SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Burying worm bins & other newbie questions....

emyers
15 years ago

I live in SC and was wondering if I were to make and bury a bin in my yard (ideally in direct sun) if I'm going to have a problem with the bin getting to hot in the summer or too cold in the winter.

Can I keep a lid of sorts on it all year round?

Will my worms leave if I don't put a bottom in it? Was thinking hardware cloth only, that way, if it did get too hot or cold, the worms could go somewhere else, hopefully to return later. Or maybe there is a benefit to having a flat bottom made of wood with spaces between slats (or solid concrete?) that would allow for shoveling out of the worms and vermicompost?

If I build the bin, and feed it will native worms come and populate the bin?

Looking for low maintenance worm bin that I can skim off some vermicompost maybe a couple times a year.

To be able to do this do I need more than one in ground bin?

Was also wondering about the depth and size of the bin for a family of four.

Any good info/links on inground bins?

I'm already composting so was wondering what the distinct reasons for vermicomposting are. I mean, it takes the worms longer to do the job than straight composting correct?

Planning on getting chickens. How does that fit into the worm equation? Do I want my worm bins next to my chicken house kind of like my normal compost piles? What's the relationship (if there is any).

Can dried leaves or pine bark fines be used as bedding? Think I'm trying to not to have to "deal" with the shredding of newspaper etc.

What's the low labor method of dealing with worms?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus