SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

I am a bit put out, re; San Antonio swap

natvtxn
17 years ago

I asked for a roll call for the San Antonio Swap for a reason. It looks like only about 6 or 7 people are coming to the swap.

We need to know, because if there are 40 or more, I have to hire a security guard.

I don't want to come off as a whiner. But it is a lot of work for me, after having reconstructive back surgery less than a year ago. I have to find someone to lift a heavy table into my truck and then hope someone will be there to take it out.

Comments (30)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

I'm tentatively planning on being there IF I get done with the trade show connected with my business on Friday. I am wanting to attend mostly to meet all y'all. I told a couple of people about it and they said they were coming. That's about all the info I can offer right now.

What time are you planning to arrive? I'll bet there will be people there to help you unload the table. If I make it I will be bringing a dolly my hubby made for me that we can put one end of the table on and also use to haul plants from folk's cars... My attendance is still contingent on circumstances though ... sigh ...

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We can begin setting up as early as 9:00 a.m. I plan to be there around 10:30 ish.

• Related Discussions

have: san antonio plant swap 10/18/14 rogier's park 9:00 am ...

Q

Comments (148)
    Yes, that must have been it, Omar. It was pixies playing tricks on us or else it was me who was somewhat "pixilated' after all the talking and trading ... LOL I have a question: someone brought a jar for the door prize table containing something brown that looked like preserves of some kind, but it had a picture of a cleaning woman on it. I asked the contributor and she told me that if was for cleaning your hands after gardening and contained brown sugar. I'm fascinated, but can't remember what else the cleaning compound contained. Anybody remember who brought it and what else it contained besides brown sugar? The dates for both SAPS next year will be announced by Lorelei soon ... :-)
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap and Garden Visit Oct. 2012 ...

Q

Comments (7)
    We had a great time. And no, I didn`t stop at a single nursery on the way home. Jim filled the car up with rocks! Thanks again for having us. See you in the spring. I owe Patty some ginger and Rebecca thalia and purple stem taro. I`ve been planting and repotting all day today. I`ll get pics posted later. Barb brought me "two" giant crinums, I think there are 30++ in those two pots! Tally HO!
    ...See More

New post for San Antonio plant swap

Q

Comments (94)
    If any one wants autumn clematis, let me know. I don't want to dig some up if no one wants it. You need to know it is aggressive. Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Clematis
    ...See More

Fall swap in San Antonio

Q

Comments (59)
    Hi Gayle! I look forward to seeing you there. As a newbie, I'm guessing you can sure bring those bougainvillea's. I'm trying not to be selfish, so if some else has their heart set on them, no problem. If not, I would give them a new home! It's been a while since I have had one, but they are very nice. I might have something there that you would like. Several of what I have are very hard to kill! Tonya
    ...See More
  • carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Kathy, the plant swap will grow each year and there will usually be people that never post on Gw that will come. Most of the ones that come don't post on GW but come anyway.

Our Garden Gate Club swap started out with about 7 or 8 and now we have at least 40 people.

Don't give up, you'll do fine.

Hugs, Carol

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

Here is the map again and a reminder that the swap will be in Pavilion 3.

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to park

• snappybob
    17 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see the roll call but I haven't logged in since last Wednesday as I have been busy with the Gem And Mineral Show down at Freeman Coliseum. I plan to be there. I'll try to be there in time to help with the table.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, Thanks!
    I will bump the roll call up. I got up on the wrong side and end of the the bed this morning. I should not have posted that whinny message.

• mike_stubbs
    17 years ago

Don't sweat the small stuff, Kathy, and it is all small stuff.
    If we have 4 or 44 it will be great. It won't take long to swap if we have just 4 but we will do a lot of talking.
    I will try to be there in time to help you unload the table. Don't do it yourself and hurt yourself. Let us big strong heman types do all of that. Okay, if we get enough of any type, we can do it, even if I help.
    Mike

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Kathy, it WILL be successful no matter what. I am so proud of you for chairing it, it is such a great opportunity for gardeners to get together, share plants and stories of plants. You guys have a great time - I will be thinking of you.

• tshcd
    17 years ago

I'm still planning on it, and I will probably drag my husband along...but I won't have a table or stuff.

Still looking forward to meeting you!

Tiffany

• harrellpn
    17 years ago

Hi I plan on attending, I am a newbie at a plant swap, what should I bring with me,can anyone offer any ideas. I would love to learn how to propagate plants correctly!!!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am going to link you to the former post that lists ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: March 31 San Antonio Plant Swap

• castrogardener
    17 years ago

Kathy, I'm sorry, I didn't see the roll call either, but I'll be there. Weather looks like it will cooperate with us. I'll have to ditto what Carol said, many folks hear about the swap from others and don't participate on GardenWeb. Others will say they'll come, then don't. Unfortunately, we never have had a for-sure count for any of our swaps. It's just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

I also will be there early, so we'll be okay. I usually have a heavy table or two, as well, and I'm always dependent on some other strong person to help unload it.

Did the Park people say we needed a security guard for 40 people ? What if we don't ? I think the chances are small that we won't have that many people. Even after we had been established awhile, we didn't have that many people show up at our swaps. It was close, but I don't think we ever got to that number. Don't worry. I know, I know.... you will anyway. :-)

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday, Kathy.

patty

• nbkimberley
    17 years ago

My name is Kimberley Riggs from NB and I will be there also. Newbee that is me. But I will dredge up something to swap.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The person who got the permit mentioned the security. I just now got the permit out to fully read it again. She wrote on there that she had talked to the chief and "we will be fine."
    I guess it helps to read things again after a couple
    months.

• linda_tx8
    17 years ago

I'm coming (probably with DH) from west of town and a friend, Sheila, is coming from Selma. One thing I don't remember is if anyone asked how close can we get with a car or truck just to unload? Guess I'll bring a table for my plants, also. It'll be great, you'll see! Gardeners are good folks!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You will need a table and a wagon/cart to transport your plants to the pavillion. It is about 3 car lengths from the parking. When you get into the park you will need to turn immediately right. Look left and you will see pavillion #3 on the other side of the play ground.
    I'll try to remember to get some balloons.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Also bring a pad and pen, so you can write down the name of plants, and planting instructions. I wish I would have done this, for all my unnamed plants. I can't wait to meet everyone. 5 more days, until the swap. Just think, this may be the only chance you get to meet some of the folks whos' threads you read. I wish Linda Collins could come down, her knowledge is so vast, she knows what herbs grow best in Texas, and she loves to share her knowledge.

• linda_tx8
    17 years ago

Those who can't bring a portable table should have the pavilion tables or can use part of someone else's table (someone who's not using the whole table). And as far as carts, if you can't bring a cart and need help getting plants moved, come over and ask whoever has a cart if they can borrow it in order to get their plants. There's no problem that can't be handled among us gardeners...I've been to enough swaps to know that. So don't sweat the small stuff, as someone said.

• denisew
    17 years ago

I have a question . . . now I'm not in that part of Texas and obviously can't make this plant exchange, but in regards to plant swaps in general . . . if someone wants to comes to a plant swap empty handed, just because they're in a new house and need some free plants, how do you handle this? Do you suggest they purchase a few inexpensive seed packets to exchange or maybe bring a flat of annuals? My garden club plant swap is in a couple weeks and I had someone ask this question. I know that at all our previous swaps, people at least brought rooted cuttings or seed packets. Thanks.

Oh, and I really do hope your plant swap goes well. It is okay to whine a little bit. ;-) It gets our attention.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I personally would be willing to give a person plants. For two reasons.
    1.to help them get started

2. because I don't want to drag them back home.

I am hoping to have new plants to drag home.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Denise, I have never denied anyone a plant just because they did not have anything to swap. And as Kathy said, most people want to take their NEW plants home with them, not the OLD ones.

• phoenix7801
    17 years ago

Ill be there with what I have to swap!!

• teri_mico
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy,

Just thought I would send a shout out too! I have to work that day, but will leave at about noon and be there about 12:30. I know I have invited more than a dozen people myself, but who knows who will attend.

I moved everything up close to the house and my guess is I have at least 40 plants to bring. (that is why I would sure love to have some more pots from someone). I am also working on printing out pictures of all of the plants. It will make it easier for people to see how that little plant will take over your garden in some cases :).

I don't want to bring ONE of those plants back with me. So people who don't have much to share or anything, please attend. I am also willing to dig up more from the garden if I am so luck as to run out of some of the stuff that I am bringing.

Kathy, thanks so much for putting this together for us!

Teri

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I finally figured out why I was in such a mood yesterday. I dreamed about my husband that night.
    He was a city boy and NOT a plant person. But he would have dug a hole in concrete, had I asked him to do so.
    He told me that before he knew me he never notice wild flowers. Later he would come home from a job and tell me about what flowers he saw. Once he brought home two 5 gal. buckets of crab apples for me to make jam for him.
    Another time he had a job in College Station and told me about some beautiful trees with pink flowers and would I go buy one for our house. When he went the next time he brought me a branch. I finally figured out he meant redbud trees.

• denisew
    17 years ago

The two people who inquired about coming to our plant and seed swap - I told them to not worry about bringing anything - that we should have plenty to go around. I have never had this come up before, so just wanted to ask. I appreciate your responses.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Come on!

• michellesg
    17 years ago

Kathy did you plant a redbud for him? My hubby fell in love with them too (mr.urban man himself) so I had him dig a hole for me last week and planted one for him. Yeah, I know, trees should be planted in the fall. It'll just have to suck it up and deal.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I bought it and he planted it. The only time I dug holes was if he was not home.

• mike_stubbs
    17 years ago

I am a bit put ouit now, too. But for a much different reason. After all this time of wishing, hoping, wanting and preparing, I can't go. We are down to one vehicle and have many people to run around to work and school stuff Friday and Saturday.
    I am so sorry. I was looking forward to meeting so many of you for the first time and renewing aquaintainships with others.
    Kathy, I was interested in talking about the old days with you and SAn Benito and the Valley.
    I will have to try and make the swap in Buda now and hope the other car is fixed by then.
    Have loads of fun.
    Mike

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OH NO!
    I am disappointed, I was so looking forward to finally meeting you.