SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allisonacres_gw

weeds/unwanted grass

allisonacres
14 years ago

Hi all. I'm in the central valley of CA, just south of Sacramento. When winter rolls around, the weeds and grass go crazy here, since they finally have water, as I'm sure some of you know. My dad says we can't mow when it's wet because it'll clog up the mower blades. Well, the problem is, it's wet all the time, for the most part. Sometimes we have 4 days between rain but not very often and even when it doesn't rain there is so much tule fog and moisture in the air that the grass/weeds are pretty much soaked all the time. Right now we've gone several days without seeing the sun.

If we don't get the stuff mowed, it just goes crazy, and I guess a lot of if is some species that has foxtails, since the foxtails will show up like mad a bit later in spring/summer. I know I'm supposed to mow before it can go to seed to try to control those foxtails, but with it this wet, how do I mow? Is my dad right about not mowing when it's wet? Is there a certain mower than can handle it? We are on 20 acres and it's a huge area I'm talking about - all along our very very long driveways, around the barnyard, and in both the "official" backyards and side yards that are attached to the two houses.

Also what about an herbicide? I don't want to waste a bunch of money and I read that roundup works best when it's warmer. It hasn't been much above 50 lately, so does that mean I shouldn't bother using it?

Thanks so much!

cindi

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor