got 3 of 'em. I need to re pot them into something that drains better once it quits raining.

Good to know there's a Texas source for more if I somehow kill these. (its been known to happen)

• ditaroman
    16 years ago

Chena, sorry it took me a while, I'm just now lurking again in this forum. You can tell we're slow at work that I have been in this site since yesterday. Anyways, I got my cutting from my brother in California in Oct., stick it in pot of dirt, wrap it with clear plastic bag, place it on the windowsill and forget about it. I don' know how long it took to root it, because when I check 4 mos. later it was rooted already. The only thing I did in between was to take out the leaves that has fallen. Now it's in a 15 gallon pot, and about 5' tall. I don't think it will grow taller than that since it's in a pot.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, I have seen 10 foot plummies in five gal pots. Can anyone say oopsy daisy. Talk about a top heavy type of plant, plumerias can be a major challenge with windy days!!
    Happy Growing David

• kay75052
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, not sure if anyone is still looking for plumerias, but I just went to Lowes in Arlington this past Saturday and they have them there. They were only $10 for a plant about two feet tall, some with Y cuts. They had some that had inflos on them so they are about to bloom.
    Their plants looks very healthy so if you're still interested check out Lowes.
    Have fun shopping!

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Loews in Texas City had them too. I couldn't believe they wanted $29.95 for one in a 5 gallon pot, barely a couple of feet tall!! Anyone wanna pay that much I'll sell you a LOT of them!

I'm not sure about rooting them in a plastic bag, don't they rot? What I've always done is: let the cutting lay around for 1-3 weeks, or longer if you forget or it's winter, then stick it in a pot of good potting mix. Water well, leave it alone, when you see it sprouting water again & water as needed. Too much water & they rot. I just stick 'em out in the garden & they get watered with everything else.
    Tally HO!

• plumeria_john
    15 years ago

I sell plumeria's direct to the public. I have been a local Dallas grower for over 20 years. I have all sizes for sale from my home near Love Field airport.

Please call me at 214-796-9402 for details.

• grinchis40
    15 years ago

I bought one about 3 weeks ago from Lowe's in Mckinney. I paid $9.99.

• amyhongbui
    8 years ago

Plumeria_John. Do you still have plumeria for sell ?

• purslanegarden
    8 years ago

I have seen plumeria at Home Depot. And guess what? It was in their shopping carts getting ready to be thrown away :-(

It was still in good shape, along with other plants in not as great of shape, but I guess they were just outliving their shelf life and needed to be gone to make space for more.

• Paula Kurth
    last year

Plumeria_John. Do you still have plumeria for sell?

• Greta Pardue
    last year

There are some at Lowe's at Preston and George Busg FWY, at 26.99 , very few left.