SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlinek

When to expect hornworms & can I plant BW in a week?

arlinek
17 years ago

Hello all: (Newbie ahead!) We're in S. Diego and planted outside our tomatoes on 4/15 - all 12 Better Boys (which WE loved eating from our 2 plants last year)and six cherry tomatoes. They are doing very nicely, lots of flowers and many tiny toms growing. Having suffered with at least 30 hornworms last year on just two plants, when can I expect to start seeing them this year? In other words, at what stage do they normally start to appear? We made the unfortunate mistake of planting 8 of them only 18" apart so, of course, they are all intermeshed now. Is there an "easy" way to find them when it's like a 5' tall jungle? I just used a two-pronged BBQ fork to scoop them up and dump them in a water-filled bucket last year.

Other question: I'm being sent a few Brandwine seeds from a very kind gardener here and should receive them very soon. Will it be too late to plant them? Our summers are mostly mild (we're coastal), peaking at mainly 80 degrees with occasional 85s at most. Should I start them in cups first and then transplant in the ground when 6" or so inches tall? Do I soak them first and if so, how long? Thank you so much.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living