SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmt903_gw

left my bin dormant, now lots of bugs

gmt903
14 years ago

I'm sure this question has been answered, but I can't seem to find it in the forum.

I started my bin last December 08. I started a second tray sometime in late spring, and I harvested for the first time this summer, I think sometime in June or early July. I am now back to one tray, and kinda *forgot* about the worms this summer due to traveling and other things. I'm thinking that I didn't feed them for at least a month, maybe more. A few weeks ago, I went to check on them, and noticed tons of little bugs in the tray. Mostly tiny white bugs, but also a few tiny black (hopping?) bugs. They move (jump? hop?) very quickly when I pull aside the compost.

My bin is in the basement, by the way, which keeps good temps and is dry.

So, I guess my question is what should I do about this? How can I get rid of them? Obviously they hatched while the worms were NOT being fed, and thrived on the lack of food. I'm wondering if I didn't have enough bedding in my tray to begin with, and maybe that was/is the problem. My worms seem okay, although they aren't reproducing like they were in the late spring/early summer.

Thanks for any help or links you can provide!

~ Gina

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County