SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladon_gw

My critter solution...

ladon
13 years ago

I live in Los Angeles, and have been doing the best I can with organic urban gardening on my little plot of land. I have huge amounts of envy for you folk who have those big gorgeous properties out in the country to grow massive veg gardens, but I'm pretty proud of what I've been able to do with my little growing area. Anyway, last year I had an amazing crop of tomatoes, but about half way through the summer my plants were decimated by rats. I had never had them before, but they found my plants and spent the summer feasting. I tried everything to get rid of them, from traps to fox urine granules, and eventually to poison (ugh! That one took a lot of persuading from my partner) but to no avail. So this year I decided that I simply would not let them have access. The salad bar is now closed. I put in a little extra work and built my tomato safe-houses. They are cages with hard wire mesh walls, hinged to allow access to all plants for me, but not for the little critters. Let'm try. I'm currently building stackable top pieces to allow for the growth of the plants as they out grow each bottom part. Anyway, just thought I'd share my work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments (6)