SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

EarthTainer Rev. 'C' simplified design (PICS)

rnewste
15 years ago

One of the elements of the self-supporting cage system was the outside "Port" and "Starboard" wire rope that kept the cages vertical and rigid. However, this cabling made it difficult to raise the lid and black plastic moisture barrier to empty the potting mix, etc.

{{gwi:1336131}}

The wiring also interferes a bit with the plants.

{{gwi:1336132}}

So I have come up with an alternative way of securing the Aeration Bench to the outer container shell and still maintain the rigidity of the entire system. First, after using 8 wire rope clips on the legs of the cages sitting on the Aeration Bench, I then add 6 clips to the underside to firmly anchor the cages to the Bench.

{{gwi:1336133}}

I use a hollow wall anchor bolt that goes through the outer container, and into the side of the Aeration Bench.

{{gwi:1336134}}

You need to place the hole ABOVE the water level so it won't leak when the 'Tainer is full.

{{gwi:1336135}}

This Rev "C" approach costs about the same, but you now are able to easily lift up the lid and mulch to plant, etc.

When the 'Tainer is full, there is approx 160 pounds of water and moistened potting mix with a low center of gravity, so even with fully loaded tomato plants, it is quite stable and not prone to tip over.

Raybo

Comments (2)