SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

NEW: Sign ups October ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~ Fall Bounty

galium
15 years ago

We are taking sign ups for our October Swap. In most areas this will be the last month for sending plant divisions. Plus fall is right around the corner. So the October swap will be plant divisions (Echinacea, Daylilies, Irises, etc.) and bulbs. If some of you would like to swap seeds that is fine also. As always check with your partner when partners are posted.

RULES: Post DC# when you send and post when you receive. Contact your partner for their address. If you are new to this group you will need to send to your partner first. You must send by the deadline date, which will be posted on the new October thread. We don't send reminders.

Any question's please contact Michelle/micyrey or myself Mariann/galium.

Comments (40)

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    and goodmorning Mariann
    I'm in of course, I have some great perennials that grew so well this year with all the rain we had that I can devide many of them.

michelle

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances and I are going to swap seeds next month.
    Mariann

• Related Discussions

Cracked Pot Gardner's ~May~

Q

Comments (134)
    Linda-Your box arrived today. I love everything! You're sensational!!! Linda sent me the most amazing tropical plants. Cuttings from her Mother's Day Plants (Linda I had to look these up and I'm so excited to receive them)-Clerodendrum thomsoniae (Bleeding Glory-Bower) and Pandorea jasminoides 'Charisma' (Variegated Pandora Vine). Also Linda's favorite Coleus 'Stained Glassworks Trailing Plum'. There was a card in the box with stories on all the plants she sent. I love having a story to tell when I show people my plants. I also received 3 fans of Iris 'Above Board', Stokes Aster and Oxalis triangularis. I was very excited about the new Passiflora Chave. This plant was hybridized in Spain and newly registered. Linda traded for it. I also received gardening gloves, a Lucky Clover Grow Kit, a gardening sign that reads 'Life is a Garden tend it with Joy' and a Sea Horse water diffuser. I know just what pot I'm going to put this in. Plus there were seeds, 3 different Daylily seeds, Gerbera Daisy and Morning Glory Tree. Linda thank you so much for everything. I'm thrilled to receive plants with such a rich history. The cuttings are all in water and I'm going out to pot up the rest. Mariann
    ...See More

NEW: Sign ups Sept. 'Cutting Swap' ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~

Q

Comments (52)
    Ok Mariann, Since you put the presure on and you said Michelle would be posting partners on Sept 1 I guess I better go ahead on jump on the wagon too. I'm IN, I'M IN....jot me name down lady. HEHE. As long as it is for mixed cuttings and not just outside stuff. I have some, NOT many but some houseplants I can take a few cuttings from and a few things outside. I would just like to paired with someone who would like to receive housplants too, not just stuff that goes outside. I am NOT that great at rooting, unless it is easy to root...BUT I am game to try anything as I have a propogation station set-up from another thread I am ready to try out, so anything I get I can try an see how well my box works ;)! Fingers crossed, everybody wish me good luck with that...LOL. :) Fran
    ...See More

NEW: New Group - Friends of the Earth - Information/Sign Up

Q

Comments (70)
    Welcome, Dee, Becky and Lisa, glad you could join us! I spent the day dealing with my groundhog problem. He has cleared my back flower bed, and the hole he is digging is going to undermine my shed. Time for solutions! I called Animal Control and they gave me a list of people who will come to your home and trap the critter. Great. I called the first one and he wanted to charge me $100 to trap my groundhog. I'm serious. AND, I guess as an added bonus, he said they would also take it away. NO?! Really!? And I was thinking the critter would live in that trap in my backyard forever. Sorry for the sarcasm, but come on. In any event, a friend of a friend is, hopefully, coming over sometime this week to trap the groundhog AND take him away, free of charge. This guy has already trapped 13, yes, 13 groundhogs at his home/yard this year. This wasn't the most encouraging news I've had recently. Hey, on a more postive note: The first swap for FOTESS will be posted Saturday! Are ya ready!!? Shirley!
    ...See More

new: oct. 'garden decorating rr' taking sign-ups

Q

Comments (70)
    I received my box today from indyjoy. What a wonderful surprise. This is what she sent me 8 large cup narcissi bulbs, 4 candles, 3 of them are little pumpkins and the other is an orange candle, but she also sent something that is the cutest thing. It is a stuffed bear from the Bearington collection and she is all dressed up for halloween , holding a pumpkin. She has a green velvet hat on and her dress is green velvet with the skirt made in autum colors of oranges and greens. I already have a place for her in my doll room. I took my two sons bedrooms for my porcelain dolls I make when they left the nest. I have around 75 I have made. So she will be darling in there. She is just as cute as can be, I like every thing you sent Joy, and simpley love the bear. Thank you, Thank you. Ann
    ...See More
  • Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

;) I envy you all the rain! Wish we had got more, but won't comlpain it has been better than last year! Yes seeds will be good for me! I don't have much for trading at the moment, vereything is dry and crispy and my bulb orders will not be in till November. The only thing I have now that is fit to trade are canna, and it is just too early here to be digging those up!

off to browse my seed catalogues.....
    Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

If the mail out date is not too early, I would like to join in, but I would like a partner who can send at least some plants. With the hot, dry summer, I have not been able to "play" in my garden. By October I should be able to do that... finally!!! (Unfortunately, I think October is even a bit early to plant Spring flowering bulbs, but summer bulbs, rhizomes, etc. would be okay.) Lots of the beds need to be rearranged so I see a big project ahead. LOL
    Jeanne

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I would like to join. Oct is probably a bit too late for me to plant new stuff outside. But I would love to get some bulbs and I'm always up for getting new houseplants!! I also would be interested in trading seeds too. Need to get my seed "haves" list updated! I will also add some more of my perennials to my "haves" list. I have some that are ready to be divided and I can still do that into Oct (if we don't get a killing freeze first).

Amy

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi all, I posted once on here but it disappeared. I don't know what happened. I am in for this month. I would love to have a partner that can take some echinaceas. I have lots to share.

Smiles
    Tracy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

As usual I am thinking about it. I am not sure what I have to share at the moment. I am down to just a few plants here and there.
    I have lots of Sedum Brilliant to share.
    Anyway, if I get enough plants together I think I can share I will let you know if I can join.

:) Fran

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Count me in. I can do one more month of plants before the SNOW flies. Yuck! I hate using that "s" word.
    Louise

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Louise, lol at the "s" word! It is a bad one. The temps are getting pretty low at night around here. Mornings consist of long sleeve shirts and pants. Gone are the shorts! Wardrobe change is required sometimes midway through the day when the sun has finally been out long enought to warm things up.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Girls-Thanks for signing up. Looks like things are a little slow this month. Time to take a deep breath. Speaking of that I thought I would see my breath this morning it was so chilly!!! Had to put on my sweat pants and a jacket.

Hope we get a few more sign ups so we can mix partners up a little.
    Have a great evening
    Mariann

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Tracy,

I know...it's starting already. That little chill is in the air and it's still dark in the morning when my alarm goes off. Do you get a lot of snow in your area? We usually get about 100 inches during the course of the winter.

Louise

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Louise, we get a ton of snow each year. We are close to Lake Erie like you are. I believe you get more lake effect than we do. I know I will be thinking of you when I watch the local weather this winter.

It got so cold last night that I woke up and pulled a quilt on the bed in the middle of the night. Before we know it we will have the furnace on full time. I am not ready for the warm weather to disappear.

Mariann, I had a doctor's appointment this morning and was so cold I pulled out my jeans and long sleeve t-shirt to wear. That wasn't enough when I got in the van, still had to turn on the heater!

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

We consider this our spring! Finally temps dipping below 100 and nights are cooling off to the mid 70's - plants are perking up and nurseries are re-stocking with new plants ....

I'll join for October!

Thanks.

Sue G.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I may be interested in this one. I would like to do my last round of plants but would need a partner who can send early in the month. I can send bulbs,roots,small divisions of phlox paniculatas and maybe a few others and alot of seeds to winter sow. I don't mind having to mail first.

Tracy, those echinaceas sound great!!! Maybe we'll get paired up together and I can send you a few shade plants too.

Galium, please let me know if this will work, if so, I'm in for the month.

Lisa

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Sue,
    I am with you on thinking something like Spring is in the air! This is the first evening I have gone outside and the temperature has been comfortable in a long, long time. It's 79 degrees out there and no excess humidity. There was even a breeze most of the day. I went out and planted some iris that had to be put in the ground and did it in the afternoon!!! (Okay, those of you where the afternoons have not been scorching hot probably do not understand how significant it is to be able to work in the garden in the middle of the day... LOL)
    Just so you know, I don't mind receiving early in October, I just would prefer to send a bit later in the month. Because I want to redo some of my beds, I want to be sure it is cool enough to be digging up and relocating plants. That will be a good time to thin out my perennials, too.
    Glad to see that there are some more folks joining in.
    Jeanne

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Sue and Jeanne, I just can't wrap my brain around the differences in growing seasons sometimes. Hearing that this is like spring and the nurseries are restocking is simply mind blowing to me. The south is a whole different world. What is January like for you guys? Are the plants still green?

Lisa, I would happily pair up with you again! I have lots more echies to share than that too. All my winter sown babies are gigantic and nice looking. I am itching to hit the end of the season sales to see what goodies are out there. What goodies have you found lately?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Tracy,

I haven't been buying much lately. I did pick up a huge pot of montauk daisies yesterday on the way home from the dr.

I think digging out the four yards of red mulch and replacing it with black pushed my back and neck over the edge. It was worth it though, it looks great!

I did some investigating on the net and it says that I can safetly plant until Oct 8th.

I do have some pretty good garden pics, i'll try and get them posted.

I'll wait to hear from galium before I go looking for plants to box up for someone.

Lisa

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Oh, my back aches just thinking about you pulling out all that mulch and replacing it. I bet it looks gorgeous and just how you wanted it. I am still waiting for all of your beautiful pictures to be posted! I looked at the september pictures thread and didn't find them. I can't wait to see them.

I think the early part of the month will be the safest bet for me to plant too. I know I've planted mums around then and they've done well for me in the past. I need to start lifting my dahlias before it gets too cold. They bloomed so nicely for me this year that I want to replant them in the spring.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa-Michelle will post partner's, on a new CPG thread, at the end of the month. She'll partner you up with someone who is trading the same items. Hope that will be soon enough for you.
    Welcome!

Tracy-It's 6:30am here and burrrrrr!!! I am walking around the house with sweats and a jacket on. My Toad Lilies are blooming!!! Have to get out there and take some pics.

Sue-I don't know how you can keep anything alive, during the summer in AZ. My sister lives in Tucson and it gets so hot there. We've been out 3 times but always in the late winter or early spring.

Jeanne-Glad you are getting some cooler weather.
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Mariann

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

Well January IS our coldest month, lawns are dead etc then unless you put in winter rye which a lot of people do. The winter rye is much greener than our summer bermuda by a long shot.

And, well, green is relative.

Everytime I go back east I'm reminded of what green REALLY looks like. Our green in Arizona is kind of grey-green unless you go up north - LOL.

It is very challenging to keep thing alive in the summer. Water water water is pretty much it. And you can only water in the early morning or evening......

The hard core gardeners here spend all day outside October-March........and you should see what they can do!

Sue

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Sue, Jeanne

I am with you, this IS the season for gardening! I get to the point in summer when I cannot stand to look at the garden. Just the thought of dragging the hose around is depressing. But cooler temperatures and the rain we have had this past month has everything perking up! (Including ME) I do most of the 'heavy lifting' in the fall and winter.

It has been so pleasant outdoors this week I am not getting any 'work' done! temperatures seem to have fallen into the comfort zone early this year!

Anyway back to work have a great weekend everyone!

Frances

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Mariann, this morning was so much better here! I actually overdressed getting ready for my son's doctor's appointment this morning. It is beautiful out and I am already in shorts. Maybe this slight temp increase will be there for you tomorrow morning! I'm already back in shorts and a t-shirt! I've not seen toad lilies before. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Sue, I would love to see some pictures of your gardens as things green up for you. I am now very curious about Az gardening!

Frances, How are you? I hope the gardens are perking up and making you smile again. I am heading out now to do more fall clean_up. Brown will be the color here very soon. I might cry. Sniff.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is anyone interested in some lantana plants? They don't over winter here and I hate just throwing them out. Let me know.
    Mariann

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Mariann
    I would love lantana, I have 6 different varieties and love them all, most types overwinter here fine!

Let me know if there is naything on my list that you would like!

Frances

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances-You have mail.
    Mariann

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

Sigh.......

It's back up to 104 today........I'm having an early morning yard sale this weekend.....hopefully it will be nicer the following weekend so I can get some fall "prep" work done outside...........

Sue G

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Oh, Sue, I wish you lived near me. I would be asking if we could do a yard sale together. I need to sell lots of stuff. So sorry to hear you are still having such high temperatures. Good luck with your yard sale!!!
    Jeanne

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

It has turned positively chilly here this week (I am getting soft in this southern climate) mid 50's in the morning and I put on a jacket..... lol

My sinuses have been very bad, tons of mold and mildew in the air.... I am feeling like a human being for the first time in a week. Ready to get outside and clean up the mess the squirrels are making of the pecans. :(

At least they are leaviing the tomatoes alone!

Good luck with your yard sale Sue!

Have a great day everyone.

Frances

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow Sue,
    I am watching the news now, our temps here are 64 right now. The wind is blowing and rain is in the future for us tongiht/tomorrow.
    It is quite chilly, of course the temps are abnormally low for this time of year. BUT we need the rain so we can't complain! I just don't like be cold and I NEED to get outside to work but it is just to wind and cool. (BRRRR!!!)

:)Fran

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Oh Sue! That heat is terrible. My temps are running in the 50's at night with highs in the low 70's during the day. If I were you I'd stay out of the heat and sell your stuff on ebay! World's largest garage sale. That's where I get rid of my old junk, it almost always is somebody else's treasure there. LOL!

Frances, the mold has been terrible here too. The morning dew is very thick and perfect for the mushrooms to grow. You should have seen the fat clump of them that I removed the other day. They smelled like decay and after I had them on the shovel I saw that they were squirming with maggots. Blech!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Tracy
    Those mushrooms are disgusting! I saw a squirrel chewing on what looked like a big ripe tomato the other day and chased him off, when I looked down I saw a huge red mushroom with a lime green interior, almost threw up! It was gross, but the squirrels around here will eat anything (make that EVERYTHING) There are mushrooms everywhere, and they are all nasty. Going to have to see about some sort of fungicide I guess, my head is still aching from breathing that stuff.

Fran, I am with you SHIVERING...... sheesh, I want the rain, but bbbbrrrrrr (what a woos huh?)

Have a great day everyone

Frances

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue-104 is a little to hot for me. You have all those wonderful cacti that love the sun. The older I get the more my body doesn't want to adjust to extremes in temps.

I had a bizarre thing happen to me yesterday. I was looking for a screw driver, in a box of tools we keep by the back door, and my DH opened the door, from the outside. The door hit me in the head and I fell back wards across the room and hit the wall. Mind you the room is very small. I was just off balance enough to hit the wall. I now have a dent in my head and it hurts like the devil. Luckily, I didn't get knocked out. He feels terrible about it.
    Hope everyone has a good week end,
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Mariann, that is terrible! How does your head feel today? I am just cringing thinking about your poor dented noggin! I feel so bad for your hubby too. He must feel terrible.

Frances, this time of year I am popping claritin every day for that very reason. I can't stand how the mold makes me feel but at least this allergy medicine helps and doesn't make me drowsy. I don't know if there is a big enough bottle of fungicide to take care of the problem once the leaves start to drop and get all wet and moldy too. Ugh!

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tracy-My head still hurts. I'm suppose to get my hair cut today but I may wait. You know how those folks yank and dig fingers in when washing. OUCH.

We've had a mold problem here ever since we moved in. It's every where. Black mold on my car and in my house and about every mold you can think of. Sometimes, when I garden, I wear a mask so I don't breath in the mold spores.

Thought I'd post a list of everyone who signed up this month.

Mariann/galium
    Michelle/micyrey
    Frances/fcoffill
    Jeanne/sandlapper_rose
    Amy/dieg01991
    Tracy/tracyvine
    Fran/ncgardengirl??
    Louise/esiuol
    Sue/sguanzon
    Lisa/ishareflowers

If I missed anyone let me know.
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Mariann, that is so awful I didn't know you had bumped your noggin! Poor girl, you just get a little of this and a little of that left and right huh?

As far as the swap I think I am going to skip this one. I have some other things going on now I need to deal with and don't want to add to (no pun intented) my headache.

I wish I could, swaping is so much fun BUT sometimes we just have to refrain...SOOOO SORRY!!! :(

:) Fran

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Ooh, Mariann, I couldn't imagine even running a comb through my hair with that dent in there much less all they put your head through at the salon. Just thinking of them combing out sections before they snip with the scissors is making me shudder.

When I worked in a retail store years ago I had to sort some things in our stock room. The ceiling was very low, only 5ft high (I'm 5'10") and had pipes running all over it. I was always so cautious when working in there but one day I stood up in the wrong spot and hit my head on a brace holding the pipes and went out like a light. I had a dent in my head for quite some time. That was back when I used hot rollers every day to get myself ready for my day. Ouch, the memories!

Your mold problems are much worse than mine. The black mold can be especially dangerous. I just found some on one of the kids volleyballs that was left out under some bushes. I need to wash that with some bleach to remove it before they start playing with it again. I'm glad you wear a mask when it is bad. That stuff just isn't good for you.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran-Thanks for letting me know. You're right I really didn't need anything else right now.LOL

Tracy-Ouch! So you were knocked out? Luckily I wasn't but I found other injuries. I must have bent one of my fingernails backward and I have a scrape and bruising of my right shin. I told the girl, who did my hair, what happened and she was so gentle. Got a great hair cut but she's going on maternity leave in Dec. Every time I find someone I really like they leave.

The black mold here is the bane of my existence. It follows me everywhere in this house. I just can't get rid of it.
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Mariann, Yes, I'd never had anything like that happen before. One second I saw a bright flash from hitting my head and the next moment I was sitting on the pavement. It was like I blinked and that whole sitting down part was gone. A very odd sensation! I'm so glad your haircut went well and she was gentle with you. It's too bad she will be going on maternity leave. It is so hard to find the right person to do your hair. The lady I use only comes in 3 days a week and has teenage children. She works because she likes to and I pray she never quits! I love her because she actually listens to what I want her to do and does an awesome job.

Do you have a basement in your house? Have you run dehumidifiers to try to keep the damp out? Not a thing you can really do for mold outside though.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tracy-We have a dehumidifier that I can wheel around. Our house is built on a slab so there is no basement. Some of the worse mold is in the bathroom. It also collects on the refrigerator during the summer. Yuck!!! I hate it. I put little refillable dehumidifier containers in all of the closets but it doesn't help much.

You mentioned your height when you talked about hitting your head. I got a flash about my daughter. She is about 4 or 5" taller than I am. When I hug her I put my cheek on her shoulder. It seems so weird.LOL
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Mariann, I feel for you. Mom's are supposed to be bigger than us daughters. I'm about that much taller than my Mom too. It just feels odd when you're little and we're big. Bending down to hug my Mom feels so strange. I can't remember when I passed her up. We both laugh about it.

We had problems with mold in the bathroom at our old house. The moisture accumulated in there pretty bad. Once we installed a fan that vented to the outside it became much more manageable. It was horrendous to clean in there. Seemed like we needed to use increasingly strong cleansers which led to more issues with allergies from the chemicals. There are only a few that I can use without having a reaction. I don't know what's worse the mold or the cleansers?