SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

new -fotess - sowing the seeds!

sjc48
12 years ago

Welcome to the first Friends of the Earth-Simple Swap!

We're calling it "Sowing the Seeds", because that's what we want to do: sow the seeds of recycling, reading, seeding and keeping it simple!

First, a word for new members: if you would like to join this swap, we would love to have you! You will need to send your info to Jeanne or I by Sept. 30th to be able to participate in the Oct. swap. If you miss that deadline, don't worry, send your info anyway, and you'll be all set for November's swap.

Also, if you haven't received you address list, please let Jeanne or I know.

Okay, Lets get started!

For this swap, we'll be sending:

1. A gently used issue of one of your favorite gardening, crafting or cooking magazines-older issues are fine.

2. 1 or 2 packs of seeds-your choice-SMALL amounts, just enough for someone to try.

3. A VERY small, recycled/homemade gift-plant labels, bookmarks, seed envies or maybe even a newspaper article (s)from your hometown paper about our themes. Be Creative! Send one or two gifties, please, no more than three.

SMALL, SIMPLE, RECYCLED, HOMEMADE, NO MORE THAN 3!

But before you do all that:

When you sign up, post one really weird/different/unusual item that you recycle. Mine are the ink cartridges for my printer. Hey, I get 2 bucks apiece for them!

Then, you will need to come up with a list of words, using the words "Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps", and email the list to me. NO 2 LETTER WORDS!

Obviously, the person with the most words goes first when choosing our packages, and then on down the line.

Next, email me the name of your magazine, along with the issue date or month, with all the letters scrambled. Example: oogdgieepoeseohkbmsteerpe = good housekeeping September.

I'll post them all when we have the choosing order established, so you can unscramble them and choose the one you want!

There might even be a game, after sign ups, if I can think of something simple!

The deadline for joing the swap is Oct. 14.

The deadline for emailing me your list of words and scrambled magazine is Oct. 15.

I'll post the choosing order and the magazine list on Oct. 16.

You can mail in a padded envelope, whichever size fits your magazine.

Priority mail isn't necessary, BUT a delivery confirmation number is! It's to be posted here when you mail your package.

If you choose not to play the word game, that's fine. Those names will go at the end of the list, when choosing.

I get to go last!

The deadline for mailing our packages is Oct. 26th.

So, there you have it, folks!

Any questions or concerns, post here!

Jeanne and I would like to welcome all of you to our inaugural swap - let's start sowing the seeds!

Shirley!

Comments (76)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You got it, Margo! Thanks!
    Shirley!

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    12 years ago

Count me in on this swap! But, I won't be participating in the word games, so just put me somewhere on the bottom of the list.

Recycling Tip: I cut my used bottles of water in half and use them to ferment my tomato seeds in. I probably shouldn't buy the water bottles at all...but it's kind of a convenience for me! : ) I'll email my magazine issue to you this evening and thanks!

• Related Discussions

sow(ed) seeds, but the dirt?!

Q

Comments (2)
    The methods you have described are so out-of-the-ordinary that it is difficult to know where to start. How about first letting us know where you live or at least your gardening zone? That would help a great deal. The peat pellets are notorious for mold and fungus problems so it is important to NOT over-water them and "white fuzz" is usually fungus growth so cut back on the watering and let them dry out on the surface a bit and it will go away. Some suggest watering them with some peroxide in the water but that only makes them wetter. The seeds are not ruined unless they have rotted from being too wet and if they survive there is no reason why you couldn't eat what they grow. I don't understand all the putting them in or on the car part. Either put them in the GH and leave them there or in the house and leave them there. You might want to go over to the Growing from Seed forum here and read the many good FAQs and discussions there about how to do this. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed forum
    ...See More

Sow(ed) seeds, BUT!

Q

Comments (1)
    Putting your location and zone information in your profile will help tremendously as no one has a clue where you are or your growing conditions. Thanks and good luck.
    ...See More

WANTED: Interest in a Winter Seed Sow after the New Year?

Q

Comments (6)
    What a great idea..wish I could make it. Have fun and next year there will be even more great plants to brighten many spots here and there.
    ...See More

Seed sowing and winter sowing

Q

Comments (3)
    Carla, I do both direct sow and Winter Sow. I direct sow seeds if I have a huge collection of them. I Winter Sow those seeds that I don't have too many to waste in the rain or snow. I like Winter Sowing because of its ease and it does not require as much care and expense as indoor sowing. I also have a lot of success with it. I am able to grow a lot of seeds that I failed to grow indoors. Please check out the link below. It's still not too late to start. The seedlings are healthy and grow very fast and well. They cost a lot less than those seedlings from garden centers or nurseries. Have fun. Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing FAQ
    ...See More
  • robin1962_2008
    12 years ago

Hi,I want to join this swap and I will play the word game!I`m excited about our new group!I use plastic grocery bags to cut in strips and crochet place mats or coasters.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning All! Welcome to Lisa and Robin! Glad you could join us!
    We've really been getting some great recycling tips! Robin, what a great idea for all those bags! Altho, I've cut down on plastic bags, since I started using cloth grocery bags.
    Have a great day, everyone!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

No word game required? Okay, sign me back up, please. I will email my mag later.
    Alana

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Shirley-Just wanted to let you know I won't be participating in the word game.
    Recycling tip-I use favorite Christmas cards of one year to make the following year's gift tags: cut into desired shape(s), punch a hole & string with ribbon/yarn. (Forming the intial of the recipient's first name adds a nice personal touch.)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Ok .. well maybe I DID do the word game right.. lol. I'll send it shortly. Let me just say I was really bored that night.. I really DO have a life...lol... What's 6 hours doing a word game, really... LOL :P

I still haven't picked a magazine to send yet... still working on that!

~Wendy

• smitties
    12 years ago

Just stopped by because I wanted to share my exciting news with you all. I spotted my first hummingbird in our garden today. We established all new gardens after building our home almost 5 years ago. It was originally farming land. I have added garden after garden and have planted several varieties to bring in the hummingbirds. I spotted this one resting on a shepherd hook and took some great pictures. I am putting out a hummingbird feeder tomorrow in hopes of filling them up for their long migration trip.

Smitties

• kellyk49
    12 years ago

Count me in also. I recycle planters when I see landscapers setting trees/plants around newly constructed buildings, I ask for their planters. This year I grew all of my warm veggies in large, recycled containers.
    I did the word count for 1 hour and my wrist is sore!! Wendy, I do not know how you kept it up for so long!!I'll send my magazine title in with my words.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everybody, sorry I haven't been on - I've been busy cleaning up the gardens, buying soil for WSing, and drilling holes in gallon milk jugs! Also had to take both printers to the repair shop. Saying lots of prayers for the little HP!
    SO! Welcome back, Alana, why do I feel like Horshack?!
    Welcome Kelly! I got your email with word list and mag name!
    Margo, great news about the hummingbird! I went all summer with just a few sitings, then in the past 3 weeks, have had one or two in here everyday! AND I got my first ever decent shot of one!
    Janine, thanks for the Christmas card tip; I got my box of old cards out last night and made about 2 dozen tags! I used my decorative scissors-they really look great and I love the idea of NOT paying the price for those little bitty tags!
    I am going to try a lot of the ideas mentioned here - keep them coming, folks!
    Shirley!

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

Count me out on this one. I have way too much to do right now. Trying to get the rest of the vegetables canned / frozen. Today is my last day of work and then I will be retired so will have time for other things. I have also started the "Autumn's Favorite" swap for October and I am sure that will keep me busy. There is still plenty of time to sign up. Have a good Friday everyone!

Ellie

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Happy retirement, Ellie! Isn't it a great feeling? We'll see you in some of the swaps a bit later.
    Smitties and Shirley, glad you are enjoying the hummingbirds.
    Great recycling tips from all!
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning!
    Ellie! Congratulations on your retirement-Enjoy! Hopefully, we'll see you on some of the other FOTESS swaps.
    It's a cold, rainy day here-guess I'll finish drilling holes!
    Shirley!

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Hi Ladies, I'm sorry I haven't been posting, Tooo busy

Ellie, congrats, I retired a yr. ago and have less time to do stuff then when I was working LOL

I'm still undesided to join,you girls are having such a good time, I just might. I'll sleep on it another night.
    (walking away from computer scratching my head, It's not like I getting married or somthing)LOL

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Congrats Margo on the hummingbird siting! I have very few flowers still going that they care about at all and tonight after working in the yard all day I was sitting in my chair.. it was nearly 8pm.. almost dark! And a lil hummingbird flew over and drank from some lantana blossoms.. right next to me! Sooo very cool! I never ever have a camera with me when these sort of things happen. :P

C'mon Carmen.. you know you want tooooooooo :P:P

~Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Congrats Margo on the hummingbird siting! I have very few flowers still going that they care about at all and tonight after working in the yard all day I was sitting in my chair.. it was nearly 8pm.. almost dark! And a lil hummingbird flew over and drank from some lantana blossoms.. right next to me! Sooo very cool! I never ever have a camera with me when these sort of things happen. :P

C'mon Carmen.. you know you want tooooooooo :P:P

~Wendy

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I just emailed my magazine title-I've been a little short on time this week.
    One of the things I recycle is wooden "boxes" from the sawmill. They make these squares and rectangles for various purposes (I confess I am not sure what exactly they do with them) in different sizes. They are open at the top and range from 12" squares up to really large deep pieces. I was ordering some lumber one day and noticed them lying around. They BURN them when they are through with them.
    Now, they give them to me. I use them as planters, tool boxes, plant covers during frost, temporary pot covers, pedestals-all kinds of things.
    Have a great weekend! I am going to a petting zoo and then a pumpkin patch and hayride with my best girl Allie.
    Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! I hope everybody had a great weekend! We had some sun here today, so I got outside and got my mini-hosta bed completed! Feels good to accomplish something in the gardens, after all the rain we had this week.
    I've received several of the scrambled magazines from those who have joined us. We still have 2 weeks left for people to sign up, if you are interested. Great to see how many have already signed up.
    Come on, Carmen, just sign up!
    Have a great week!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Just checking in. I hope everybody is having a good week - we've had two consecutive days of sunshine - WOOHOO!
    Getting lots done outside!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great news!! I now have a live trap sitting in my backyard, all ready for Mr. Groundhog!! It is baited with cantelope, something they supposedly really like-I'm praying this works-he has started on the middle bed, after having cleared the back bed. Wretch!
    Have a great day!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I hope you are able to trap the groundhog, Shirley. I think we must have had a vole or voles in one garden this summer. It killed a few of my favorite plants by eating all the roots. I transplanted a foxgove to that spot. I didn't notice anything else being eaten after that so I think it may have worked!
    Beautiful temperatures here but I am not taking a chance on trying to do anything in the garden yet. Hopefully soon...
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Count me in for this months swap! I will send my info off to you Shirley in the next few days. I may or may not play the boggle word game...will see how my brain and my time work together...LOL!
    I love saving the torn out/ripped up screen (from screen doors). I cover alot of my seedlings (in containers and in the ground)so the invaders of my yard do not eat them. In Sept, I planted a lot of bush and pole beans. After I put the seeds in the ground, I put containers with the bottoms cut out or wire cages on top of each seed and then top them with screen and of course secure it. The birds, rats and lizards can not get them. Once they get so tall, I remove the "security".

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome Annie, also Michelle! Glad to have you both joining us!
    Annie, I do something like that, for my WSed jugs once I take the tops off. I use old plastic fencing, left over from a veggie project, so that the squirrels don't dig out my sprouts!
    No luck with the trapping, yet. Drat!
    Jeanne, I think you have the right idea, take it easy and heal, so that you don't have problems out ahead!
    A friend and I spent the day walking the new trail out to Sterling State Park. It starts at the River Raisin Battlefield and joins the park trail at the lower end of the big lagoon. Someone told me that the new trail was a mile long - well - I think he had better go measure it again. That was at least 2 miles! Then we went ahead and did the whole loop around the lagoon area. At least 7 miles on the day! Got some great pics, but it will be an early bed time for me tonight! Great day, tho!
    Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi! Just popping in.

Shirley, just sent you my magazine. Let me know if you don't get it :)

Have a super day everyone!
    vina

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All! First of all, Vina, I didn't get your email; checked the spam too. Send again, please!
    Secondly, the groundhog is history! YES!!! I was sitting outside this morning and saw him come up out of his hole and walk right into the live trap! Matt came and took him away, who cares where! He is gone!!
    Set the trap again, in case he has friends or relatives in the area!
    Hope everyone is having a great day!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vina- just got your email with scrambled mag! Thanks!
    Also, Welcome Suzanne-got your email with word list and scrambled mag!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Friday, Everyone!
    We have a week left for sign-ups, so if you are lurking and can't make up your mind to join, you still have time to decide!
    So far, we have Jeanne, Wendy, Kelly and Suzanne playing the word game.
    And I need scrambled magazines from Jeanne, Wendy, Lisa, Robin, Annie, and, oops, myself! Should probably work on that!
    The deadline for joining the swap is Oct. 14th. The deadline for sending in your word list and/or your scrambled magazine is Oct. 15th.
    I'll be posting the choosing order and the list of scrambled mags on the 16th.
    Have a great weekend!
    Shirley!

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Still lurking! Work went from scary slow to being in the weeds! Better to be busy though. Thought I should check in though.

The NE is finally drying out! The weekend is suppose to be beautiful this weekend. I'm hoping to get some yard work done (and find the dining room table before company comes next weekend). Tonight the DH & I are seeing John Pinnette. Can't wait (it's a late birthday present.)

Have a good weekend everyone.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm at a standstill with my raised bed, so I thought I would post a game for all those who would like to play! This game is open to ALL members of FOTESS, whether you have joined this swap or not.
    We're going to play "Name That Herb!" I'm giving you the latin names for these herbs. In order to win, you have to give me the common names. Simple enough - I hope!
    The winner gets a choice of a package of Hummingbird Haven flower mix, or 6 jetfire mini daffodil bulbs. The runner up gets whatever is left! Hey, Let's play!
    Here's the List:
    1. Allium Tuberosum
    2. Echinacea Purpurea
    3. Galium Odoratum
    4. Matricaria Recutita
    5. Melissa Officinalis
    6. Mentha Pipeita
    7. Ocimum Basilicum
    8. Rumex Acetosa
    9. Tanacetum Parthenium

1. Nasturtium Officinalis - there are two answers to this herb, for a total of 11 answers!
      Let the Games begin!!
      Shirley!
  • canyonwind
    12 years ago

Shirley,

I am playing the word game. I could not resist...I started coming up with words and then I could not stop!! LOL!

Game time...fun time! Here are my guesses!

1. garlic chives
    2. purple coneflower...black sampson
    3. sweet woodruff
    4. German Chamomile
    5. lemon balm
    6. peppermint
    7. basil/sweet basil/common basil
    8. sorrel
    9. feverfew

1. watercress
    2. herbe aux chantes or scurvy grass
  • sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Drat! I forgot to say that I'll post the winners of the game on Monday, Oct. 10th. So keep those answers coming, folks!
    Annie, I'm glad you're playing the word game-email me your list when you are done!
    Later,
    Shirley!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Shirley ~ Just sent you my magazine scramble. Now I'm heading out into the yard for some much needed yardwork!

~Wendy

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Shirley -
    I sent my magazine title to you once again. The first e-mail must have gotten lost.
    Hi, everyone!!!
    I spent a long weekend at Camp Cheerio in NC at a retreat that is held through the GardenWeb Quilt Forum. It's a beautiful place in the mountains and we had a wonderful time. This is my second year attending it.
    I am so glad for fall weather! It is truly beautiful right now.
    Jeanne

• smitties
    12 years ago

Sending you my list of words from the word game. I could go on and on but I am afraid I will forget to send them to you. My next few days will be busy ones.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. The weather here was beautiful and we just got back from a great camping weekend trying out the camper we bought 6 months ago. We haven't had a chance til now. I always thought I would have more time when our five kids grew up. The oldest is 29 and the youngest will be 18 next week. We seem busier than ever.

Margo

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Shirley,

Just sent you via GW x 2 my scrambled magazine title. Post here if you do not receive and I will resend. I will get my words for the game off to you in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Annie and Margo, I got your scrambled magazines! So that means that we still need a scrambled name from:
    Lisa,
    Alana,
    Robin, and
    Me!
    The deadline is Friday, Oct. 14th.
    Well, Annie, you got all the answers to the game right, except for one. It's looking like there are THREE different answers for #10-Nasturtium Officinalis. Annie and I both got Watercress; Annie came up with Scurvy Grass. I'll give everyone until tomorrow night at 8 to come up with the other name that was on my list! It is really kind of easy!
    Hey, talk to everyone tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I sent my magazine a few days ago. I will find it and resend tomorrow. I'm on my way out right now.

Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alana-my mistake-I have it!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Okay, Thanks.

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Shirley,

I just emailed my words for "Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps". I thought I better not wait...but my brain is still coming up with words! Post here is you do not receive and I will resend.

I think I blew it....Was I supposed to email you the words for the game and not post here???? I do not see anyone else posting common herb names for the game. You can disqualify me!!

Happy Tuesday!!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Annie, you are all right. The list for the herbs was supposed to posted here.
    I just emailed you about your FOTESS word list-that WAS supposed to come to me, so you are all right there too!
    I'm having a really great day - had lunch with my daughter's college roommate/best friend - she was in town for a meeting of bank type people - was good to see her, it's been a while!
    Then, when I got home, I planted all my mini-bulbs out front AND filled in the groundhog hole!!
    Hey, later!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it looks like Annie wins the game - both by guessing the right herbs,and by default! Annie, let me know which prize you want!
    It's time to remind everyone that Friday, Oct. 14 is the last day to join this swap. Saturday, Oct. 15 is the deadline for word lists (if you are playing) and your scrambled magazine name.
    I'll post the choosing order and the scrambled magazine list on Sat. Oct. 16.
    Hope everyone had a great Tuesday!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Shirley,

Check your email...I resent my words last night. If you did not receive, let me know!

I won...cool! Since I am the only one who played, you do not have to send me anything. I simply love playing games/guessing games/thinking games and so on....

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Shirley ~ Did you receive my magazine name? Just checking! :)

~Wendy

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, does anyone else see the glaring error in my last post?! Sorry bout that!
    We're coming down to the wire with this swap, almost ready to begin swapping!
    Here are the deadlines:
    Friday, Oct. 14 - last day to join swap;
    Saturday, Oct. 15 - last day to post scrambled mag name and/or word list;
    Sunday, Oct. 16 - I'll be posting the choosing order and the list of scrambled magazines to choose from!
    I still need scrambled mag names from Lisa and Robin.
    Have a great day, everyone!
    Shirley!

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    12 years ago

Hi Shirley! I just emailed my magazine to you. I got a weird error message that it was rejected - I sent it through GW, so please email me and let me know if you DIDN'T get it.

Thanks Shirley! I know this first swap will be fun! - Lisa

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone had a great Friday!
    Well, today was the last day to join this swap. I need a scrambled magazine name from Robin, and we'll be all set to go on Sunday.
    I'll be posting a new thread for swapping, so be on the alert!!
    Later,
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Just a heads up - I'll be posting our order of choosing tomorrow, also the list of scrambled magazines to choose from!
    Let's get swapping!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Tomorrow (well, now it's today...) will be fun!
    I just wanted to mention that there will be a November swap and I will post the details after Halloween so watch for that at the beginning of November.
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning All! I'll be starting the new thread for swapping in just a few minutes; please use the new thread from here on out!
    Shirley!