SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bedford8a

Feeling a little down about gardening this season

bedford8a
10 years ago

Maybe you all can cheer me up. I just have to vent! I love to garden for hummingbirds, butterflies and pollinators, but feel a little down this spring just when I should be anticipating the upcoming gardening season - it looks like it's going to be another very dry year here in North Texas and I'm wondering if I'll have any winged visitors to my gardens. On top of the dry weather, I doubt much wildlife will be left in my neighborhood since there is so much construction going on! I know North Texas's economy is booming, but whole fields are being plowed under to make strip malls and housing developments near me, and beautiful stands of trees have all been chopped down for the same reason. Between the imminent drought and the disappearance of their natural habitat, I really wonder if any creatures will be left to enjoy the garden I so carefully prepared for them. Watching the butterflies and bees gave me so much pleasure since I moved here five years ago and planted this garden, and I just feel so sad realizing it probably won't be the same again. Sigh. It just seems humans won't be happy until every square inch of the Earth is paved over so they can make a quick buck.

Comments (6)