SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orialana

Brand new setup question

orialana
16 years ago

I only learned about worm composting a couple months ago, but I was so fascinated by it, I ordered one right away. I've browsed this forum for hours at a time over the last few weeks, but now I have a question that maybe someone can answer and ease my anxiety over my new setup.

I purchased one of the stackable tray type composters. That was the kind I was first introduced to and it made sense (I did some worm raising in a bin when I was a kid and it didn't work as well as I'd hoped). Before the worms arrived, I setup a tray with some nice coconut coir bedding (I squeezed as much water as I could out of it. I also setup another tray with shredded paper and food scraps.

When the worms arrived, I put them in the tray with the bedding, put the tray near a light, and they quickly crawled down into the bedding. Then, I put the tray with the shredded food scraps on top. The tray was essentially sitting on the bedding below.

From what I've read, these worms will take a while to get acclimated to their new bedding and might hang around the coir. It seems to me like comfy worm bedding! However, this morning I noticed all the worms came to the top of the bedding and tons of them have crawled up into the bin with the food. Most of the holes are full of worms making their way into the food bin, and the ones still in the bedding seem to be anxiously waiting in line.

My concern is the "overfeeding" caution that I've seen so often. Are they fleeing the comfy coir for some reason, only to meet their death in the bin of 100% paper and food? Or are they just hungry and off to a good start? (I hope ::crossing fingers::)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm