SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseblush1

New to Growing Toms

roseblush1
11 years ago

First let me say "Thank you for all of the information on this forum."

By reading some of the old post, I've learned that I have already made some mistakes, but you have saved me from making others. In many ways I am a novice gardener. I know how to grow weeds quite well and roses. I have to learn everything else going forward.

I've only planted three tomato plants in a raised bed, but to my rosarians eye, they don't look too good.

I found out that my raised bed is too shallow and that I should have dug the soil under the bed down about a foot. However, I am gardening in glacier slurry and that would have taken about two days of hard labor. My bed is only 6" tall, but the glacier slurry does drain well.

I should have had the toms planted by Memorial Day, but I didn't get them in until June 12th. Ooops. I've only deep watered twice in the last two weeks. Are deep waterings preferred vs watering the top few inches ? My summer temps range from 95 to 105 for weeks at a time. Is that a problem ?

Thanks to one of the posts here, I didn't feed the plants this week as I had planned. Of course, they are not fruiting ... they just got planted.

What looks unhealthy to me is that the foliage seems to be a more of pale green than mid-green. Is that normal ? Should I be doing something ?

Do you remove damaged leaves ? Oh, and can the leaves get wet when watering if there is sufficient time for they to dry out before the day temps cool off ?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I did have fewer questions before I started reading this forum. Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Smiles,

Lyn

PS ... I'll keep reading the posts here. The information I've found here is better than the books I've read for my research.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths