SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littychic

Beneficial Nematodes: How Best to Apply in Basic Worm Bin?

littychic
13 years ago

Hi all,

I ordered beneficial nematodes (brand: Scanmask) to add to my rubbermaid tote worm bin. The nematodes are packed in a vermiculite (stone-like) material, and one has the option of either:

1) wetting the vermiculite then spreading it over the area you want to treat, or...

2) creating a nematode suspension with 2 gallons of water in which you soak (then remove) the vermiculite.

The instructions suggest that the suspension is generally less effective than the solid application. I'm wondering if anyone here has used beneficial nematodes in a rubbermaid worm bin, and if so, which application method you chose. I think that the solid application makes more sense, as long as the vermiculite solids don't pose any obvious problems within the bin.

Advice?

As a side note, apparently "one pint of beneficial nematodes contains 7 million active units and treats 200-400 sq. ft., 800 feet of row." So, there are at least several applications worth in one package. I will have to decide exactly how much to add to the bin so as not to overrun the thing with nematodes, I guess.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County