FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
kentuck_8b

Last Frost Till Next Year

kentuck_8b
14 years ago

Tonight's the last frost here until next year...that's my prediction. Words to live by...

Kt

Comments (120)

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Here is our Weather channel forecast:

Sat
    Apr 7
    Rain / Snow Showers 40%
    Hi 37° Lo 30°

Its stuff like that that keeps us gardeners up here sitting inside while ya'll are diving into garden projects further down state.

Of course, those prognosticators usually miss it, just a question of whether it will be better... or worse!

• remuda1
    14 years ago

Richard, we've got forecasted lows at 38 later this week and weekend too. I hope it doesn't get any lower than that. But I've got plant covers lined up just in case. Out here in the sticks, we can count on a couple of degrees cooler.

Kristi

• Related Discussions

Is this a good plan to create a BIG no-till plot by next spring?

Q

Comments (16)
    1000 SF is approx 20 x 50 feet, that is not so big that she couldn't use a "lasagne scheme" as Adirondackgardener calls it! I am using lasagne techniques all over the back yard. I find it is simply the easiest (albeit slowest) way to create new beds without tilling, weeding, etc. especially when you are starting with overgrown areas that are infested with invasive plants and weeds. Not to mention the seed bank that has accumulated! I start with a weedy overgrown mess and lots of Vinca minor, then I dig up and cut the small trees and shrubbery, and then smother with a couple layers cardboard or other paper. Then pile on coffee grounds, compost, leaves, straw, garden refuse, etc. I do not buy ANY of this, it is all collected from local sources. Sometimes I mow the weeds and Vinca down real low first, sometimes not. In the way back, where it's totally gone wild, I want to make some gardens of native wildflowers and grasses. That is VERY weedy - with some terrible intractible invasives like Buckthorn and Oriental Bittersweet. I am using bags of grass clippings picked up at the town compost center. I open up the bags and lay them down flat, then spread about 2 inches of grass clippings on top. The grass clippings are so dense they kind of congeal and make an impenetrable layer. This is an experiment so I don't know how well this will kill the weeds yet!d Well see. Optimally, I wait about 1 year before planting in lasagne, but they can be dug up a little and planted before that. Things are growing so well in the lasagne beds, it has exceeded my expectations.
    ...See More

Buy more seedlngs or wait till next year?

Q

Comments (3)
    I think you'll be hard pressed to NOT get fruit if you were to put more seedlings into the ground. Most plants that you'll find in the stores/nurseries should be quite developed, and have no problem being transplanted. (They'll most likely be rootbound in the 3- 4- or 6-cell packs, but will do well.) We've planted peppers and tomatoes as late as mid July, and had buckets full of produce, even here in Michigan. You should be fine.
    ...See More

Frost...pick or wait till Freeze?

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm in southeast Michigan, and wondering the same thing. Right now I'm thinking this will just be a close call, but won't kill my plants. But I'm keeping an eye on the forecasts at NOAA.gov. I may spray the leaves with water, like taz said, if it starts looking like frost. I'm also wondering if a fan would help during the coldest part of the morning, since frost usually happens when it's not windy. I have too many to cover them all.
    ...See More

Some Last Year and This Year Photos

Q

Comments (13)
    What a difference a year makes! Can't wait to see them next year. They all look great!
    ...See More
  • melvalena
    14 years ago

I knew this would happen!!!
    First time visitors from out of state in spring... does it every time!

At least its not supposed to be freezing here in DFW but 39* is pretty darn close and its going to feel like freezing.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

It has much to do with Easter, kt - see how many cool snaps we have afterwards !!!!

• roseyt
    14 years ago

Well, I'm getting a little nervous with the forecast they're showing right now. Saturday night low 35. EEEKK!

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Worse, the guys over at the Accu-weather website are currently saying we'll be 26 Saturday here in Amarillo. Ugh, that'll do in some stuff.

Oh well, one thing is for sure, worry about it won't help any.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Kt said she would bet on her area only, she does't know about Fort Worth.

I knew this would happen!!!
    First time visitors from out of state in spring... does it every time!

Melvalena, I'd blame it them too, lol

Carrie any signs on your banana yet. I think mine is gone

• remuda1
    14 years ago

Sigh...I just went and bought a roll of floating row cover....

Kristi

• carrie751
    14 years ago

No sign of the one I left inground, Jolana - I think mine is a goner as well. I did put a couple in the plant room, and they have gotten quite large- don't have them inground as yet, and think it is just as well I don't.

• Bev__
    14 years ago

I haven't put out all my seedlings yet. Most are still in their cups on the patio. I've had too many plants freeze when I put them out before Easter. Glad I waited again this year. I've been very tempted to plant them these last few days.

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Why you shouldn't complain about a weather forecast... it'll get worse:

Sat
    Apr 7
    Snow
    35°/28° 60%

• remuda1
    14 years ago

LOL Richard :). Bless your heart! Pull those thermal underwear back out!

Kristi

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Ha, yeah, no joke Kristi. Hot toddies instead of cold Coronas kind of weather up here this weekend. (Of course, I don't actually know how to make a hot toddy, guess I'll have all weekend inside to learn.)

• carrie751
    14 years ago

You could try hot buttered rum, RC !!! Stay warm !!! Ugggg - MN - what are you thinking?????

• rick_mcdaniel
    14 years ago

Frost potential in DFW will be there for this Friday and Saturday night. You can always count on a cold spell, just as you think things are warming up, due to the crazy fluctuations in DFW. 80 degs. one day, 50 degs. the next.

Glad many plants are resilient.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I was thinking I'd load the truck for the swap on Friday...
    then I thought no.. better not...

Now I think I'll go ahead and load, but I'll unpack those blankets I packed up on Monday, and cover them.

here's me trying to decide what to do:

• carla morey
    14 years ago

Ha! Melva, that is TOO funny! I feel like that, too. I want to spend tomorrow putting down St Augustine plugs. Or should I wait until Sunday ... but it might be raining on Sunday. Ugh! And now I'm afraid to plant anything, but it's a 3-day weekend that I've been looking forward to for weeks, and I *want* to plant things, doggoneit! This Texas weather is giving me (more) grey hair!!!

Carla

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Man, a couple of days ago I was worried about getting TO freezing Saturday, now they say we may not even get ABOVE freezing all day Saturday. What a deal:

Sat
    Apr 7
    Snow to Wintry Mix
    31°/25° 70%

• melvalena
    14 years ago

ut oh.... forecast for my area
    Friday night: 36*
    Saturday night: 37*

I KNEW I shouldn't have planted those impatience in the ground!
    Thank goodness I had the good sense to save back 2 flats of 'em just in case!
    Tomorrow I'll be loading up the swap plants and tucking them in with blankets.
    Then I'll water everything and bring the tender potted stuff back into the garage.

• fliptx
    14 years ago

What in the heck?! I look at the forecast and see we're having highs in the mid 50s down here this weekend? Did someone move Houston closer to the North Pole while I wasn't looking?

I'm not complaining, though... There's a bunch of work I can do if the rain isn't too bad, and it'll be nice not to have to worry about the fire ants and drowning in sweat while I do it!

• kentuck_8b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No worries! I rarely look at forecasts, but since many of you are in colder zones than I am, I looked and the coldest forecast for here says low of 40F. The others all say mid to upper 40's for lows.

None are near enough for a frost down here. We will survive another threat from Old Man Winter.

RC, the Panhandle is at least a 10 hour drive from here, so I guess you might have some much different weather.

All plants here are in the ground and flourishing. The extra few weeks of growing season and the extra rain this Spring will really make things large and beautiful when Summer comes.

South Texas, you've gotta love it!

Kt

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

KT,

You are right. South Texas is the place to be this time of year.

And, I'll probably have some snow pics in a day or two to prove it. ;)

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Man, I just planted 4 flats of flowers in the ground and my kids are coming from Louisiana this weekend and wanting to go fishing. I don't think thats gonna happen now.

• lindseyrose
    14 years ago

Did anyone notice how CRAZY hot it was on Tuesday? I didn't check the temps on that until just now, but when I stepped outside at 3pm to pick up my child, it was sweltering. Now I look and see that it was over 90 degrees. I OFTEN notice that when there is a heat surge, something big is coming soon. I just hope we don't go down into the 30's. I have a tiny hibiscus that is barely showing dots of green, as well as pentas cuttings that are returning nicely, and I would hate to see those little ones be damaged. :(

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Lindeyrose, you're just going to have to cover them or bring them in if you can if it is in fact going to get that cold.
    We are only suppposed to be in the 40's

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Amarillo current conditions at 3pm:

Light Freezing Drizzle
    32°F
    Feels Like
    22°F

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Oh you poor thing!

I'm going to heat some water for tea and think about how much worse it could be. Then I'm going to bump the heater on and crawl into bed for a nap. :)

• fliptx
    14 years ago

They keep lowering the forecasted temps here! First they said lows in the 40s. Then upper 30s. Now it's mid 30s, with highs in the 40s. I guess I'll dig up the Reemay just in case.

• pjtexgirl
    14 years ago

Wasn't it chilly for last Easter too? Jeez... I want a warm Easter darn it! Who do I write my letter of complaint to anyway????PJ

• remuda1
    14 years ago

Last Easter was about 90 degrees. The one before that was snowing.....

Kristi

• justintx
    14 years ago

kt, you there? kt? kt? ; - )

• roseyt
    14 years ago

It's now snowing in Lufkin. Unbelievable!

• lindseyrose
    14 years ago

I covered the pentas and hibiscus, both babies (actually the pentas are clones grown from cuttings, but they are little and fairly cold-sensitive). We'll see what happens. The vinca (which I was dumb enough to plant early) and coleus and the other little things out there will just have to tough this out.

For now we are just getting rain, and it's roughly 37 degrees.

• kentuck_8b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still looks OK for me in my area. For you North Texans, it must feel more like Thanksgiving or Christmas!

It is 42F here so it will be fine here, especially if it keeps raining. If it would clear off, then it might frost, but it doesn't look that way. Either way, it's too late, all plants are in the ground and pecan trees are growing leaves.

Carrie751, looks like you will be right for your area, and you just made that prediction by the skin of your teeth! Easter,...less than a day away...

Good Luck everyone, and I hope no one loses any plants. I still feel very comfortable here, looking for the lowest possible temp to get maybe to 36F, but even that's pushing it for this area.

Kt

• west_texas_peg
    14 years ago

Here in Central Texas we have 3 to 4" of snow on the ground, looks like a Winter Wonderland!

My fruit trees had a bumper crop of tiny peaches and nectarines, wondering just how much was killed by this snow.

DH covered the Belinda's Dream rose with a plastic trashcan and my large pots that we had moved off of the enclosed porch...needed the room for seedlings and swaps coming in the mail.

My iris are blooming, the light lavender iris looks amazing with snow on it.

We are wetter right now than we have been in a very long time! I hope it continues but expect it will suddenly stop and the 90's and 100's will hit and everything will die.

Peggy

• cashm01
    14 years ago

Here in West Texas it has been 27 degrees and is forecast to continue tonight with sleet and snow. I have a huge climbing rose on my back fence that is smothered in buds ready to bloom. This was a gift from my daughters 6 years ago and I really want to see those blooms this year! With my husband's help yesterday, we covered it with a tarp and tied it down. Then today, he decided to hook up a little heater underneath to protect it further! Yes, we are a little crazy (and maybe dumb, too)! But it is 41 degrees
    under it now with outdoor temp of 27! But it makes me laugh to see this HUGE tarp covering our back fence. He will babysit it tonight by checking on it periodically. We have other plants covered too. Maybe all of this work will be worth it in a few days.

• kentuck_8b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peggy, here, we had as much rain in January, as we did ALL last year. February...no rain. March, several inches. We now have over half of our normal YEARLY rainfall. Go figure...

41F outside now, looks like we will be spared the frost, and yes, it's still raining, but I'm not complaining.

Kt

• lindseyrose
    14 years ago

Y'all have mentioned covering roses...but I thought they were hardy to like zone 5 or 6...I know Belinda's Dream wasn't a fence-sitter for zone 7 or 8 but I don't remember how low it actually can tolerate.

Mine has buds and a couple blooms and I didn't do anything for it. I hope that's okay! (I'm outside Houston, it's just nasty cold and wet here, but we *probably* won't freeze).

Just thought I'd ask about the rose protection b/c I thought they were more cold hardy than this kind of whether. But, I'm all new to this stuff.

PS--just did a quick Google and one website says Belinda's Dream is hardy for zones 4-9 (the Uncommon Rose) and another says zone 7 (plantanswers.com Texas Cooperative Extension).

• beachplant
    14 years ago

What happened? It's supposed to be warm! We should be in shorts, getting sunburned.. Think this will kill the skeeters?
    Tally HO!

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

lindseyrose, roses are hardy to nearly zero but, the people who are covering them, aren't covering to protect the plant, but to protect the buds. If buds have started opening at all, a freeze will get them. Then they would have to wait till the plant regrows more buds before they would have flowers. You've heard the old saying "nip it in the bud", that's where it comes from.
    Jim

• lindseyrose
    14 years ago

Ah ha. Well, I guess we will see what happens with mine (has 10 buds on the little thing right now)! It's only maybe 15 feet from me but I am not going out there now!! Tooooo cold and wet!

Happy Easter, everyone!

• kentuck_8b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's cool outside, but the sun is shining. Temps got down to 39F, much colder than I expected, but I lost NO plants, WHEW!!

I almost went outside and covered plants, but decided not to. Papaya looks great and it's the most cold sensitive with it's new growth. Satsuma has new growth and countless blooms and they all survived.

You Northerners must have had it BAD. Snow, sleet, ice?? I hope you all protected.

I stick with my predictions and we made it,...so far, unless another cold spell is coming.

Kt

• justintx
    14 years ago

Kt,
    I thought I detected a bead of sweat on your brow. ; - )
    J.D.

• pjtexgirl
    14 years ago

My tomato is still OK. It's my "test" plant. I covered some stuff,brought some plants in and hoped for the best with others. We'll see.PJ

• terryisthinking
    14 years ago

Is it over?

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I think so txgardenlady!

• kentuck_8b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Justin, maybe a little, but not for my plants. If we had a frost, I never would have heard the end of it from y'all.

I believed in my prediction, but thought we might get down to the low 40's at most, not the upper 30's, but my prediction held true, once again.

Kt, Prediction Master

• prairiepaintbrush
    14 years ago

No whooper for me! No sparrows either.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Just remember to watch for the Easter "cool snap", KT, and you will be safe with your predictions. LOL

• kentuck_8b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes,(LOL) Carrie751, you predicted more accurately and much farther ahead of time, than any weatherman or woman that I have ever seen on TV.

You ARE the GIRL!!

Carrie, The Easter prediction Queen!

Kt

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars111 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource