SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willow74_gw

Small Trees for Privacy in Central Texas

Willow74
10 years ago

I want to plant a life privacy fence that is over 6ft tall and 20ft wide. My house in at bottom of the hill on a cul-de-sac and I can see people and cars passing by from my back yard. I do have a privacy fence that is 6ft tall. I want a plant that is dense, grow fast and evergreen. The plants will receive full sun most of the day. I am looking at big bushes or small trees like Pride of Houston Yaupon Holly, Wax Myrtle, Little Gem Magnolia, and Texas Mountain Laurel. I went to Lowes yesterday and I found 4ft tall one trunk Texas Mountain Laurels in a tree-form for $75.00; 1ft tall multiple trunks Wax Myrtles for $16.98; 6ft tall Little Gem Magnolia for $149; and 4ft tall Pride of Houston Yaupon Holly for $80. The Wax Myrtle looked like a Wax Myrtle, but with lighter leaves and did not have the smell of a Wax Myrtle.

I like the idea of planting Wax Myrtles; but I am worry that the ones that Lowes carries are not Wax Myrtles; are only 1ft tall; got black spots on the leaves; and it will take a while to grow. Do Wax Myrtle needs to be certain height before the leaves start smelling? Does anybody have experience with Wax Myrtle? How fast they grow? I have attached pictures of the Wax Myrtle from Lowes

I like Texas Mountain Laurels, they are slow growers; but Lowes has 4ft tall trees. How fast do they grow?

Little Gem Magnolias are beautiful, but I will need about 4 plants to fill the space, and no sure if the trees are good for life privacy above 6ft fence. At $149 a pot that is almost $600, and my husband does not want to dig 4 big holes.

For the Pride of Houton Youpon Holly, I will have to wait until the fall to buy them; because I want to make sure I get the female Hollies. Do this type of hollies grow fast?

What would be a good small tree to plant for upper privacy? Please help!

Comments (7)