SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Does growing your own vegetables save money?

The thread started by Raptor, asking for help as a beginning gardener, has me asking this question. How many gardeners are actually saving money growing their own vegetables? I find myself wondering if anyone has actually kept track of their expenditures and calculated how many vegetables they produce and what it would cost them to buy it. I have not.

Personally, I'm sure I'm not saving money. I don't have ideal conditions. I don't have a lot of land, and the one thing that is most difficult to overcome, lack of full sun, limits the amount of food I can grow. Gardening is an activity that I just happen to love to do, so saving money on produce has not been a factor.

But I like to think that there are people who can save money growing their own food. Well, I have read accounts of individuals with a lot of love of growing and motivation who have done that, but I don't think they are the 'average' gardener.

So, what are your experiences? Are you growing to 'save money'? And do you think you are accomplishing that?

Comments (64)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH