SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nini_treehugger

Amount of Casts and Worms' Health

Nini_TreeHugger
11 years ago

Hi.
I've read somewhere in this forum that large amount of worm casts in a bin is toxic to the worms themselves.

I have 2 plastic DIY bins (15 x 22 inch) with about 3 inches of bedding (coconut coir + aged cow manure) and 2 inches of shredded newspaper. I bought 2 pounds of African Night Crawlers 6 days ago and put 1 pound in each bin. I feed them about a handful of vegetable pulp from my juicer (the pulp is damp but not runny) mixed with a bit of aged cow manure, because they are used to be fed with aged cow manure at the worm farm. Then I left them alone. I feed them only when they've almost finished their food. So far I counted about less than 10 escapees since putting them in the bins to Day 3, then they settled in.

So Day 6: I found about 3 escapees. Opened the lid and I found about 2 dozens of them on the sides of the bin. I found about 5 dead worms on the surface of the bedding. Others are alive and wriggling about. Same goes with the other bin. And plenty of casts. About an inch above the bedding. They look like chocolate rice on cakes lol.

Aeration is good, plenty of holes on the lid. The bins are indoor in a cool dark spot. I don't think the bin is heating up because they would have all crawled out days ago. Besides, I used the same cow manure on my old bin with worms I collected from my compost pile and from the cow manure itself. It's warm and humid here all year round. The bedding is not too wet, not too dry. Nothing in the feed to set the pH off balance.

So I came to the conclusion that it must the the amount of casts. I'm not sure though. So Q1: shall scoop out the casts on the surface and replace it with same amount of new bedding? Q2: Is it normal to have that amount of casting in a short period of time with a pound of worms? (my old bin doesn't have that many worms and only minimal castings) Q3: is there anything I may have overlooked?

Looking forward for feedbacks. Thank you very much. Nini.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor