SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisard_gw

vine for a tricky mix of urban shade and sun

lisard
17 years ago

My neighbors just put in a long wooden fence that is incredibly ugly, 10-12 feet tall, and the length of our backyard. The fence is actually an 8 foot fence on mounted on 2-3.5 feet of concrete, depending on where on the hill you are. The wood attached to the concrete with really ugly metal poles. The concrete is ugly but can be masked with perennials. It's the metal poles that are from 2' to 5.5 feet up that kill me.

It's along the east side of our small city plot. There is a large tree with wide roots along the fence so I am "blessed" with a range of near-shade by the tree to part-sun away from it AND serious root congestion near the tree AND --in the shady areas-- more light at the ground level than a few feet up. The soil is well-drained.

Anyway, I had hoped to find a vine, or set of vines, that will grow relatively quickly and provide year round green at least where the poles are, if not lower or higher. I don't mind putting up a trellis or lines, amending the soil, or pruning. Planting multiple species to have flowers along with evergreen is definitely an option. I really want something that will be hardy for the spot though.

I've been reading a lot here and on the clematis forum but every time I think I've found a plant or set of plants, it fails on height, light requirements, soil or being evergreen.

Any suggestions from the experts is really appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting