SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Thai mango varieties

Dar Sunset Zone 18
13 years ago

I noticed in another thread that Mango Kush was asking for a list of Thai variety names. I thought I might help start it. This is definitely not a complete list. And I compiled it from multiple Thai sites.

Falan (fah-lun) - "sky burst"

Maha Chanok (ma-haa chah-noke) - not a helicopter (chinook). This is named after Maha-Janaka of Buddhist Jataka tales and is pronounced Maha Chanok in Thai. Has a red blush on ripe

Nam Dok Mai (num doke my) - means "flower water" or nectar

Nam Dok Mai Si Thong (num doke my see tong) - "Gold-colored" version of above

Chok Anan (choke ah-nun) - means luck of Ananda or luck of infinity, probably someone's name

Thong Dam (tong dum) - "black gold"

Khiaw Sawoei (kiew sa-weuy) - "green eating"

Okrong (oak rohng) - I'm not sure how to translate this, but it could mean something like "chest canal"

Okrong Thong (oak rohng tong) - Golden Okrong

Okrong Phikun Thong (oak rong pee-goon tong) - Okrong that is like a "golden bakul flower"

Raed - also may be spelled rad, red, etc. it means rhinoceros

Yai Klam (yai glum) - Grandmother (Klam?)

Nang Klang Wan (nung klarn wun) - "matinee"

One site said this picture was Nam Dok Mai, another said it was Nang Klang Wan. I am not sure what it is but it's a nice picture...

Top row, left to right: Thong Dam, Nam Dok Mai

Bottom row, left to right: Nang Klang Wan, Khiaw Sawoei

Pictures were taken from various sites and are used her for the purpose of illustrating the difference in appearance of mango varieties. I tried my best to make sure the picture is of the mango variety listed.

Comments (23)