SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Hard Water and Tropical Fruit Trees

swrancher
14 years ago

I live out in the country and have a deepwater well on my property for water. Our well water is hard and leaves scale. Last winter I noticed when I watered certain trees the leaf tips were slowly becoming burnt and the leaves seemed to be turning a lighter shade. Then spring came with lots of rain and the trees all got better and turned a nice deep green and got lots of new healthy growth.

I honestly forgot about the problem until a few weeks ago when I started watering some newer trees every few days to help them adjust to planting in my yard. Well guess what, same issue... noticed the trees turning a lighter green so stopped watering them with the well water. The other day we had a few inches of rainfall and that seems to have really helped things out.

My solution to the hard water problem was to get a large 60 gallon rain barrel to catch the rainwater for my trees during the dry winter weather. Just finished installing it today, hopefully it rains soon.

Anyway here's a rundown how my trees reacted to hard water hopefully this helps someone else figure out a similar problem.

I noticed the following trees really do not like hard water and show it by brown burnt leaf tips and lighter green color.

Mango

Avocado

Ackee

Sugar Apple

These seem to do fine with hard water.

Sapodilla

Bananas

Tamarind

Does anyone have any other type of tree's to add to either list?

Comments (2)