SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slego_gw

fungus gnats in worm bin

slego
18 years ago

Hi. I've had a worm bin for about 6 months now. It's a very basic rubbermaid container type of bin with shredded newspaper bedding that stays in my basement. It has ventilation holes in the sides, but none on the bottom (until this morning).

Previously, I had a white mite infestation that got better when I began adding dry shredded newpaper along with the food.

Now, however, I believe I have a fungus gnat infestation and it's unpleasant. The little critters can fly and walk and they don't have red eyes (which is why I don't believe that they are fruit flies although they are fruit fly size). I believe there are also fungus gnat larvae in the bin (tiny, skinny white worms). The flies/gnats are not just in the bin --they're in the basement too-- but I know they are coming from the bin.

I have fly paper hanging in the bin and near the window where they congregate after they leave the bin. I have gone so far as to try to vacuum out the bin (and I've gotten a bunch of the critters this way, but of course not all).

I just put some very small drainage holes into the bin in the hope that this might help dry it out just a bit.

The worms are as happy as they could be and are totally oblivious to all the activity going on around them.

I'm afraid my husband, who had been very tolerant of having worms live in the house, might reconsider if the gnat problem dosn't improve.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

slego

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath