SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bingster

Tomato Journal 2008 with PICS

bingster
15 years ago

Good morning all,

My update for 31 May. Plants have been in the containers now for 60 days. Had my first tomato hit the "breaker" stage yesterday but expect I'm still 10-14 days away from starting to harvest. It's been a funny spring this year. Usually April and May are just perfect for growing tomatoes...mild temps, warm sun, little wind, no rain. However, this April the weather couldn't make up it's mind. Beautiful days interspersed with cold, windy days. May has been much hotter than normal with temps in the high 80's vice high 70's.

As a result, have had a lot of problems with blossom drop and some malformed fruit (catfacing). I assume this is due to erratic weather during the blossoming/fruit setting stage. The catapillers arrived last week so working them over with Daconil and hand picking. Have had some BER again this year which is somewhat disappointing but not unusual, I guess.

Planted 17 different varieties from seed so I'm looking forward to how they produce and taste so I can pare them down next year to those that did best. Almost all my varieties are 73-80 days to harvest. Next year I should plant a few early varieties so I don't have to wait so long for my first ripe tomato.

Have tagged the tomato images so just move your cursor around in the photo and it will tell you the variety.

Have included a PIC of 1 of my 2 guard-dogs..."Little Man"!

cheers all

Bing

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022