SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_in_alabama

Would coral honeysuckle be good here?

{{gwi:26322}}

I was asking what to plant here over in the Landscape Design forum, but after reading the "Alabama and Mississippee Gardener's Guide" almost cover to cover, trying to find something for this narrow, hot, and sunny side of our house, it occurred to me that coral honeysuckle might work.

My main goal is to try to cool down this side of the house; our bedroom is on this side and gets hotter/stuffier than the rest of the house. Hate to turn up the a/c just because one room is hotter. Would coral honeysuckle provide a dense enough vine to do this?

My secondary goal is to attract birds/butterflies. Third is something perennial so I don't have to replant every year. Evergreen would be great too, but it's the summer that's the big issue.

If coral honeysuckle is a good plant for this spot, then does anyone have any suggestions on how I, a middle-aged woman who can't take sun and heat very well, would construct a trellis to cover the 60 feet of wall?

Last year I had hyacinth bean covering this wall, using metal stakes in the ground and small eye hooks up in the soffitt with fishing line woven up and down. I'm assuming coral honeysuckle would need something stronger?

I'll probably wait till Fall to start this project but I'm trying to find the right plant and then make a plan.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (2)