SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnpeter_gw

Pushing the envelope on seed saving and planting

johnpeter
15 years ago

I have quite a collection of expensive seeds that I have bought over the years, for heirloom tomatoes. I just received another shipment yesterday, from TomatoFest, which I have yet to break open.

I used to have 100% germination rates, in the early 2000s. In the last couple years, they're essentially zero. But I am heartened to see two baby plants poking their heads up. I planted the seeds on 19 April, so I suppose 12 days is reasonable timing.

Still, I have some questions, which some of the experienced growers might be able to answer:

1) My seeds have sat in their packets in my garage over the last few years. One delivery was in there for one hot autunm only. It gets over 100 degrees F in there in the summer and autumn. Is this utterly unwise? Really?

2) I am planting seed outdoors, in trays with an inch or two of my homemade compost as a medium. This year, my compost is devoid of foreign seeds. Should I be using "planting mix"? There is no visible fungus or other nasty stuff in my compost. It looks great.

3) I added a small quantity of manure to my composter after I drew from the composter for my seed planting. Is this manure bad for my next seeding attempt. It's 10 days old now.

4) The nighttime temps get down to about 50 deg F here, sometimes. Are cold nighttime temps a problem. I wouldn't think so, because I have seen volunteers germinate like "wild" in previous years, when I was less careful.

In my more successful times, I seeded inside the kitchen in February, in a south-facing window box that got a lot of sun. Were the relatively even temperatures of the interior of my house important to my success?

I believe my biggest mistake was keeping the seeds in my garage. From now on, they'll probably go in my basement vault! One extreme to another, I suppose.

Comments invited.

TIA

John

Comments (4)