SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Center of new leaves/new growth turning yellow/white....

highlandernorth
12 years ago

Hi, just joined up tonight......

I planted my 3 tomatoes back in 5-2-11, then 5 more small plants on about 5-27-11.

They all grew fine at first, then 2 weeks ago, I suddenly noticed that on all plants but 1 had what appeared to be almost a straight yellow stripe going across all the top, newer growth leaves and new center shoots coming out on both the tops of the main stem, and tops of all lateral stems. Then at the very center of the yellowing, it turned white.

I used a soil mix containing about 30% peat moss, 30% aged manure(bagged), 20 used Miracle Grow garden soil from last year, and 20% native soil(clayish). The after about 3 weeks, I also added Miracle grow from a hose end sprayer. I've used Miracle grow from a hose end sprayer for years, but not on vegetable crops, just trees, flowers, shrubs, etc., with no problem before.

Also, about 2 - 2.5 weeks before the yellowing began, I sprayed with Roundup 41% Glyphosphate and a small amount of Diquat-Dibromide in the mix. I've also used Roundup and Spectracide for 22 years, with no previous problems, as I worked for a Lawn Doctor franchise for 7 years in the 80's and early 90's, then my own landscaping co.

I didnt get the Roundup under the tomatoes where the original planting holes were dug, so the new soil didnt get any roundup on it, neither did the leaves, or the affected leaves wouldve died, especially near the bottom of the plants, and not at the tops.

This yellowing, and some whiteness at the tops of the branches has completely stopped the plants from growing, and even the new flowers have white petals instead of yellow, and are falling off in some places on the plants.

I decided to prune the branches below the yellowing areas, but I am unsure whether tomatoes will now grow additional branches(2 or more) from the spot where pruned like most plants do(?)

I also will replace a few of the smaller plants which arent growing with new plants and new soil.

Also, it seemed to have temporarily affected a few of my cucumbers too with yellow leaves at the end of the vines, but most have grown out of it. Also a Dahlia growing in the garden had its top leaves turn yellow, and I topped it, but the new laterals are very slow to grow, and are slightly yellow as well.

I have lots of experience with growing flowers, shrubs, lawns and ornamentals, but not with gardens, so I'm baffled as to whats going on. So is the local cooperative extension, who I brought samples to. I also paid for a soil sample, but it wont be done for a week or so.

What could be happening here? Too much nitrogen or P or K?

Comments (8)