SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

To fertilize or not

sue_ct
11 years ago

Some of you might remember my post this past winter about trying to increase productivity, and my surprising soil test results (Alkaline soil and too much organic matter and nutrients). I brought in plain top soil to level off the raised bed and was able to till it just enough to level off the bed. Then I fell in the garage and had trouble even walking, so I just barely got the plants in while limping and using a few choice words, and did not get to till the topsoil well into the underlying nutrient rich soil.( I ended up on crutches, but the foot wasn't broken, although I am sure I didn't help it much by continuing to stand and walk on it until the tomatoes were in, lol. Anyway, I fine now.) That was on May 20th. The plants were planted deep, and I have assumed so far that they will put out enough deep roots to get all the nutrients they need from the underlying soil, even in the end where it is down 8 inches or so below the purchased top soil. They seem OK so far, although temps have gotten cooler than I would like again.

Am I probably OK leaving them be at this point unless they show signs of problems? I probably over thinking this, but I just wondered, since soil tests only ask for the top 5-6 inches of soil to test, if there is any evidence that plants take up more of their nutrients from that area than deeper down. I don't want to create the same problem, if it ever really was a problem, by adding more fertilizer when it is not needed.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor