SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Self watering Container tomato troubles

12 years ago

Hello,

I started 6 Self Watering Containers utilizing Lowes buckets. I followed all instructions exactly from the various video tutorials I've seen. For half of the buckets I used a mix of 3parts Rustic Pine Mulch, 2 parts Miracle Grow, and 1 part Perlite. The other 3 buckets I used a mix of 70% peat moss, 20% Vermiculite, 10% Perlite (as I had seen this recommended on GlobalBuckets.com.

I made sure the mix was super wet before adding to the buckets.

My concern is that to me the dirt mixture feels like it is really drying out, especially the first inch or so. I water the buckets every night via the fill tube. If I stick my finger down more than an inch, it does start to feel slightly moist, but not very much.

Some of my tomatoes have started to have the bottom set of leaves turning yellow, and curling.

Now I must say that the plants didn't quite look in pristine condition when I got them, and when I asked the garden center where I bought them, they said it was due to the late frost that we had gotten here in Ohio last month, but that the plants should bounce back once planted.

So now I don't know what to think.....I am hoping that all this work and money I spent doing these buckets hasn't gone to waste because the dirt is drying out too much. I have occasionally been giving them some water directly to the top of the soil just because I am worried.

Please advise, thanks.

Comments (3)