SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiemwish

Should I be worried about my tomatoes getting too hot?

angiemwish
10 years ago

Hi everybody! I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of your informative postings... I have read and learned so much from all of these forums.

This is my first year growing tomatoes from seed, and I have followed all of the FAQ information, and have been hoping for success! I am growing costoluto genovese, ildi, reisetomate, black cherry and tie dye berkeley. My boyfriend has recently built me a greenhouse (which the picture shows only one shelf of tomatoes, there are more on the other shelf). The greenhouse is in direct sun almost all day. It was 25 degrees (~ 80 F) in the greenhouse when it was 9 degrees outside, and that was just in the early morning! Wow!

I am wondering, should I be worried about the tomatoes overheating in the next 2 weeks while they are out there? I can leave the door open, if overheating may be a problem, or put a tarp over it?

I will be bringing them in overnight if the temperature goes below 50 (F). I have also left 8 healthy plants downstairs under my lights, just because I am new to all of this and don't want to kill off all of my tomato babies.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!!

:) Thanks!

Angie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus