SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reba_grows

?? abt Early & Bush Goliath, Delicious, German Johnsn, Mt Spring

reba_grows
15 years ago

I am trying to learn more about these 5 varieties of seedlings I need to transplant out.

1) I have looked in a number of places and have gotten very conflicting answers about the variety called Delicious. I found it first as an indeterminate, 65 days to maturity, about 5 and one-half ounce fruit, each tomato averaging less than 3 inches and yellowish in color. Then I saw it as a determinate, fruit at 2 to 3 POUNDS each and red in color? Any help with this one?

2) Early Goliath- says 58 days, 8 ounce fruit, VFFNTASt for disease. My question is determinate or indet? It really makes a difference where they need to grow for me.

3) Bush Goliath- all I have found out is it has a large fruit at 3 to 4 inches, on plants that are 3 to 4 feet high. Again, determinate or indeterminate?

4) German Johnson- 85 days, large pinkish-red fruit, 1 pound fruit, and either poor or good resistance to disease. Again are they det. or indeterminate?

5) Mountain Spring- determinate, the questions are about the average fruit weight, I've seen it from 4.5 ounces to over 8 oz. Also the days to maturity- I've seen 70 to 80 days.

(By the way I did go thru the listings in the determinate/ indet. posts in the forum. The post has some of these varieties listed but not whether they are det. or indet.)

Any help would be great, also words of advice or whether you've had luck or heartache with them. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Early Goliath is indeterminate. Bush Goliath is determinate (all the "bush" varieties are). German Johnson is indet. Delicious is indet. and noted for it's large fruit. It held the record for a while I believe. may still have it.

Fruit weight will vary from garden to garden, even plant to plant in the same garden. Too many variables that can affect it although it's average size is genetically determined. Weather soil, fertilizer, etc. can all affect it as does pruning or not pruning, staking or caging. That is why they just give an average range.

Same with DTM - it is just a guideline, not a fact, and not all that accurate even at best which is why most ignore it. ;) It can vary by 15-30 days from garden to garden.

You'll find that reputable suppliers such as Tomato Growers Supply can usually provide you with the basics on most any variety.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• reba_grows
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me so quick Dave, you answered all my questions. Two days of pounding rain, tornado warning last night and stickey in the 90's today... may not be the perfect transplanting out weather but I'm ready now ! Rebecca

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting