SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rozj_gw

Worm Farm Questions

rozj
11 years ago

I was given my Christmas present early (in November :P). I got a three tier Worm Cafe (tumbleweed), a blanket and, a box of 500 worms. I set it up straight away and let the worms settle in the coconut fibre bedding for a few days before starting to add my kitchen scraps. My worm cafe lives outside in shade.
Overall everything is going well. I flush it out with a few litres of water once a week and collect and dilute the tea for my garden and it keeps the tray damp for the rest of the week. They seem efficient enough but I do want to get more worms.

I have a few questions though. I have put ice cream containers under each leg and fill them with water daily and yet I still seem to get ants in there. Not many at all but they're annoying me. I don't know if they're helping or hindering or if the worms are ok with them being in there. What else can I do to get rid of them or should I even bother?

I've noticed little black egg pods about the size of a pea but oval in shape. The ones I've found have all hatched so I'm not sure what has come out of them. Any ideas? Are they good or bad?

I also have quite a few tiny white mites in there. Once again, should I be getting rid of them or not worrying about them?

Lastly, I'm almost up to setting up my second tray. I'm thinking of using shredded newspaper and some of my dogs' fur mixed with the hessian they shake off their bed when getting comfortable. Should I also add some of the castings from the previous tray or some organic dirt? Or will the bedding mentioned and kitchen scraps be enough under the blanket to attract the worms to the second tray?

Looking forward to your replies! Thank you!

Comments (22)