SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuckiebtoo

Aerated vermicompost tea: fanciful or fact??

chuckiebtoo
18 years ago

This message is directed to the forum in general and Kelly in particular:

The foundations of my belief in the viability of AERATED worm or compost tea are teetering and I'm afraid, without some support, my whole vermi philosophy is about to come crashing down.

My convictions re ACT come from various published (non-advertising related) info from the web which proclaim CT "increases plant growth", "provides beneficial nutrients to plants and soil", "provides beneficial organisms", "helps to suppress diseases", and "replaces toxic chemicals". I realize that all of these claims are general and none really address the foliar aspect of ACT.

Among other articles, Kitchen Gardener published an article, reproduced by The Taunton Press, BREWING COMPOST TEA by Elaine Ingham, that extolled the virtues of ACT. Exhaltations included: ACT "makes the benefits of compost go farther", "when sprayed on the leaves", ACT "helps suppress foliar diseases", "increases the amount of nutrients available to the plant", and "speeds the breakdown of toxins". It's "even been shown to increase the nutritional quality and improve the flavor of vegetables".

In the same article: The science behind compost tea, includes the facts that "the soil is full of microorganisms that aid plant growth and plant health--bacteria and fungi, which are decomposers, and protozoa and beneficial nematodes, which are predators. But there are bad guys, too--disease-causing bacteria and fungi, protozoa, and root-feeding nematodes". WHEW.

"THE BAD BACTERIAL DECOMPOSERS AND THE PLANT-TOXIC PRODUCTS THEY MAKE ARE ENHANCED BY ANAEROBIC, OR REDUCED-OXYGEN, CONDITIONS. By making sure the tea and the compost itself are WELL OXYGENATED AND HIGHLY AEROBIC, you eliminate 75 percent of the potential plant disease-causing bacteria and plant-toxic products. To take care of the other 25 percent of potential diseases and pests, you want to get good guys into the soil AND ON AT LEAST 60 TO 70 PERCENT OF YOUR PLANTS' LEAVES. Good bacteria work against the detrimental ones in four ways: They consume the bad guys, they may produce antibiotics that inhibit them, they compete for nutrients, and they compete for space." WHEW, TOO.

When I absorbed all this, I yelled YIPPEE!!! I've found the holy grail! This is the missing part of the puzzle!

And I began to formulate THE PLAN, which I've stayed with up until now, until inferences began being made that "ACT is benign, aeration is unnecessary", etc, ad nauseum.

Pardon the brevity of my post-I could have cited many more testimonials for ACT-but the questions that have arisen by recent posts seem to dispel all the above "facts". Posters seem to be distancing themselves from positive statements about ACT. Kelly, you, in particular, continue to proclaim "do what works for you, what you feel comfortable with", "I steep tea without using aeration", etc.

If Ms. Ingham's studies have been rebuked, for what reasons, and by whom? Kelly, your ambivalence toward ACT, if I interpret your posts correctly, could use a little amplification.

I just want to know if I am spraying my ACT against the wind.

Thank you for your diligent and attentive effort to get all the way to this point in this ridiculously long post.

Chuckiebtoo

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County