SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

Snail Vine Questions NOT Caracalla

floridabear
16 years ago

Hi. I have a few questions about the Snail Vine...Vigna Phaleous...not the Caracalla that everyone is so nuts about for some reason. The one that has the big light purple flowers and is much easier to grow and get to flower. I got myself a big plant of it on EBay..after trying to grow the Caracalla so many times, it just wouldn't grow. It would get to like 1 foot tall then it just stopped growing. I have no idea why.

Anyway. I hear that the purple Snail Vine is so easy to get it to grow and flower. Does it have to be a certain size before it will bloom? I was told it grows like a weed and will bloom like one to, especially here in south Fla. So I have a nice small vine growing now. Only in the ground for 2 weeks and it has doubled in size,about 2 feet tall runners so far.

So I guess my basic questions are.

1. Is it as easy to get to bloom as I hear?

2. Is it a heavy feeder. I was told to give it litle food because it grows so fast and wild it could become a 'pest' of a vine. Or do I not feed it much?

3.The other BIG question I have is..how to get it to set seeds? I keep hearing that it blooms easily, BUT getting it to SET seed is next to impossible. Obviously whatever fertilizes it doesn't live in the USA. Can it be done by hand?? I would think you just peel off the flower petals to expose the stamens and pistil and just fertilize it myself...right? Does anyone have experience doing this...or is this a dumb idea??

4. Lastly...is it a drought tolerant vine or a water hog, or in the middle? I am keeping it wet right now...and it is doing good. But I was told it is a ' leave it alone and watch it grow' kind of vine. True or not? So I am asking these questions. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Comments (7)