SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newoahuwormer

Harvesting VIA one bin in the other bin

newoahuwormer
16 years ago

I am procrastinating a harvest and the bin in another bin has me confused BECAUSE my first were from a workshop and they were mini-bins (like flower pots) and we put burlap and bedding on the bottom - supposedly to prevent escapes and burlap takes a long time to break down.

When I set up my 10-gallon plastic container I put some pvc scraps (so the holes wouldn't get compacted with cast/burlap which is what I saw in the mini-bins when I dumped them) then burlap then bedding and I dumped the 2 mini-bins in the rectangle container.

So I understand the theory of the wormies migrating up since that is where I'll be "feeding" - so this on top bin is TEMPORARY? And when I figured almost everyone moved (I know I'll have a mortality rate) THEN I start a new bin with holes on the bottom, burlap, bedding? I can't go much larger because I am in an apartment complex and I have them on the lanai and the bin fits perfectly!

And from what I've read in other posts - the yum yum bait to draw them up is melon scraps? Should I do my usual chop & pulverize or offer a few small rinds too?

Should I have a small layer of food, cast & bedding so I can see if my worms have migrated? And if that is the plan - won't it stink? I guess I can put a light layer of bedding and not get carried away and fill up the "new" bin. And how long would the migration take? A couple months?

I'm doing this to reduce household waste and for cast for my assorted potted plants. . . the good thing about the mini-bins was I could really see my POPULATION. I know I have assorted sizes in the 10-gallon so I must be doing something right.

Thank you Thank you!

My non-worm friends tease and call me Whoa Nelly but I can be Worm Nelly here!

Comments (8)