SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
mgood4u

UPDATE: Hortiholics Anonymous Pals July gifts : )

mgood4u
16 years ago

Hi everyone! Well, it's a new month and it better be a great one! I think it was a hectic month for everyone.

Unfortunately, Gardeningnutinva had to back out of the swap. Her father had a heart attack and she is going to help her mother 24/7 so her time is very valuable right now.

I believe we will have a new member , Indyjoy, will be taking her place.

I am just waiting for her to email me her email address so I can get the questionaire to her.

Has anyone heard from Grovespirit?? I hope she is ok. I sent her a couple emails but haven't heard anything. I need to speak with her to see if she can still participate before I actually get a replacement.

UPTREASA- I will send you an email also, but your pal has emailed me to say that your gift is coming. She is very apologetic that she is running late and hopes that you are not upset.

I believe everyone else has said that there pal boxes are on the way. So, lets give it a little time and if you don't receive something shortly then email me.

Also, I just wanted to add that your gift to your pals doesn't have to be a laid out box every month. Things happen and sometimes the best we can do at the time is a card or small token to let them know you are still thinking of them. Please don't feel that you always have to stuff a flat rate box of goodies! There are lots of other months to spoil our pals!

Happy fourth of July! Have a safe and fun weekend.

mgood4u

Comments (85)

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

EVERYONE READ THIS!!!!!!!

TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SENT JUNE BOXES TO THEIR PALS YET--IF YOUR PAL DOES NOT RECEIVE HER JUNE BOX BY FRIDAY JULY 22 THEN I WILL HAVE TO REPLACE YOU IN THE SWAP. IT IS GETTING TO CONFUSING WHEN SO MANY SAY THEY ARE SENDING LATE AND WILL SEND THEN A WEEK OR SO LATER I AM FLOODED WITH EMAILS THAT THERE ARE STILL NO PACKAGES AT THE DOOR! I CAN UNDERSTAND IF 1 OR 2 PEOPLE HAVE A UNFORESEEN PROBLEM ONCE IN A WHILE AND SEND A LITTLE LATE--BUT SO MANY ALL THE TIME? I AM NOT SIGNALING ANY ONE IN PARTICULAR OUT--SO NO ONE TAKE THIS PERSONALLY OR BE OFFENDED-THERE ISN'T ONE NAME ON MY MIND RIGHT NOW. I AM TOO CONFUSED FOR THEIR TO BE! LOL. SO, LET'S JUST DO IT THIS WAY.

NOW THE LAST DAY OF JULY IS A SUNDAY-THE 31ST. SO, I GUESS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, YOU SHOULD PLAN ON SENDING BY JULY 28TH (THURS.) --THAT IS IF YOU'RE SENDING PRIORITY--IN ORDER FOR IT TO ARRIVE BY BUY THE END OF JULY.

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Hi everybody. Just want to say that my secret pal box for July is shipping on Monday. I could have it ready Friday but don't want it sitting in the post office over the weekend. I have had so much fun shopping and searching for this stuff. I used to hate shopping ???

Dawn, I hope your feeling better.

Maureen

• Related Discussions

Hortiholics Anonymous March Swap

Q

Comments (58)
    hello again ladies, I am sorry for all this mess. I wish this never happened. I wish I was told sooner.. Would like the 3 pals who I feel I cheated them please email me and I will glady send out new boxes. If they felt they needed to cause all this then they should be able to email me directly. I will not have people thinking I cheaped another. I dont lie, I am a honest person . Tina- ---------Putting 2 packets of seeds and a small trinket in a box and sending it off is somewhat disappointing------- I don't think I have ever remember sending just a trinket with 2 seeds. but my memroy fades during the time I was so sick. as for sending someone something they had all ready sent me was --- seeds. I pasted on seeds that i was done with, instead of let them go to waste in a basket. if that offended someone then i'm sorry I just wanted to share.I thought everyone sent seeds on to a next person., was your name on them? maybe they got mixed up, I don't know. I did baggie up lots of extra seeds I had leftover after wintersowing and sent them off. hoping someone could use them. if i got them mixed up IÂm really am sorry. tina you sent me an mean email, after i reply wholeheartly to your previous one. then said your were sorry after your got it not blaming you. then you post a nastier post last night. I am confused now? I did stand up for your last year on 2 conflicts you had last year. late shippments and another round robin problem now I feel that you were very harsh on me and you did say if they did not want me then you you could not let me participate. --------look at all of the items you receive every month, then compare what you send. Would you say that is fair. All these gals send very nice, well packaged boxes, every month! I'm sure you can see the comparison.---------- That was very mean of you to say. When did this become a contest. I am not made of money. I send what I can when I can. as timely as I can. how am I to know what price range I will receive every month when boxes come at different times and from different people. We never set a price range so how is anyone able to judge another, by their box? I make candles and love them, I love to share. were they dirty or have wax on the jars? they are very pricy to make trust me, and I have to buy the baby food jars off of ebay to pour them. I donÂt get them free. they take loads of time and energy. I make scented rosehips.they are about $10 ½ lb unscented. I have shared them too. I have never sent out anything dirty. or from my basement. so donÂt know were that came from. --------I was very compassionate and honest---------- I didnÂt see that in this email, but the following email I did. then I read your post. so I am confused on if I am the bad person for sending a package or nothing at all. ----------One of the gals pointed out that you had spent more on postage than the contents of the box, There isn't any sense in sending a box out like that------------- how would they know? I donÂt remember anyone shopping with me or helping me get to the post office while I was hacking my lungs out. One month,, one of the items I sent was several quilting pattern printout that took me a few hours to pick out easy fun patterns, not alone the ink I had to replace the next time I used my printer. I sent out seeds packet templates. which I use a lot of, I thought my pal like them too. homemade gifts are from the heart not the wallet. -----------I have to go with what this group feels, not my personal opinion Erica. If the girls are not happy with your boxes, I can't continue to let you participate.------ how else was I suspose to take that? it sounded pretty cut and dry to me. Thank you all who has spoken up for me, I love you all and it really warms my heart. I donÂt want to leave I just feel pushed out.. Please have a safe spring and summer and god bless.. ..erica
    ...See More

NEW: Hortiholics- Anonymous pal swap

Q

Comments (100)
    Luvstogarden--your info should be arriving any time now as it was mailed out with the others. I don't know about the return addr. thing. I did it with my box before and PO lady said "Any reason why this is the same addr?" I told her it was a secret swap thing. And she just said OK. But, due to terrorism, like Dusty said you might end up having the PO go through your stuff. As of right now I have 2 trades that were supposed to be sent to me that are MIA. One time I had a bubble envie returned in a plastic bag - it was ripped up. Guess it went through the shredder! I have sent things without writing my name and only putting my addr. That's an idea as well.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Hortiholics Anon. August gifts received :) :) :)

Q

Comments (64)
    Hey everyone! Long time and no post....sorry too busy starting nursing school. It sounds like everyone is getting great packages. Well I thought I would log on and drop a hint for my partner. I have a small hosta bed on my north side of my house and it is in total shade. They grow like crazy and I noticed it looks a little blah. I think it might be because I only have one type of hosta. Green with white edges. Sooooo....If my person would like to send me some different ones in blue-green and yellowish leaves or anything else that would grow in total shade that would be great! My campus has wi-fi so hopefully when I am really bored in class I can log on here and see what is happening. So everyone getting excited for bulb planting season? I know I am last year I planted 1000+ bulbs. I wonder how many I will get in the ground this year? With school and work I hope to add a few more. I know I am going to add more snow crocus to my lawn. I love seeing them pop through the grass in the spring. Little packets of white yellow and purple. They are the usually the first blooms I get this far north. Well I suppose I should get back to my homework!
    ...See More

UPDATE: ~~~Hortiholics September Gifts~~~

Q

Comments (39)
    I'm afraid my old pal is having some difficult times, since I didn't get an August package, or the mail system lost it. I just hope she and her family are OK. My new pal assured me with a sweet greeting, that my September box is on it's way, and she apologized that it's late. : ) It should be here any day now. : ) I'm sooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to tell you about it!! : ) Well, I entered 6 recipes in that local cook-off, so in about three weeks I'll know if I get chosen to go there and make one or more of them. The grand prize is $500 worth of groceries. I've entered 12 years, and have been chosen to participate every time. I usually have something I raised in the recipes. Hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful fall. Our leaves are gorgeous right now. And, no FROST yet, so I've been enjoying my flowers longer than a lot of years. : ) Treasa
    ...See More
  • mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Maureen-I am feeling somewhat better. Especially since I got my box from my pal today! Thanks so much pal-how nice! I got a detox tea-really need that!, a mermaid rain catcher, a really cute decorative snail stepping stone, Sundrop plants, Pachysandra, and Astilbe-which I love! And a pretty decorative ball shape made out of Lilys. I think I covered it all! I opened it first thing when it came and I am just posting now. Thanks pal-what a great way to make me feel better! :)

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Plecandlez has to drop out so I am hunting a new Hort. Just an FYI.
    DAwn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, flower_power_nc has dropped. So, right now we don't need a replacement. Treasa--hold out I'm waiting to get your pals info.

Anyone want to drop now? We're on a roll, here. I'd rather you do it now than in a week from now.

Should we continue with the swap or call it quits for now? What do you guys think?

Thanks Dawn

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Oh come on guys! Please help Dawn out and keep up with your secret pal boxes :)

• hummingbirddaisy
    16 years ago

WOW!!! Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Dawn, I apologize for all of the hassle. I would love to continue this rr, but if it is going to be so frustrating for you, I would completely understand not wanting to continue.

How many of us are serious about keeping our commitment?
    How many of us KNOW that we can continue to be responsible, and have fun sending out our trades?
    I am!

Please let Dawn know, on this forum, if you are serious and plan to continue responsibly with this rr.

Enjoy your weekend.
    Love and hug's to you Dawn.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers sweetheart.
    Tina

• efrosty1
    16 years ago

hi, dawn i came to help out as a replacement..i am willing to still do my part if you need me.. if not let me know.. but i'm here for the long haul.until you tell me otherwise..lol

so come on everyone thats get a head count, so dawn does not have to do all the work by her self.

------------------------------------------------------
    hummingbirddaisy-- i wanted to thank you for being my daughter's (lindsey) adopted gardener buddy..she is very excited to be adopted.i tried to email you, i do not know if you got it or not..i have not been getting all my emails from my daughter round robin for kids. so i just wanted to thank you... erica

• luvs2garden8686
    16 years ago

wow sorry I haven't posted in a while...yea I've already got my boxes and sent mine out from last month and promise I will get this month's box out ON TIME! lol. sorry last month's is a little late secret pal but life does get in the way of some of the less important things. sometimes there's more important things in life that just have to be done more than others. I hope you like the things in last month's box and this month's box :-) and dawn I'm sorry to hear that you are doing badly! god bless you!

• Paula_z5_IL
    16 years ago

Hi! just wanted to say, look out secret pal I mailed the July box to you this Morning! :)
    and Dawn: I will stay in the game until I am told to leave or that it is over which ever comes first. :)
    I hope evey thing gets better soon.
    ~Paula

• jcpyburn
    16 years ago

Well, I am in it for the long haul and I hope that we can continue, even if some drop out. This is my first one of these and I am really enjoying it so far!

Carly

• barb_ny5
    16 years ago

My my. I've been away for a while and didn't realize how much has been going on.
    1st. Dawn, I hope that you are feeling better and that this surgery you are planning brings you much relief. Best wishes.
    2nd. I'm in this for as long as it works. I don't think it's fair to Dawn to have to deal with all the late/missing/ non-existant gifts month to month. I may be quilty of not getting to my pal the first week or so of the month, but if I was having serious difficulty I would at least drop a note to them and tell them I'm running behind. Everyone knows that "life" happens and getting a box together may be difficult at that particular time. I think that those of us who signed up for this at least owe it to Dawn for all the work she put into it to keep it running smoothly. And that's my 2 cents. Have a good weekend, Barb

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Geez guys, I miss the good ole days of chatting instead of gripeing! So, here's my last gripe! Lisamae_PA had also dropped out!! (My own sister!!!!!!)LOL! I am waiting for a newcomer to email me back and be a replacement.

So, anyways--are there any good internet sales going on for plants? I got an email from Garden Crossings - 11.00 Daylilies! That's not bad.

Anyone planting anything new?
    Anyone have a new bloom that absolutely love?

I am not planting anything new. I am trying to move and organize what I have. Someone sent me some Allium 'Hair' bulbs--I planted them. I love big flowering Alliums!
    My first Caladium popped up today! I wasn't expecting them for a while--I love them! Also, I have some Nigella coming up from seed and Celosia cristata 'Red Velvet' from seed. I like it when my seeds actually germinate--then they really do feel like my babies! The brightest bloom I have seen is Phlox 'Starfire'. It is gorgeous. My butterfly weed is starting to bloom also. I seen a hummer the other day and more butterflies today. My Society Garlic is getting a bloom. I grew sunflowers from seed for the first time and they bloomed-tall and neat looking. Fire and Ice Hosta looks just like it came out of a magazine. It really does look like twisting flames of fire with pure white in the middle. I'm still waiting for my Asiatic lilies to burst open. They were a gift from my old pal-Dustydigger! The cutest little blooms ever are pretty, coral colored, daisy like flower on Delosperma and the TINYIEST 'Nora Barlow' Columbine bloom. The plant is only about 4" high and it bloomed the cutest little perfect flower. About the size of a nickle. I have a campanula that just bloomed the cutest little purple bells--it is a stalk about 15-18" tall--anyone know what type of Campanula that is?

when the sun goes down and it is breezy and your not working in your garden but taking in the beauty of it--paying attention to the tiny things sometimes overlooked--it gives you a new perspective on things.

This is what I loved about our swap! Being able to write a short novel about the things blooming in your garden knowing that others here will read and take part in your excitement (especially when your family/friends are sick of pretending to care about your flower stories)!

I'm glad to hear you all want to stick it out. I was beginning to wonder if you guys were thinking that with being busy, and summer vacations, and other things that have happened the swap was starting to be a hassle instead of fun. I sent out a few packages to those who pals dropped but hadn't sent. But, I know there are more of you and I am not sure that I can handle that right now. I geuss I can send for them but would it be ok if the box came sometime before the end of the swap rather than immediately. You would still be getting the same number as you sent - just not right away. I want it to be fair so no one gets skipped, but I can't send them all at one time (right now).

You guys are still the best Hortiholics ever! Even my sister who bailed on me! lol.
    Thanks for the emotional support--Lord knows I need it!!! LOL! :)--tell me about your pretty garden stuff!

• efrosty1
    16 years ago

hello, instead of you taking all the people who didn't get boxes. why not post them and maybe some of us can help out..i don't mind sending a extra box if that will help you get your bearing back in order...and may that will get things back in order. do you have an even number again?

• claudia_1078
    16 years ago

I guess I was too busy lately to check in - lot's of things going on - Dawn, hope you will soon be better -
    and drop outs? I enjoy the Hortiholics too much, I wont drop out (or until you will keep me, LOL)
    My July surpise arrived today, thank you pal. I was busy gardening - it's incredibly hot here in MN - when I received my box. A big beautiful tote bag, filled with goodies: seeds packets in a knitted little purse, wool, yarn, and antique buttons. Now I just have to find my next project!! Thanks pal.
    I will check in more often and please : Let's keep going!!
    Have fun gardening and keep cool!!
    Claudia

• uptreasa
    16 years ago

I'm staying, unless you kick me out! : ) I tell people locally that I'm a hortiholic and they get the biggest laugh out of that word! hehehe I have been practically living every spare moment in the garden lately. So many plants are maturing or blooming earlier this year. I always enter a lot in my county fair, so that's coming up in a couple weeks. Collected a whole bunch of Woad seeds this morning for sharing/trading. What a prolific seed producer it is. And a brilliant flower too! I hope our pal list gets straightened out soon. Sorry, for all that, Dawn. See you later, hortiholics!! : ) Treasa

• jcpyburn
    16 years ago

Hi, all,

I received my June box over the weekend and I thought that instead of trying to find the june thread to post that I would go ahead and post on this one!! I got a cute little bird feeder, some very smell-good apple hand lotion(always need lotion, hands too dry from diggin in the dirt!!), a homemade heating pad that has rice in it that you microwave, and a decorative cross on a pedestal with a lovely saying on it. I think that is it, I hope I didn't forget anything! Thanks secret pal, I love them all!!

Carly

• stacy_tn_z7
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I received my June package this morning and it was filled with lots of goodie seeds and some cute magnets that say 'It's Good To Be Queen'. Really cute! Thanks secret pal! Stacy

• ggsnail
    16 years ago

My July package is on it's way.

I hope you enjoy, secret pal!

Gail

• efrosty1
    16 years ago

shopping for next months secert pal box--already..heheheh

i can't wait until i get my first Hortiholic box.. i am very excited............have a great week everyone....

• indyflower
    16 years ago

I'm putting in my 2 cents too!!! I want to continue this RR!!!

This is my first 12 month RR and I'd like to see it thru to the end!!!

I really enjoy sharing my gardening experiences and exchanging gardening gifts.

Dawn, if you can put up with 'US' a little longer, We'll get things going smoothly again "Scout's Honor".

I mailed my July package and the tracking# is 0304 3490 0000 8807 8451.

I was reading some old posts and saw how quickly everyone signs onto the RR.

But later when packages are to be sent. Suddenly.......

There "isn't enough hours in a day" to get the packages together and in the mail.

I believe people 'Make' time for the things that are important to them!

We are all adults and know what will be required of us to take on a RR.

Let's support the RR we have began and continue to have some Fun!!!!

Oop! Sorry.....That's the 'Old Sergent" coming out!

Anyway, my garden is growing great...

Happy Gardening <:- harriette>

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So glad you all want to stick around! We will be back on track !

• stacy_tn_z7
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I received my July package and WOW! it was full to overflowing with wonderful gifts! I received two herb plants that my SP must have searched high and low for, a Curry plant and an Upright Germander plant, a huge, detailed Encyclopedia of Herbs, a basket of Cucumber Melon lotions, candles and sprays (which is one of my favorite scents), Japanese Morning Glory seeds, Kitkat Bites, and two gifts for my little ones, a book for the younger and a box games for my older. I hope I didn't forget anything because I'm just as pleased as punch for all the goodies in this box - thank you so much SP! Hugs, Stacy

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

HI. I just received my box too! I went home to pack up a shipment to send out on my lunch hour and my secret pal box was on my doorstep.

OMG -- I think I just got my first CANA!!! Did you know I was starting a hummingbird garden??? And the other plant I got was a sedum (I think??).
    I also got a nice scented green rainforest candle that I will be lighting tonight as I plant my first Cana. I also got a lotion, a bath loofah sponge thing. And a packet of heirloom calendula seeds. Unfortunately, the pretty ceramic planter cracked in transit. Thanks secret pal. I love plants and I and crazy about this canna. Or is it cana?

Maureen

• efrosty1
    16 years ago

Cleaning Poem

I asked the Lord to tell me
    Why my house is such a mess.
    He asked if I'd been 'puteing',
    And I had to answer "yes."

He told me to get off my butt
    And tidy up the house.
    And so I started cleaning up...
    The smudges off my mouse.

I wiped and shined the topside.
    That really did the trick...
    I was just admiring my work...
    I didn't mean to 'click.'

But click, I did, and oops I found
    A real absorbing site
    That I got SO way into...
    I was into it all night.
    -Sigh-

Nothing's changed except my mouse
    It's very, very shiny.
    I guess my house will stay a mess...
    While I sit here on my hiney.

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL-That is very cute. It seems to be my theme poem lately!

• indyflower
    16 years ago

efrostry1......nice poem....seems to be my theme too!!
    I'm glad see the Round Robin is flying smoothly!
    Happy Gardening <:->

• Paula_z5_IL
    16 years ago

WhooHoo! I got a package from my secret pal today!
    With lots of cool goodies in it.... and a whole bag of CHOCOLATE! all to myself!
    Which I am eating as I write. I have to tell you secret pal my motto has always been: "Chocolate makes life Happy:) I have been having a real crappy week so far and you just made my day! :)
    I also got a really cute Sun and birdie magnet wind chime, Gardening gloves, stationary/notecards,and really cool flower party plates and napkins, (hey how did you know I needed them! those are so perfect for my little luncheon thing next month with my garden circle.
    You are a psychic I tell you! :)
    Thank you so much secret pal! Your the best!
    ~Paula
    P.S. great poem efrosty!

• hummingbirddaisy
    16 years ago

I received my July box! I just love my secret pal! She sent me my very first flavored herbs!!!
    Orange Thyme
    Lemon Thyme
    Pineapple Sage

A beautfil hand sculptured garden marker espeially made for me "Tina's Garden". IT IS JUST BEAUTIFUL!

Seeds:
    Zinnia
    Columbine
    and Stevia!!!

Thank you so very much secret pal! I will enjoy EVERYTHING!

Blessings, Tina

• luvs2garden8686
    16 years ago

well I got my july box from my pal and gosh was it a box! I got some very very nice smelling perfume...revlon cherish,a type of succulent-living stone lithos species...really neat looking! and I also got some seeds and a really pretty stepping stone that says welcome to my garden and it's got a sunflower and dragon fly in the middle. oh and I also got a gardening journal that will come in lot's of handy! thanks soooooooo much pal! I'm gonna get my pal's box out after I get back from the beach(I gotta go finish packing I'm leaving tomorrow!! I hope that's ok because I plan to get some goodies down there for ya pal so watch out!!

• lilyroseviolet
    16 years ago

That young married dude never acknowledge the small token I sent this month, hope he got it says Mr. Lilyroseviolet, and I guess summer has distracted the best of us.
    I'll be trying to do better next month myself and hope everyone is having a great summer.
    Remember to stay out of that direct rays and drink lots of clean cool water!

Having trouble keeping up with all my dead heading and weeding...

And I must say that I really love my secret pal...(IN case Mr Lilyroseviolet is reading this...not the young married male, but the one who sends me a beautiful and thoughtful package each month fit to make anyone feel very special!

Gees if that young married guy's wife is reading this let it be known that August package is intended for you in mind...give me hints what you would like :)

I better say goodbye before I put my foot deeper in my mouth than I have.

Cheers

• indyflower
    16 years ago

Lilyroseviolet.......great pix, it brightens up our post, thanks! I'm going shopping soon for my SP August box. Do we have a theme for next month? How about a Butterfly theme...we can send things that either have a butterfly on it or some plants that will attract a butterfly! Let's vote on it or maybe someone has other ideas for August, it' only 9 days way.

• wishnforspring
    16 years ago

Hey everyone,
    I received my July box on Friday, or was it Thursday? I am as confused as everyone else! Thank you Sp for the Jasmine plant! I have to read up as to where to plant it though. I am hoping it will survive the NY Winters-- if not my wonderful BF Tom, has been working hard on my greenhouse. He is so good to me! And it's still NO GGsnail you can't have him!!LOL!!
    Had my sons graduation party today. Small,mostly family and the weather was beautiful. High 80's not a cloud in the sky and the humidity was way down finally!
    Now I can work on my plants for postage project starting Monday.
    Dawn, I hope your back is better. Are you having a nerve block? Clinicals can screw your back up as well as all the lifting in the nursing profession. It's rewarding but also hard on your body. After 11 yrs. of it I had to have a break. What a difference in my back! Just applied to get back into it though cuz I do miss my patients.
    My SP dropped out. My ? is do I still send a box for July. Sorry, I am guilty of not sending yet,my excuse is son's party and working 40 hrs. plus all week. Please forgive me and don't boot me.... waaaaahhh. :o(
    Hope everyone stays with us. I think we all get overwhelmed at times and stress ourselves out. Most everyone I've delt with here has been great and has kept in touch as far as trading or not.
    Happy gardening horti's!
    Lisa

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

I think a butterfly theme is a great idea.

And lucky you wishing for spring, you got a Jasmine?? I'm going to look into getting one next season. I just have to figure out how I will overwinter these tropical type plants. I need someone to build me a greenhouse. :-)

My sp gift for August is here and ready to go as soon as I come back from my Pittsburgh vacation.

Enjoying the summer lots, have fun in the garden everyone,
    Maureen

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi guys! Well, way back in the beginning we took a vote as to have a theme each month or to send whatever we desired, and we agreed to go with whatever rather than a theme. BUt, if you would like to pick up a theme for your boxes you can do surprise themes - like if you want to do a b-fly theme for August--just put the stuff in and tell your pal her Aug. theme is b-flys.

LILYROSEVIOLET--great pic! I am still trying to figure out how to do that! Do you have to special equipment to post a pic like you did. I have tried copy/paste but it never works! And, is that a type of Rose? Also, what are those pink ones I love them--very cute!

WISHNFORSPRING-You don't have to send for July- that has been taken care of. You just send to your new pal starting in August. I haven't gotten any nerve blocks. My Dr. had mentioned it but I don't think that is something I would want to do, esp. since surgery is right around the corner. Can you still walk around and stuff with that type of Epidural? I assume it is a walking epidural, that they don't leave in.?. I think my children are suffering the worst. I remember I used to get up early and we would be out of the house by 11:00 am and doing stuff. It has been so long since I had the energy and ability to run and play and get around with them--especially my little one. I cannot wait until i can take them out again and I don't feel like I have to lay down or sleep because of this medication I have now. I just try to give them lots of snuggles and read books--but they are boys and they want/need to be rowdy and run! Thank God for awesome Daddy's !!!

GGSNAIL- Your July box is running a little late. Pal wants you to know that she is thinking of you and will be sending on Mon or Tues. :)

Has everyone gotten a June box now? Don't worry--I don't think I'll be giving anybody the boot! lol.

Thanks, Dawn

• sparrownest
    16 years ago

I received my June box last Thursday. It had a mermaid rain guage, blue lupine seeds and a plant of -uchysandra(?) -- couldn't read what the first letter is. Still waiting on my July box. Thank you pal.

• ggsnail
    16 years ago

Lisa, you are so mean! Well, if I lived closer could I borrow him? With your handy dandy greenhouse, overwintering won't be so much of an issue will it? You are so lucky. I'm glad to hear that the graduation party went off well.

I don't have a greenhouse but I FINALLY got an obelisk. I got it at Goodwill. It was already a dark smoky green. I took it home and sprayed it with copper spray paint, leaving some of the green showing through and it looks great! Now if my variegated morning glories would do their thing, it would be beautiful.

Dawn, tell my sp no problem. It's still July and I've been re-doing my front flower bed anyway. Nothing has gone back into the ground yet so I'm cool.

Looks like everyone is getting some real cool stuff.

All you mid-westerners and northerners are getting our heat this year. I feel for you. We had some triple digit days but we're back to the high 90s in the afternoon with rain almost every afternoon/evening. It reminds me of south Louisiana. The humidity is oppressive even in the morning.
    Y'all hang in there and stay cool!

Gail

• wishnforspring
    16 years ago

GGSNAIL:
    Can you post a pic of your Obelisk? it sounds really nice and will look great with your Vareigated MG's.
    Now I know how Texas really feels. Tomorrow it is supposed to be the hottest day in NY this Summer. It was only 94 today.I am used to it. We really need some rain though.
    DAWN:
    The nerve block would not be left in and you would'nt have to stay in the hospital.Usually it's done by the anesthesiologist in the OR outpatient dept. It's like an epidural they give when you are in labor. After you can move your legs you can head home. A lot of the time the Nerve blocks work.Sometimes not. Either way good luck.
    Pretty soon your boys will have their "old" mommy back!
    Lisa

• Paula_z5_IL
    16 years ago

My Son brought me some Peach salsa and some big vidalia onions from his summer vacation trip to Tennessee.
    Oh Man! I put some on our taco's last night and boy was it really good! Kind of sweet and spicy. Now I am addicted and am on a quest to find a Peach Salsa canning recipe. since..... it is Peach season here, yeah!
    I wish it would cool of here though, it has been in the triple digits and already 80 degrees by 7:30 am. sheesh!
    I think it is going to cool off a bit this week though so I can go and pick that peck of peaches! :)

• uptreasa
    16 years ago

Wow, Paula, that sounds yummy!!!!!!!!!!! Hope the weather gives you some relief. It has been a hot, dry summer for us in MI's UP too. We recently received some rain, for which we are grateful. Well, my July gift box came today. : ) I was so pleased looking inside. : ) My pal is so good to me. I sure appreciate all the goodies. She sent me a wonderful garden hat, complete with a decorative sunflower, the theme of my box. I have been wanting some of that sunflower garland. How did you know that??? hehehe I love tea, and there was a WHOLE box of Tension Tamer, one that is new to me. There was an assortment of seeds, including some sunflower seeds. I am so excited about all of them. Thank you!!! I grow sunflowers, and they are super here this year also. The seed packets were inside a very cool mesh purse! So cute!!! My pal always puts such loving touches to my box. I didn't recognize the fragrance, but there was a hint of something that was very nice. Wish I knew what it was. (hint) Oh, and those Twix were such a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM! Sure were good!! Thank you very much, pal. Hugs, Treasa : )

• julus_pahl
    16 years ago

Sorry I've been so bussy with my new jobs and battling the weeds and trying to harvest my blueberries before the slugs get them that I havn't been on in a while. Lillyrose I did get your package and it was wonderful. Homemade soap, some water gel tabs, a suncatcher just to name a few items in my box. Thank you! My persons July box will be going out today. They should recieve it soon! Sorry for the tardiness of getting it out! August will be sent much sooner.

• indyflower
    16 years ago

DAWN--Thank you..... I'm a newbie and didn't know we could send whatever we'd like!
    I have a few things ready to go, but I have to get the plants dug and in the box.

GGSNAIL---You're right about the heat here in the midwest being 'HOT', more 90+ days than ever before! Whenever we get some rain it comes with 'tornado watches'! What is an obelisk?

PAULA--GREAT SON...for bringing you "Peach Salsa" that's sounds delicious......'YUMMY' is right!
    If you find a recipe ....oh please share it with you GW pals, I would love to try some or try to make some.

JULUS_PAHL---Welcome back.......we miss ya!

EVERYONE---It's Great to see all the great gifts and plants being received! I haven't been in the garden much, it's either too hot or it's raining! I hope to do some gardening this weekend, it needs it and I miss it! My son flew back to Atlanta on Saturday we had a wonderful summer together.

• efrosty1
    16 years ago

hi, everyone, I hope you are starting your weekend off well. I wanted to post yesterday but I was unable to so I am this evening. we recently this week had a funeral for my daughter's great grandfather. things have been very sad around here lately.. I got a huge surprise from my secret pal.. it came the day after the services ---- to my surprise..

the owner of a local flower shop called me, asking for me by name if I was home. I said yes thinking--- it was more flowers from my family in fla. for the services. but he said they were for me.. I figured that he meant they were to be delivered to my house then I take them to the cemetery. but sure enough he came to my door in 15 minutes with a vase of wonderful red roses with a card with my name on it!! It said Happy Birthday Erica (my b-day this Saturday the 30th) I was so surprise I cried.
    1 --for such a thoughtful gift. I have never gotten flowers for my birthday before.. I was so touched..
    2nd--- my husband demanded to know if "my secret pal" was a girl or boy.. Lol

So to you secret pal you already made my day special and I thank you from the bottom of my heart....I had such a sad week, and you brighten it up just like you know I needed a friends.. Thank you. Hugs---- Erica
    {{gwi:1292030}}
    {{gwi:1292031}}
    {{gwi:1292032}}

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, that is just the SWEETEST thing ever! So thoughtful of your pal Erica! And having them delivered by your local florist like that--most of us aren't even in nearby states! I bet that truly did make your day.

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Efrosty. Here's a birthday card for you

{{gwi:25394}}

Maureen

• Paula_z5_IL
    16 years ago

"Happy Birthday to yoooou, Happy Birthday efrosty, Happy Birthday to yooooouuuu!"......"and many moooore" :)
    I just love the pictures of the flowers everyone is posting.

Efrosty: I love the picture of the kids are they yours? and the Nature picture of the bear too and such wonderful roses. How cool of your pal to do that.

Irish rose grower: I love the picture of the purple lobelia and the old watering can! and the pick flower, is that a kind of scented geranium? or what kind of flower is that?
    your guy's photo's sure brightens our page up. How do you post the pictures? What is the secret? Please share.....please :)

Okay I finally found the recipe to the peach salsa quest I was on. It is just in time for peach season here, mmmmmm
    Here it is for those that were interested.
    Peach Salsa

6 cups chopped peaches (about 3 pounds)
    3 large fresh tomatoes
    1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
    4 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    1 large sweet red or yellow pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
    1/2 cup white vinegar (or lime juice works really well instead of the white vinegar)
    2 tablespoons liquid honey
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon salt

1. Sterilize 8, 1/2 pint jars, then place upside down in a 325 F oven for about 15 minutes.
    2. Blanch peaches, cool in cold water, peel, pit and chop to measure 6 cups.
    3. Blanch tomatoes and cool with cold water, peel, remove seeds and cut into chunks.
    4. In a large stainless or enamel cooking pot, combine peaches, tomatoes, onion, Jalapeno peppers, sweet red or yellow pepper, cilantro, vinegar, honey, salt, garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper.
    5. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
    6. Adjust seasonings to taste.
    7. Add more cayenne pepper if you desire a spicier taste.
    8. Ladle salsa into hot jars to within 1/4 inch of top for headspace.
    9. Remove air bubbles by sliding a rubber spatula between the glass and salsa.
    10. Re-adjust the headspace to 1/4 inch.
    11. Wipe jar rim to remove any stickiness.
    12. Center lid on top of jar; apply screw band just until finger tight.
    13. Place jars in a hot bath in a canner and process for 15 minutes.
    14. Remove jars and place on a towel, then cover with another towel to cool slowly.
    15. Jars are sealed when the lids pop and are curved down, (concave).
    16. Label jars and store in a cool, dark place.
    17. NOTE: You can substitute and use 6 cups of fresh, chopped pineapple for a different flavor.

I don't see why mangoes could not be used, also.Be sure to use the full amount of vinegar. You may also use either lime or bottled lemon juice in place of the vinegar.

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love the watering can pic too. It's almost August already! I'll have to make a new thread soon.

• hummingbirddaisy
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Sweet Erica!
    You have my sympathies on your loss. Give Lindsay a big' ol hug for me.

Fear not secret pal, I am late, again, but your box is going to the PO in the morning. I have it all ready to go!
    I am blaming my tardiness on the heat this month! WOW!
    I have yet to receive my box as well, but it is understandable as this heat has hit everyone!

Blessings, Tina

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

HI Paula. The flower in the picture is a hollyhock. My first ones I grew from seed. I'm very excited to show them off ;)

Someone showed me the easiest way to post pictures. You have to open a free "photobucket" account. Go to photobucket.com and open a free account. Then you load your pictures. E-mail me after you do this and I will give you the rest of the directions. Or if you prefer I will e-mail you direct.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Happy August everyone. Secret pal, I'm really excited about sending you the August package. I'm going to get it out next weekend.

Maureen

• efrosty1
    16 years ago

thanks everyone for the birthday wishes and card...have a great week...erica

Sponsored
Premier Home Center
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Loudoun County's Full Scope Renovation & Remodeling Experts