SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpc57

Keeping birds out of tomato garden

jpc57
11 years ago

I love birds, which is a good thing since I live on 3 acres in the country! There are more kinds of birds than I can count and love their songs.

But what I don't love is that they sit on the tomato stakes in the garden and crap all over the plants. Two of my favorite tomato plants (Black Krim) have been killed by bird poop. want to get this figured out before more plants die, and before the tomatoes are covered in poop.

So far I've tried nail a nail in the top of each stake and that worked for a day and they came back. Then I tied lengths of colorful ribbon from the nails and again, it worked for one day and they came back.

I have not done the tin pie plate thing because I have nearly 70 tomato stakes out there and do not want to go to that expense for something to throw away later and I'm not convinced would work.

The garden beds are in full sun but there are cherry and pear trees nearby that they're welcome to, and there's a pine not far from the garden, and there is a meadow nearby and lots of woods at the back of the property. Any ideas for a humane way to keep the birds from my tomato gardens? Thanks!

Comments (16)