SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesslovesreg

Tomato garden problems - please help identify and treat PICS

jesslovesreg
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my new tomato garden, and I'm hoping to get some advice on what it is and how to fix it. I can't tell if it's leaf spot or just bad weather conditions (I don't think it's early blight) - after taking pics I'm thinking it's aphids, but I don't know anything about them. So here's some background:

About 10 days ago I planted 4 tomato plants (roma, 2 - sweet 100, mr. stripey) along with 2 cucumber plants and some herbs in a small garden (8x5 feet) on the side of my house. All of the plants looked great, except the basil pot was a little moldy - white spots inside the peat pot, I removed most and planted anyway because the plant looked very healthy - was that a mistake?

The soil is rocky clay, (lots of earthworms) but we amended with composted manure and garden soil and tilled as deeply as we could removing rocks as we went along, and leaving small rocks to "keep the soil aerated / improve drainage".

Our weather has been pretty wet and humid lately. It rains on and off and it's very windy, but humid. Because of this, I've only watered the garden twice: once when I planted, and the second time my hubby misted it (Is it really bad to get the leaves wet?).

A few days ago I noticed small spots on the leaves of one of my tomato plants, I removed the leaf, but the problem is spreading. Also my sweet basil looks horrible compared to a few days ago - wilty and discolored leaves. My cucumber seedlings don't seem to be making any progress either. Here are some pics, please help me figure out how to get my garden healthy again. It's my first garden and I don't want to use anything too harsh because I hope to be eating it's fruits very soon and I also really don't want to kill the earthworms or drive away any other good critters.

All of my tomato plants are about this size, with a similar amount of spots:

A close up of the spotty tomato leaves.

This is the sickly sweet basil plant I mentioned. Could aphids be causing this discoloration and how do I get rid of them?

Anyone have advice on how to get these cucumber seedlings to perk up and start growing? (I'm going to use a trellis of some sort because of space issues - if they survive!)

See the aphid? (I think that's a fat little aphid?) Can they really do this much damage? Will it get worse / should I leave it alone or use something to get rid of them?

___________________V

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH