SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winnie850

update - mnf - 'a' is for august

winnie850
13 years ago

Our August swap is underway right now. All partners have been selected and notified. Now we are just waiting to make sure everyone contacts their partner so that the swaps can begin. Our boxes should be sent out by August 24.

If you are interested in participating in another MNF swap, Dan will be hosting the September swap. So, if you were thinking about joining us in August but were unable to, hang in there for the September swap.

Thanks!

Gladys

Comments (59)

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

Dan, I emailed you yesterday. If you didn't get it, I will email again tomorrow from work. Sorry about that, but usually email's that don't go through at work come back right away so we know their is something wrong with the address.

Ellie

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Ellie, I did indeed receive your e-mail, thank you! You put a lot of information in it too...kewl! I'll be getting some boxes from work today to send out some swaps on Monday, so I'll be doing some digging on Sunday after the rains have passed us by and watered the plants for me. Don't you just love when Ma Nature lends a hand? Even my coneflowers were beginning to look wilted, but not anymore! Everything is perking right up!

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: update: mnf garden fae and friends

Q

Comments (54)
    i did, huby just picked up this morning!! awww guys!! lets see if i can do this any justice!!???!!! she sent us some Paladde In's ? it had turned to mush, but the bulb is VERY healthy!! **big smile** so it will be replanted green spice heuchera awesome i've never had one not grown in my own yard!! LOL country romance hollyhock way awesome !! i love hollyhocks midnight reiter heuchera cool looking little guy!! chocolate chip ajuga looks awesome!! mmmmm chocolate!! LOL and she sent hazelnut body showergel, smells good, i HAD to open it as i'm a fragrance person!! LOL for talla she sent a bag full of seeds **flower fairies friends** sugar daddy lip balm actually a lip balm!! LOL Zinnia scarlet queen ** sunflower chianti hybrid artichoke emerald tomatoe beefsteak four o'clocks kaleidoscope onions evergreen bunching poppy oriental brilliant red ** cornflower blue boy ** candytuft sempervirens white ** sweet pea little sweetheart mix ** nasturtium tall mix ** kinda fits talla LOL zinnia profusion orange forget-me-not blue bird ** canterbury bells cup and saucer mix ** sweet italian basil a hand made door for talla's fairy's, and a little fairy statue. i just love it all!! how cool is that?? the plan is that?? talla was so excited to see her name on the box and was so excited to see all the stuff. thank you so much!!! you made a little fairy very happy!!! although now, she know's that she's on her way to being a fairy, the fairy watcher's are making sure she's being good and reporting back to the main fairy person, ummm i haven't said or know who that one is yet!!! this mommy don't know ALLLLLLL yet!!! LOL thank you, thank you, thank you thank you!!! :')) the kiddo's are doing great em! and my ws babes are just a growing like crazy!! i'm having to transplant them so much!! i swear my work is never done!! LOL but that's cuz i kept choosing the wrong size, once i finally got the right size, boom!! i was well on my way to being done with it all, now we just have to plant half of it ans sell the rest!! LOL Hugs medo :')) a very happy mommy!! who is sending off 3 boxes tomarrow. WHEW!!! LOL
    ...See More

update: mnf june bugs #3

Q

Comments (72)
    Hi everyone, I am in Columbus, Ohio dogsitting and housesitting for my son and new daughter in law. They are in Belize on their honeymoon. Fortunately, my box arrived on Wednesday before I left and I was able to pop all the plants in the ground before I left. My hubby is making sure they get watered although severe storms have been hitting there and here for the last two days. Carol included a list of the items she put in here fantastic box and I thought I threw it in my purse on the way outside the door. I now can't find it. I will wait to post everything til I can make sure I don't forget something. Thank you Carol for the great box and I am sorry I have not informed you it had arrived. The kids left here in such a hurry, I have been busy cleaning and of course, shopping. We don't have much access to many shopping places in Bowling Green where I live. Can't pass up a good sale. :) I will be stopping at a greenhouse on my way home tomorrow. I noticed coming here that plants are 1/2 off. I am sure the two teenagers in the car won't be happy but they know they have no choice. Will post the list of goodies when I get home.
    ...See More

Interest In An August/September MNF trade?

Q

Comments (6)
    Here are my thoughts on an exchange. We'd limit the box-size to the medium-sized flat rate box from the post office, packed with perennials from our gardens. Then, we'd choose to exchange with 1, 2, or 3 partners. We've been doing something similar over in the Seeds-n-Stitches swaps this summer, and it's been working out pretty well. So, what do you all think? -Dan
    ...See More

UPDATE: mnf - july - celebrating freedom Part 3

Q

Comments (145)
    Okay Ladies, that does it for me! I think we've heard from everyone who's going to speak up about their boxes. Everyone did a fantastic job for their partners! This swap had a lot of good times, and a few straight out of the Twilight Zone too. I'll peek in next week from New York to see how things are going for y'all over in the August swap. Linda, I'll e-mail you Friday or Saturday when I get the chance so you can let everyone know I made it okay. THANKS AGAIN FOR THESE WONDERFUL BOXES SOME OF YOU HAVE SENT FOR MY TRIP!!! I'm resealing the two I've opened so Paula will have fun opening them, and all others I'm waiting to get to New York to open. THANK YOU FROM ME AND PAULA!!! -Dan
    ...See More
  • elliesfun
    13 years ago

I wished it would rain in this area. It has been hot and dry for a month now and no matter how much water is used, the plants still look a little under par. The garden didn't produce anything, but the cool wet spring we had was great for the berries. Getting tons of strawberries, raspberries and the blackberries are just about ready. Will have to buy another freezer this weekend to put all the black berries...the other one if full. Well off to work I go...glad its Friday! Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Ellie

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

today we've been preparing for possible tornadoes tonight, ain't it cool! I love it when it's bad weather!!!

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Margo, its great to vent! It sounds like you definitely did the right thing.

Ellie, you are sooo lucky to have a freezer full of berries. I have black raspberries but the season is so short. I only have enough plants for one or two pies but boy are they delicious!
    Dan, tornadoes? yikes! Are they very common in your area?

Diene, your rain dance worked for us! Have you gotten rain yet?

Has everyone heard from their partner? I've not heard from Lisa. I've emailed her twice. Ellie, any luck?

• veeja11
    13 years ago

digging days for my box today and found some have underground name tags so partner some will have names. hugs ladies and Dan

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello Gladys et al;
    I am not home so I do not know about rain but I think not. Guess what all, I was in a store today and saw Tastykakes for sale. I did not buy them but before I leave I plan on it. Right now I am in Lancaster, PA which is really God's country. The fields are green and there are farms everywhere.
    Today I had to go pick DH up at the Philly airport, that was not as fun, traffic down here is awful. Makes me glad I live where I do.
    I have not heard from Lisa either and she is my partner so we shall see. I will let you know if I hear from her or get a package.
    Cindy, I did not get a box out before I left so it will ship on Monday, sorry for the delay but hopefully we will get rain and so the plants will fare better.
    Have a wonderful night all.
    diene

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa, Lisa where are you?
    Getting ready to go to the tomato gathering today. My daughter will be driving here from her home on the eastern shore of MD. Its a great way to sample different tomato tastes and plan for next years garden.
    Diene, Tastykakes are amazing aren't they? I love regional food. Are you going to have chicken corn soup while you are in Lancaster? That is one of my favorite summer memories.
    Enjoy the weekend all!

• smitties
    13 years ago

Hey Dan, hope all is ok with you. I got a call from my mom and she lives just north of Detroit in St. Clair Shores and she at that time, she had been out of power for 24 hours. She is on oxygen and fortunately doesn't need it too bad and still has spare filled tanks but you have to wonder about others with health issues. Poor mom was sitting in the dark with a flashlight all by herself. She mentioned that the 45 mile an hour winds were the problem. I know what you mean about having storms around. Kind of exciting until they are right above you :/ We had some nasty stuff a couple weeks ago and after the storm went right over, it turned into a tornado five miles east of us.

I contacted Diana but have not heard back from her. However, I am doing the happy dance because rain is headed this way. That will give the plants a good drink before I start digging. Luck is also with me because I am off on Tuesday so my plan is to package up on Monday night and mail bright and early Tuesday. I have everything I need and I hope Laura enjoys everything.

Have a good weekend everyone and happy gardening. Margo

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

I have not heard from Sherri and planned to dig tomorrow. I need her address. Are you out there Sherri?

We have rain this morning finally...but this is my yard working weekend. Suppose to have carpel tunnel surgery in 2 weeks and have lots to do outside since my working in the yard will be over for the year or at least I have been told by the surgeon.

Ellie

• w9yards
    13 years ago

Just got back from some last minute shopping for your box Margo. Watered all my plant areas yesterday, so I will gather plants on Sunday. I should have your box in the mail on Monday! It is a little cooler today so I'm hoping to get some more work done today. I weeded at 8:00 last night, really beautiful sunset and a nice breeze to go with it! Of course I had to follow that with a nice drink on the patio.

Have a great weekend!

Diana

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Those storms last night were absolutely positively fantastic! Fortunately there weren't any tornadoes in my area, but the light show was phenomenal! Stella hid beneath the bedcovers, the poor thing! But Bump took it all in stride, knowing he was inside and that I would take care of him. Sometimes I'm humbled in his trust in me, and sometimes it is a source of strength. All the plants in the area are looking so refreshed today, and I'm loving it. All my errands are done, and my 6-day work week is finished, so I'm home relaxing, enjoying the fact that I don't have to be anywhere, or do anything, until Monday morning. Tonight I can stay up as late as I wish, and hopefully Stella will allow me to sleep in tomorrow. Or maybe I'll go to bed early tonight, and still sleep in tomorrow! Who knows? All I know is, I don't have to make any decisions for the next 36+ hours, and I'm loving it! The one thing I do know about tomorrow is that I'll be getting out and digging up some plants for Ellie, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it... (grin)

• smitties
    13 years ago

My dance is over and it was a successful day for rain here. Now my flowers and vegies are doing a happy dance. For the first time in a couple of weeks, I did not have to go out and water.

Glad all you had was a light show Dan and hope you have a great sleep in.

• sherrih
    13 years ago

Hi all.. I'm here Ellie I replied to your email from the other morning..Glads said you had not heard from me..Soo I emailed you at work this morn ( sat)..Hope you got it..We have had rain all week this week..My plants are very happy..Had turned my spare bath into a hot house but was not workin out so well so I planted everything I had in there today and topped them all with plastic jugs, so now they all have there own lil hot houses.. Hope the poor things make it, very hot and humid here in La..Our storms were not as impressive as your were Dan so I missed out..Don't want to have any tornaidos though.. Bad enough we have to deal with the hurricanes, Katrina was a terrior I hope I never see anything like that ever again in my lifetime..Will be digging up plants for the trade tommorrow and mailing off my box on monday..Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone..
    Sherri/ sherrih

• lissa140
    13 years ago

OHHHH I am sooo sorry! Lightening struck our house and blew up my internet box! I just got internet back. yeahhhhh

I will get my box out asap

Gladys
    My address is:

Melissa Johnson
    5911 Hyde Park Rd.
    Ravenel, SC 29470

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melissa (sorry for calling you Lisa!),

When lightning struck your house, I hope it was ONLY your internet that was affected. Is everything ok?

Now that you are back on line, I just want to remind you that you will be sending to Diene. I will be sending to you.

My daughter's friend is visiting us from England and I think she brought us lots of English weather...not as cold as it is there but lots of rain. My garden is happy but its starting to feel fall-like.

I hope everyone had a fun and safe weekend.

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

My box will ship out in the morning i just finish tagging everything boy did I have a wonderful time...

cjcjmass

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy,
    Its great that you were able to ship out your box today. I am still working on mine.

Boxes should be mailed by tomorrow - August 24.

Just want to remind everyone to be sure to get a delivery confirmation for you package and post the number here so that your partner is aware.

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hello all,
    My goal is to get everything dug and packed today for shipping. Apologies if I'm a bit MIA from the boards though, as it has gotten wonderfully crazy with design commissions here! One is in the finishing stage, one is in the works, and three are just starting up with planning and working with the clients. PHEW! I really need to invest in a better arts computer program than this one from 1997... its practically obsolete! At least it does everything I need. Happy Monday,
    ~Laura

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

Hello everyone.

Just would like to let you know that my package went out today conf #0309 3220 000 1060 6002
    I had lots of fun getting everything together.
    Partner I sure hopoe that you enjoy everything that i sent to you..

Cjcjmass

• sherrih
    13 years ago

Evening Everyone,
    Had lots of rain here today, and going to continue for a few more days..Guess smitties rain dance worked all the way down to louisiana..
    Dan I mailed your box this morning your confirmation # is

1. Hope you like it.. I forgot to tag your live plants,so if you have any questions when it gets there let me know.. Off to finish dinner.
      Have a good one
      sherri...gw/sherrih
  • veeja11
    13 years ago

Kathie your box flew out today conf #03083390000145213754. hope you enjoy it. hugs carol

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Ellie, your delivery confirmation number is 9405 5036 9930 0323 3755 49, and it'll go into the mail tomorrow when I get to work. I wanted to put it together and mail your box this morning, but the wine I had last night with dinner said otherwise...lol! -Dan

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

The box to Sherri was mailed today. The confirmation # IS 0309 1140 0001 6763 8803
    Dan, you forgot to share that wine or did you put some in my box...he he! This is the first time I have ever mailed any plants so hoping they do ok. It has cooled off here at night alot but still gets close to 80 during the day but it is a different warmth...kinda like fall. Not quite ready for fall though.

Ellie

• smitties
    13 years ago

I just got back from dropping off my box to Laura and the DC is 0496 9007 8120 4705 9436. It should be there by Thursday since it doesn't have far to go. Margo

• diene
    13 years ago

Talk about under the wire, my box went out today. DC is 9405503699300323826560, not that I have much faith in that. I do not find that helps at all but it is easy to do when you print postage on line.
    Hope everything survives. I wish I had been better organized or had more time but life seems to be a bit hectic now. I was really feeling stressed this morning as I had a full day and did not think I would have time to dig or pack.
    Hope you enjoy Cindy.
    diene

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diene,
    I agree - I also wish I were more organized or had more time. Although I am hosting this, I found it really difficult to put a lot of "A" seeds in. I surely hope my plants survive the trip to Melissa's place.
    I can't wait to hear about how this worked for everyone!
    Melissa, your DC # is03093220000153031419

• w9yards
    13 years ago

I mailed my box to Margo today number 9405503699300324053064. I also received my box too! I must admit the chocolate that was enclosed in the box was immediately consumed! Yummy! I also received a really cute rooster plate and some pretty floral napkins. There were packets of seeds including snapdragon, blue lupine, green apple columbine, and cow parsley. I also had plants including black lily, sergentae lily, blue lupine, and yellow allium. Thank you so much Kathie for all of the time and effort you put into the box.

Thanks!

Diana

• veeja11
    13 years ago

I received a great box from Holly today, a living water gospel of john booklet, a blue plumeria blossom painted on a rock , signed kylo hw, funny since we are in the process of planning a hawaii vacation for november, for those of you who have been there what should I be sure to see ?plants
    11 noid iris tubers, mist un mount blue daylily. 2 noid daylilies, a bliss white daylily a hosta blue moon a purple and hot papaya echanacea, 2 casualaties a poor butterfly bush and ajuga cho chip, passed away enroute. thankyou Holly I love it all

• sherrih
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I recieved my box today. My first plant swap.. I ripped it open like a three year old on christmas morning.. It was loaded with live plants. I got hens and chicks, columbine,sedium, allium,iris,aleovera,wandering jew,and spider plants. ziplock bags full of them.. And a very sweet card..I love them THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ELLIE..I know you were worried but they all made it alive..Off to do some planting..
    Sherri

• diene
    13 years ago

Boy am I glad I shipped my box yesterday, the weather here has been dismal at best. Rain (which we desparately need), cold (which I do not mind) and dreary (which I do mind). It has also been quite windy and the ocean is wild. I just had an outing I was looking forward to cancelled due to high seas. Oh well, at least my box is heading south.

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its great that people are getting such good things in their boxes. Sherri - I bet you are hooked now!

• sinbadsmom
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!!! Got my box in the mail today, such a nice treat on such a windy rainy day! I got a beautiful necklace and earrings. Some note cards and a bunch of daylilies, and a lily. My favorite! Can't wait to see what they will look like next spring. Several packets of seeds none of which I have. astilibe which I also don't have, anothe small plant which I don't recognize have to find out what it is. Thanks,Carol for making my first swap so great! Kathie

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

according to the usps website, I'm thinking I'll get a box today, and the one I sent will be delivered. I don't know which one I'm excited about more! don't you just love it?

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hello everyone. Apologies, but I seem to be running a few days behind! I'm off to the garden right now to do some more digging, and I hope you think it is worth the wait.
    ~Laura

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

Wow!!!!!!!!!!
    I got my box today and boy was it packed to the top with lots of goodies. I truly do not know where to start o.k here it goes....Thanks Diene

Abundant Iris
    Astilbe (pink)
    Animal head chelome
    Amazing daylily (beautiful)
    Awesome lily
    Columbine
    Aromatic yarrow

Seeds

Astilbe (white)
    Astilbe (red)
    Astilbe (fushia)
    Althea Rose Hollyhock
    Allium

I truly can not wait to use all of my Arbonne products.
    body foaming wash
    body serum
    hydating body lotion

also face care product..
    I enjoy each and every item that i recieved..

Thanks again

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello Cindy;
    The "animal head" is really Chelome which is also called "turtleheads" because their flowers look like turtleheads but to keep with the theme, I took some license as with some of the other flowers.
    Hope you enjoy and they do well for you.
    Arbonne is botanically based so it also fit the theme.
    Glad you liked everything.
    diene

• smitties
    13 years ago

Received my box today from Diana. In there I found

Lavender plant
    pregnant onion
    garlic to eat or to plant and since there is two, I shall do both
    yellow iris along with a neat family story with them
    African blue basil
    and an Aloe start

All have been soaked and happily planted.

Also inside was apple ginger tea mix
    6 metal plant markers which now mark my new plants
    a journal and menu shopping magnetic list pad both titled Gardening girl. Fun

I also received an assortment of seeds.

Thank you Diana for a box well done. I will enjoy the plants for years to come.

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hello all. My outgoing box will fly tomorrow but in the meantime I received a wonderful box from Margo today stuffed with goodies! Here goes:

Assorted Seeds, about 10 different kinds
    Assorted plants
    -Liatris
    -Blue Flax
    -Lavender
    -Alyssum (Yellow)
    -Coneflower 'White Swan'
    -and Pink Tulip Bulbs
    Animal Crackers (YUMMY!)
    Air Freshener
    Apple Themed Kitchen Towel, Candle, and Soap
    Antibacterial Hand Gel (Cucumber Melon)
    Aloe Lip Balm
    and Amber-Rose Body Spray

Thank you for the wonderfulness, Margo. All of the plants are happily in the dirt adjusting to their new homes, and the bulbs will probably go in tomorrow.
    *hugs*
    ~Laura

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I received a fantastic box from Sherri today. Inside were an assortment of healthy plants with no names, though I think there were amaryllis in there. I like the fact that they weren't named, it'll be cool to see them bloom next summer and enjoy the mystery in the meantime! Sherri also sent a nice array of seeds, which I'll enjoy researching to find out more about. She also sent some figurines for the garden, and a nice green welcome sign, all of which will add some great touches to the garden. YAYYYY, AND THANK YOU SHERRI!!! You made my day today!

-Dan

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

I received my box from Dan today and there was lamb's ear, mint, purple lilac bush, yarrow and some assorted trees. Also several packages of seeds and a bulb which I will be sure to mark so that I can see what it will be in the spring. BUT ALSO my favorite candy bar (Almond Joy). I have everything sitting in some water for tonight. We are in the middle of a huge dust storm and also the smoke of a huge fire to the west of us. Thank you so very much Dan.
    Ellie

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received my box from Cindy. Thank you so much. How did you know I love Almond Joys?
    The box was packed with plants - Asparagus Fern, Asiaticum Crinum,Agastache "golden jubilee" and pray hand hosta. They are all soaking now so that they can be planted.

Seeds included Alyssum, African Daisy, Ascelepias Syriacs, Alcea Rosea Hollyhock.

You did a great job with all those A's...I had a lot trouble finding so many.

There was a wonderful bottle of Aloe Vera liquid soap. An adorable set of plant feet (my deck thanks you!) and a cute 2 tier hanging bell - it has a very sweet ring to it.
    Thanks, Cindy.

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

My box flew out today, DC# 9405 5036 9930 0327 3007 83. Again, sorry for the delay but I hope you think it is worth the wait. Duncan and I will be at his family reunion this weekend, then Monday he leaves for Graduate School in California. *sigh* At least I'll be keeping busy with school starting and a friend from Canada visiting this week. Lots going on!
    ~Laura

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention that all the plants were neatly tucked into a felt watering can - so cute! Thanks again, Cindy!

gladys

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

One of the plants Sherri sent was a rabbits foot fern, and she's helped me find out that I can safely grow it indoors and that it won't harm the cats. Sherri also helped me find the aspca site, which lists a long list of house plants which are cat-safe, so I'll be getting back to my indoor farming again, beginning with my lucky rabbits foot. Thanks again Sherri!
    -Dan

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laura, Its great you have so much going on to keep your mind off Duncan going to California. Maybe you can get a good air fare there this year. Rabbits foot fern sounds pretty interesting, Sherri and Dan.

My pepper plants are really giving me some beauties now. I went to the state fair today and wished I had entered some of my peppers. I received some really interesting ones in the tomato and pepper swap last year. I heartily recommend that one if you are into tomatoes and peppers.

Still waiting to hear from Melissa. I hope her electricity is back to normal.

g

• mamasllamas
    13 years ago

Received my A box today from Laura here's what she sent it's great! 3 gardening magazines, a wind chime, a note book, 5 or 6 daylilys and a bunch of irises! and 10 packs of seeds a pack of incense and a lovely note, I just love the box of goodies, and the daylilys I didn't have any of them and they're very wet and the irises are sprouting so they are going to make it! thanks again Laura it's a great box of surprises, holly

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Has everyone received their package? I still have not heard from Melissa and I know Diene did not receive her package from her. I do not know if Melissa received mine but it definitely was delivered. I am disappointed :(

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

Gladys,

Thank you so much for Hosting this swap I enjoy reading everyone post ...

Cindy

• winnie850
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy,
    Thank you for participating. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as you did.

Thank you to everyone who posted and participated. It was great fun to host and I look forward to participating in more swaps.

Dan's September swap sounds like lots of fun. I love the conversations he has going on. I can't participate this time with so many personal things occupying me right now but I surely hope everyone has a good time.

Thanks again, everyone!