SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxwindjammer_gw

I've Got Chills, They're Multiplyin'!!

pdxwindjammer
14 years ago

Okay, I couldn't help myself in the reference to that cheesy Grease song!

I bartered on craigslist and exchanged $20 in strabuck's gift certificates for some red wigglers about 6 weeks ago. I thought the people I got the worms from were a bit chintzy in how many they gave me.

I built my own worm bin, shredded newspaper and egg cartons and started feeding my squirm my kitchen scraps. I tried my best to just feed them a couple of times a week but I have an obsession with them and check on them almost daily to see how they are doing.

My wigglers seem to be incorporating all parts of my bin, including going for some of the top layers of newspaper. This seems to indicate that I am not dropping anything offensive to them in the bin because they are in all 4 corners and in the middle.

I noticed about a week ago that there were a LOT of little, tiny worms. I have been reading about cocoons but had no idea what to look for or how big these cocoons would be.

Today I googled for images of "red wiggler cocoons" and found some photos. Armed with this new info, I took a spoon and lifted out some of the castings. Lo and behold, I found several little cocoons in this tablespoon of castings so my guess is that they are throughout the bin!

I can't wait to start a second bin so I have more castings for my garden!

Does anyone else have an obsession with their worm bins or should I be seeking out a WA (worms anonymous) meeting? ;-)

Comments (8)