SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

Spooktacular Halloween Swap

EricaBraun
9 years ago

Halloween will be here before we know it! I don't know about you guys, but I love Halloween. Us GardenWebbers might be too old to go trick or treating, but what could be more of a treat to a gardener than a big bag of seeds!

It's time for a Halloween Seed Swap! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Here's some interesting facts about Halloween that I only recently became aware of:
"In England and Ireland, Halloween lanterns were originally carved out of turnips and large beets. Faces of demons were cut into the vegetables then a glowing coal was placed inside. People carried these lanterns around the village or left them burning on doorsteps to frighten away evil spirits.

When the Irish immigrants arrived in America, they found pumpkins abundant and much easier to carve than turnips. And thus, the tradition of turning pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns began.

The custom of decorating with apples, pumpkins, cornstalks, and autumn leaves has its origin in an ancient Druid autumn festival called Samhain (pronounced SAH-win). The festival celebrated the end of summer and a successful harvest." - By Lisa Halvorsen, University of Vermont

This will give us a great baseline to get started!

RULES:
Qualifying plants come in three catagories:
1) Anything that can be carved into a Halloween lantern: turnips, beets, winter squash, pumpkins (please no NoID pumpkin seeds), or anything that you can reasonably argue can be made into a lantern.
2) Any plant with a Halloween themed name. Here are a few examples: "Ghost" Pepper, "Goblin" Gaillardia, "Witch" Hazel, "Blood"root etc. You'd be surprised how many there are!
3) Halloween colors. Anything with orange or black fruit, flower, or foliage. Examples include: Amana Orange tomato (orange fruit), black hollyhock (black flower), orange cosmos (orange flower), Black Pearl pepper (black foliage and fruit), Rustic Orange coleus (orange foliage), etc.

Only three packs of the same type of seeds are allowed. If you send in more than 3, the extras will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.

Minimum of 15 seeds per pack (10 will be sufficient for large winter squash seeds). No seeds older than 2013. Anything older than 2013 will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.

Send in however many packs you'd like, maximum of 100. Whatever you send in will be the amount that I return to you. Use a bubble mailer, as this is what I will use to return your new seeds. Include a return label with your address on it, as well as the postage it cost you to send, plus one additional stamp. This will help account for potential differences in weight/bulk, bonus seeds, prizes, etc. If you choose to send cash, rather than stamps, I will supply you with a PID number when I ship.

Include a list of what you have sent me so that I make sure to send you different seeds. If you have a preference as to what you get back, include it on this list. Please no more than five items on your request list. It can be specific, ie "ghost peppers", or general, ie "I prefer flowers." I will do what I can to fulfill your requests.

When I have all of the seeds, I will divide them up to send back to you. Any additional seeds welcome.

Deadline to get the seeds to me is Oct 22nd. I will get your new seeds out no later than Oct 27th. This will give the post office a full five days to get your packets to you, so that you receive them by Halloween.

Please respond here if you are interested. Remember, the more unusual or rare, the better!

Send seeds to:
Erica Braun
1894 Lindo St
Benicia, CA 94510

And since Halloween is a time for "tricks" as well as "treats," keep your eyes peeled for games I will be hosting throughout the month. Winners will get additional goodies added to their packs! Oct 1st we will start our first game: Bobbing for Apples.

Wishing you all a spooktacular Halloween!
Erica

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 22:04

Comments (150)

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rofl! Maybe we should see if we can get seeds from him!!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I always call mine Bhut Jolokia. People started calling them ghost due to a mistranslation and I hate to perpetuate wrong names like that. The name means pepper from Bhut. Neither word means ghost. I guess Pandora's Box is open.

When I got my seedling from a friend last year, he had already been growing them for six years. If you are interested, there is a long article on Bhut Jolokia in the June 2013 Smithsonian magazine, the food issue.

Mary E.

• Related Discussions

My Ghost Chilies Are Blooming!!!

Q

Comments (8)
    My chilies are slow grown. They are just beginning to turn. Growing in Oregon can be hit or miss when it comes to hot sunny days.. I'm hoping I can bottle a bit of sunshine to hold me over until spring.... "Hot Holidays to All"
    ...See More

Spooktacular Halloween Swap

Q

Comments (225)
    What a totally fab collection of Halloween themed seeds;...thank you so much for (you should pardon the expression...) undertaking the task of hosting this always-looked-forward-to swap. Thank you extremely much, also, for the prizes, etc.! Wow! Love your swaps,...they're always fun! :) - Big-BIG thanks to all who participated, and a very...
    ...See More

October FOTESS Swap - Halloween Party!

Q

Comments (419)
    Shirley! My amazing package arrived yesterday. Brian and I spent the day away from home, and checked the mailbox after we returned late last night. To my relief, your package and another was in there. I am starting to wonder if something drastic must be going on at our regional mail distribution center.... The prize contents are amazing! Thanks so much, but especially for the tea and paper products. Really, I need to come hang out with you and learn how to make some of these cards and gift tags. They are so beautiful. ❤️
    ...See More

OBF SWAP OCTOBER "YOUR CREATIVE COOKBOOK" #2

Q

Comments (233)
    My adorable and inspiring Great Pumpkin Cookbook from Ruth Arrived yesterday with the mail forwarded from AZ. It's a winner even if it took the scenic route and arrived after the contest ended.. I love Pumpkin in almost any fashion (NO Pumpkin Spice Lattes for me) and have a good supply of nice winter squash. Look forward to trying several of these recipes.Tammy also sent laminated cards with substitutions and measures. Very useful and handy thanks Tammy. Again sorry about all the confusion over addresses and deliveries but All's well that ends well. I am redoing and expanding your book a bit should get it done and mailed by the end of the week
    ...See More
  • garretds7
    9 years ago

Erica, that one kinda drove me crazy, lol! It was a tough one for sure. Now, I'm worried about what you've got up your sleeve for the next game, lol!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

AHH-HAA!!!!

Even a Hot Peppa can be carved into a pumpkin!!! Wee Haa!!! Take note of that everyone!

Thank you for mentioning that Cottonwood!

So Erica, Even itty bitty hot peppers can be carved into a Pumpkin. That means anyone can send those in too, huh?
    Yeah, me like the Hot pepper's, ROFL

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where do you see little peppers carved into lanterns? I think you just have peppers on the brain!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Didn't want to grab his picture up. I don't know if he'd like that? Lol. Pretty cool!

Link is at bottom of this message. Scroll down the thread a little and you'll see it...

Here is a link that might be useful: My Ghost Chilies Are Blooming!!!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Oh, and yeah. I do have Peppers on me Brain.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy s**t! You're right! Third posting on the thread. Well, there you all have it, hot peppers can indeed be carved into Halloween lanterns! Bring it on!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

And Folks meet my dear friend Charlie! I told 'em to take the corn out of his ears for the pic, but he said they were his hands?!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Okay, he finally listened. Sharpen up now Charlie...

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Feelin' a lil' exposed der Charlie?

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. Super cute!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

poor Lil' Charlie doesn't know he's about to get Eatn'...

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Anyone who has a side-trade with me in the Seed Purge --

If you have a side trade with me on the Seed Purge, and want to take care of it on this swap (these seeds will be back to you a month sooner than Seed Purge), please let me know by Mon., so that I hang onto your seed packs.

• boringbloomer
    9 years ago

Ghost chilies in full BOO!!!!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

boringbloomer -- I love it! Thanks for the post!

• boringbloomer
    9 years ago

BOO~~Have a Screamingly Hot Halloween~~

• smitties
    9 years ago

How cute is that "ghost" plant. Thanks for sharing.

Erica, my seeds are ready to fly. I just need to get them to the post office for weighing so I can send the proper amount of postage.

Margo

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy Monday Everyone!!! As promised, we have a new game today:

Halloween Hangman:
    Welcome to Halloween Hangman! As with traditional hangman, you will attempt to guess the word based on letters picked.

Here are the rules:
    1) Each person can guess one letter per day (use GW time stamps -- EST). Once the body is complete, there will be no more letter guesses allowed. The hangman has 7 body parts, so choose letters wisely. First come, first served on letter guesses.
    2) Each person can take one guess at the word per day. You do not have to guess the word at the same time you guess the letter. Words will all relate to Halloween. Sometimes it will be a garden/Halloween mash. Ex. Ghost + Ghost Pepper = Ghost Pepper.
    3) This game will run Mon - Fri. I will post at different times each day to give everyone an equally random shot. By Fri, the person with the most points wins. Your prize will be sent out in your seed pack.
    (Due to GW's weirdness I had to use a dash to represent a space).

Let the guessing begin!

_______
    I.............)
    I............@
    I.............I
    I.............
    I............
    I

H e a d l e s s - H o r s e m a n --- Congratulations Promise!

Inaccurate Letters Guessed: G, T

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 20:57

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Just a note about the Black Peanuts I'm sending. They are in the shell to protect the peanut from splitting in half. If they do, they won't grow. Plant them whole. I'm in zone 5, and they did fine for me, but I don't know how they would grow further north.

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I'll guess a G.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cool seeds, Mary!

There is no G.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't be shy! Guess a letter, if you haven't already.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Mailed my seeds to you today, Erica.
    Alana

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alana -- Great! I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. You should pick a letter!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Is there a "T" ??

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope. There isn't a 'T.'

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Are we spelling one word or seven? I haven't played hangman lately.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's two 8-letter words. The dash is a space.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I'll go get Promise.

• smitties
    9 years ago

I'll guess an S

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is an S (x3). Scroll up to see the updated words.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Erica, I see garlic mustard on your want list. Have you grown it? Does it transplant easily? It grows here in the spring, as in, one notices it in the spring in flower. Boneset grows here, I let it grow in my former yard. Haven't seen any to grab, since I saw that on your list. I recognize it in flower. Now lamb's quarters, we do have that in the yard. The seeds don't seem to be ready. Have you transplanted boneset or lamb's quarters? And plantain, we have that. I was taught by my grandmother to call it "lie tell". If you break the stem and any strings show, that is how many lies you have told.

Mary E.

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

Guys. My crazy smart phone won't let me post my storybook package picture. Sometimes I think my phone has more issues than me! I'll keep trying. Shirley, the package is amazing. Thank you.

For now I would like to guess the letter N

NonnaG

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- I haven't tried transplanting any of them, and I haven't grown garlic mustard before. I do have narrow-leaf plantain growing. I love the story about your grandma and the plantain.

You're lucky to have so many goodies growing around you. I'm sure I have more than I know here, but it's hard recognizing things you've never grown before. That being said, I did wildcraft some Jimsonweed today. I found it at the farm when hubby and I were doing U-Pick peppers.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is an 'N.'

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

The common name boneset comes from its use to reduce fevers, "fevers high enough to crack bone". I have been told.

Mary E.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- I hadn't heard that before. It is a very useful herb though. The link below is a great info resource for boneset.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boneset

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Can I have an "R" please?

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Happy Fall Y'all!

Sleepy Hollow is about to come on. Thanks for coming to get me Mary. ;) Headless Horseman!

You're awesome!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Promise is the winner for today! The answer is "Headless Horseman."

• garretds7
    9 years ago

But, but, but...

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. That's hilarious as a response.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Garret -- Too funny!! It just worked out I had Sleepy Hollow on the brain.

Erica -- The Boneset seems to be everywhere around here. Large quantities. Reading the info in the link you provided says South Florida and Texas. I grabbed some up because I liked the volume of flowers on the plant. I'm just now learning it's medicinal purposes.

Black Peanuts sound great. I'll have to learn more about that. Today I noticed Osage Orange, aka Hedge Apple on the side of the road. I had an Aunt who use to use these to keep spiders out of the house. Does this interesting fruit have any use?

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Promise -- Very cool that you both have boneset where you are. The link below is what you were asking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osage Orange

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

I have noticed a white, Aster type flower growing wild for 2 years near our garden fence. It is shrub-like with many little flowers with a pink center. I think it's very pretty and will gather seeds this fall. I hope that someday I can identify it.

I've also heard that hedge apples are good to keep spiders away. I don't know a good use for them, but the wood of this tree is very hard and has traditionally been used for fence posts for over 100 years.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- You should take a picture and post it on the Name That Plant forum. I've had very good luck getting things IDed there.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Halloween Hangman Day 2:

In case you missed it, here are the rules:
    1) Each person can guess one letter per day (use GW time stamps -- EST). Once the body is complete, there will be no more letter guesses allowed. The hangman has 7 body parts, so choose letters wisely. First come, first served on letter guesses.
    2) Each person can take one guess at the word per day. You do not have to guess the word at the same time you guess the letter. Words will all relate to Halloween. Sometimes it will be a garden/Halloween mash. Ex. Ghost + Ghost Pepper = Ghost Pepper.
    3) This game will run Mon - Fri. I will post at different times each day to give everyone an equally random shot. By Fri, the person with the most points wins. Your prize will be sent out in your seed pack.
    (Due to GW's weirdness I had to use a dash to represent a space).

Current Point Total:
    pmb2005 -- 1pt

_______
    I.............)
    I............
    I.............
    I.............
    I............
    I

_ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread is essentially full. I posted a new thread. Important info, including today's hangman, is posted over there, as well.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THREAD CLOSED. USE NEW THREAD.