SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bingster

Hey Farkee---Bingster here

13 years ago

Hi Farkee,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but computer at work doesn't let me log in

I know you said in a previous post that you use Fertilome Fertilizer-- what is the NPK of the one you use as they make lots of different ones?

It's the tomato and vegetable food: 7-22-8 plus micronutrients.

Do you add anything else?

I do add about a cup of Epsom salt.

Where do you put your fertilizer strip as the plants seem pretty much in the middle? Do you use 2 cups of fert.?

Actually, the 2 plants are offset equally from the middle of the box. I put the strip right in the middle from front to back. Probably about two cups.

Even though the plastic mulch cover is not keeping rain out you obviously don't have a problem with rain collecting underneath the plastic and wetting the strip. I am guessing that the plants are so big not much rain gets in but what do you do in the beginning or has it never been a issue.

I buy 55 gallon black trash bags and cut them in half (side to side in the middle. Then they slip nicely over the box and I snug them down. The half with the bottom seal makes a nice tight fit. The upper half, I close up with staples. This year I was lazy and just laid plastic over the top to try and keep in some moisture. Next year I won't be so lazy! Water intrusion is not an issue...even this year.

I know you said you used Josh's plans to make the boxes--I made a few myself using his great idea of cutting a 2nd container and flipping it for the aeration screeen or platform.

Wondering if you use landscape fabric over that screen?

I do...but next year I think I'm going to switch to window screen material (you can get rolls of it pretty cheap) cut to fit over the bottom. I will also drill out the screen where the holes are in my reservoir bottom so the roots can grow down into the water itself.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Bing

Comments (8)

• 13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bingster,

I know you are directing this Post to Farkee, but one would of advice re: roots. The first 2 Seasons I let the plants go down into the water reservoir through the aeration holes - - and what a MESS! Terrible job to clean them our of the water reservoir at the end of the year.

For the past 2 Seasons, I have used the water permeable Landscape Fabric (mid-grade DuPont at Lowes $14.00 for 50 feet), and two layers have effectively kept all but the most determined tap roots from drilling through. I would also suggest that taste of the tomatoes has now improved and don't have a "hydroponic" flavor, as the roots are never allowed to enter the water reservoir.

Just some thoughts to consider, Bingster.

Raybo

• 13 years ago

Bingster, thanks so much for the additional info.

Raybo, I think the landscape fabric makes the mix wetter ,despite being water permeable, as it restricts airflow. I tried something similar (ie underground pipe wrap) and those boxes seemed wetter. Before when you used Miracle Gro Potting mix (predominately peat) they must have really stayed wetter with the fabric. Wetter boxes would cause all the yellowing leaves and other ramifications.

Again I am just surmising this based on limited experience with covering the peforated platform. I should do an experiment to see if this is true.

I think you are on the right track though to find a more aerated mix. That way you could still use the landscape fabric you like and still have a 'dryer' mix. I still think screening might be a better choice to keep the necessary airflow intact but I will have to experiment with that as that is the only way to know for sure. Good luck with all your trials.

• Related Discussions

Hey! There's Worms In Here!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Nice, they look happy. My group has a very different look today. They don't care for snow and just sit in the doorway looking disgusted at the white stuff on the ground. They don't sound like they are saying nice things about it either. I think by tomorrow they will able to go scratch up some dirt like your girls.
    ...See More

Hey, what's going on here?

Q

Comments (51)
    Thanks for caring, my friends. I have Grave's disease which is an overactive Thyroid, and I got all the goodies that go with it, like bulging eyes, shaking hands, swollen feet, etc., and a nodule on the thyroid gland which they are testing to see if it is cancer- or hopefully not and they can just cut it out. The 2-day test starting today was just a low dose, but they may hit me with a higher dose of radioactive iodine to destroy the thyroid. I just go from one day to the other now, but I kicked my daughter and grandkids out of the house, so as not to expose them, and to be on the safe side. If you know me, (which you don't), you also know that I tackle everything with a positive attitude. I have had worse things than this happen to me in my life, and I will conquer this one, too. I love you for asking what happened. Not too many people care any more. And rest assured, I care about you and what is happening in your lives. You have all become my friends, and I treasure your friendship over the GW. Let's all stay in touch Hugs Ingrid
    ...See More

OT Hey! John Best...Look in Here!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hey guys/gals thanks for the salutations. After my BM, I had dinner prepared by my personal chef (DW). Lasagna, salad from the GH and a glass of red wine, followed with triple chocolate cake and French vanilla ice cream. Right now, I am a little sleepy I will see youns tomorrow. John Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal
    ...See More

Hey everyone! (I'm new here)

Q

Comments (3)
    What's up Bill! Been on Contractor talk lately? Tile rep is a lady named Linda at Avalon in South Philly... Brutuses - NO I am not "selling stuff" my motives are just as I stated - I'm not a spammer by any means, but seeing as I'm self-employed, you'll probably see my website's link in my posts!
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Hi Raybo,

Your garden looks great as always!! You are right about the additional mess of cleanup at season's end. But what I found after my year trying this was that I had huge root masses in the reservoir. My plant stems were huge and the plants were extremely robust...better than my last 3 years. I have never found a water problem, that is, my soil being so moist that it was detrimental to the plants. Part of the fun is experimentation so maybe I'll do a couple of trial buckets to see. Hope all is well in Cal.!!

cheers

Bing

• 13 years ago

I'm also on the anti-landscape fabric bandwagon. I was testing wicking setups this past winter when I noticed that landscape fabric against small holes (1/4" and less) in plastic really restricts drainage (and wicking). I saw the same thing last year when I foolishly used it over a side drain hole in a SWC bucket (it didn't drain, raising the water level above the soil bench and drowned the plant).

This year, in most of my SWCs I'm using a layer of plain bark nuggets at the soil bench. It helps keep mix from falling through and I'm hoping will also create air pockets.

For SWC's that used a flipped bench (like the Earthtainer), I'm using fiberglass window screen with a layer of bark nuggets on top.

Now that I think about it, using a layer of bark nuggets under and over the landscape fabric might work just as well. If you look at drain tile (that black plastic pipe used in landscaping), you'll see that the holes sit down in grooves. This keeps an air pocket between the fabric and the holes.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about, just take a couple of plastic cups and put a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of each. Glue a circle of landscape fabric inside the bottom of one (I used hot glue). Fill both with water and see the difference. Now add potting mix to both cups, water well, and see how the they behave over a couple of days.

I don't know if allowing water roots to run wild into the reservoir will effect taste or not. I've read opinions that it does, and opinions that it doesn't.

I think one reason why clean out of the Earthtainers is such a bear, is the cages are connected to the soil bench and really get in the way. I used a similar setup with my 18 gallon SWCs last year, and found the integrated cage made both setup and clean out more of a chore. I really like the integrated cage though, so I came up with an internal frame to support the cage:
    {{gwi:28086}}

This is a dual tote 18/14 gallon SWC from last year that I retrofitted for wicks and the frame:
    {{gwi:1347200}}

{{gwi:1347201}}

{{gwi:1347202}}
    Note: there's also 2 pieces of 4" drain pipe underneath for support. I'm going to add uprights to the frame at the corners to eliminate these in the future. They're not needed with a flipped bench design.

{{gwi:1347203}}

The cage just slips into the frame after the plant is in and the mulch cover is in place:
    {{gwi:1347205}}

When the plants get bigger, I'll probably tie down the cage to the corners. Last year, I just used the holes in the handle:
    {{gwi:1347207}}

I'm not totally happy with the cost of the internal frame (mostly from the dozen 3/4" T fittings), but I really like the convenience and stability it provides (cage is supported at the ground, not the soil bench. It took some time to figure out the proper lengths needed, but once I had that figured out it was a breeze to cut a large number of pieces on my Crosscut saw and pop them together (dry fit).

I have to give credit to both Raybo (for the integrated cage idea) and Big Al (for his removable cage and bottom support Earthtainer modifications) for the genesis of the idea.

The dimensions of the middle and end cross pieces are 5-5/8", the bottom uprights are 3", and the bottom extensions are 3-1/2". I think the upper uprights are 18" for the dual tote, and 16" for the flipped bench. This setup works with the Lowes heavy duty tomato cages, that measure about 7" between legs at the bottom ring. They aren't always welded symmetrically, but the uprights have plenty of give to accommodate this. To make the holes in the soil bench, I use a 7" square of cardboard centered on the bench and make a mark at the corners, then use a hole saw to cut out for the upper uprights.

• 13 years ago

farkee,

Experimentation is what makes this hobby so much fun!

The first Season I used Landscape Fabric, I bought the "cheap" cloth fabric stuff from Home Depot. I agree that this caused additional wicking and wetness. It also did not stop the roots.

For the past 2 Seasons I have used 2 layers of DuPont mid-grade Landscape Fabric form Lowes:

{{gwi:45479}}

This brand of Landscape Fabric, while air and water permeable will NOT wick water - it is a nylon type of material that can't absorb water, only pass it through where it makes contact with the moist potting mix in the wicking basket. I am quite happy now with this Landscape Fabric, as I want to not have to empty the EarthTainers every year and clean them out: This is what happens when you let the roots grow down into the water reservoir:

{{gwi:19500}}

A real freakin mess to disassemble and clean out each year!!! Now, I can simply pull out the root ball, and trowel in a cubic foot or so of new Combo Mix at the beginning of the new Season. I plan to do this for 4 consecutive Seasons, then change out for all new Combo Mix at the beginning of Season 5.

Bingster, as you spent $270 for new Potting Mix this Season (and you indicate you will do it again at the start of every new Season), I would suggest you experiment with a few of your Containers using my approach, to see if you can re-use the Combo Mix for 4 years.

Anyway, let's keep everyone informed of our collective experiments with what works - - and what doesn't.

Raybo

• 13 years ago

Raybo,

That's exactly the brand of Landscape fabric that I have. The problem isn't that it wicks, but that when placed against plastic with smaller holes it loses a lot of it's water permeability, keeping the bottom layer of potting mix extra wet and impeding air exchange. Just try the cup test I mention in my previous post and I promise you'll be surprised.

• 13 years ago

...also, I don't recommend that anyone building an Earthtainer omit the landscape fabric will-nilly. Raybo's instructions call for landscape fabric between the wicking chamber and soil chamber. Based upon my observations, the lansdcape fabric restricts wicking to the soil chamber. If you eliminate the fabric, you may over saturate the mix, even though you have better drainage and air exchange at the soil bench (or it may balance out and work fine). So, if you want to try it without landscape fabric, you might need to keep the landscape fabric over the wicking chamber, or use any number of other ways to adjust the wicking. Just be aware.

The reason I'm exploring the issue of landscape fabric in SWCs is that one of the supposed benefits of the original Earthbox design is the extra root aeration from the holes in the soil bench improve plant health and yields. It's hard to imagine Raybo could get better yields, but you never know. If it does turn out that the fabric reduces yield, it still may be worth using it to avoid the cleanout issue, or possible taste issue. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find that the landscape fabric contributes to the bottom layer of mix staying saturated and even going Anaerobic, leading to that sulfur smell Raybo experienced at clean out.

• 13 years ago

Ferretbee, I agree , with 2 layers of landscape fabric (or even one) I think the mix stays wetter particularly with a peat mix hence the smell. I have experienced this myself on a box that got clogged up. Boy did it smell! But I see what you mean about leaving it over the wicking area to prevent too much saturation.

You obviously can get good yields from a mix that is overly wet because Ray has done this in the past but you run into the problems he is working on now. One bit wetter though and you drown the roots and the plant really suffers.

I know all about the roots in the reservoir but I still would worry about restricting the air flow that the holes in the platform provide. But as I said maybe a mix with more porosity (Ray is working on that) will solve the leaf yellowing and diluted taste he experienced.

I still have a feeling that screening would be better even though some roots may grow through. I have used pieces of screening in the bottom to prevent the mix from falling through around the edges of the platform where my very old earthboxes have bowed out a bit but didn't pay much attention to the effect on the mix--next time I will.

Ferretbee, I can appreciate your efforts to find a support method that detaches easily. Wouldn't want to clean out any boxes where the support took time to remove or got in the way of me setting up the boxes. But it does seem like that is an awful lot of pipe connections as you mentioned.
    I just use the same concrete reinforcement wire that everyone uses in the ground though I have an idea to use galvinzed fencing but I have yet to put together what I have in mind. Keep tinkering--there is always room for improvement!