SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaoticdreams

Plant looks yellow and hollow

Chaoticdreams
10 years ago

I'm a first time gardener that got a bug up her butt this year for some unfathomable reason. Really...... I am not an outdoors person at all. It started with a trio of bare root roses my husband bought me in March and quickly expanded to a huge raised bed garden with squash, cucumbers, and watermelon.

And tomatoes in big giant smart pots.

I don't even like tomatoes...... But that's a whole 'nother issue.

I have four better boy tomato plants that I planted at the beginning of April after what counts as frost for my area, LOL. They have become huge and I've started calling them my mutant plant babies. All four have little green maters on them already and three of them, save for some bug and Fl heat issues, look very healthy and happy. One however isn't green at all, is kinda yellowish, and doesn't have barely any of the leafy foliage the others have. It's very sparse and the leaves it does have look puny. In fact, unlike the other three, I can see the fence easily on the other side through the stems. It does however have green fruit on it that look pretty darn good.

What did I do wrong with it? It's in the biggest pot too, a 20 gallon while the other three are in 10 gallons. The heat really evaporates the water in the smart pots here quite fast, so I water every morning before work, at lunch if they look dry, and in the evening if they have dried out again. I try not to soak the foliage and focus on just the smart pots and soil in the afternoon and evening. Am I over watering? underwatering??? We're going to get a sprinkler this weekend with a timer to get a better handle on the watering issue. Is it a fertilizer issue? I used Jobes tomato fertilizer when I planted and have watered with fish emulsion/seaweed stuff a couple of times since for everything in my small garden. Should I add more Jobes or try something different?

As mentioned, I am not an outdoorsy person. However, I have found I am LOVING gardening. I'm spending at least an hour every day just watering and babying my plants. My squash plants are awesome,minus some pollination issues. (Wow, have the bees just vanished.) The little tiny watermelons coming up look so cute. Am I willing to get my hands dirty to fix my maters that I've already promised out to my co-workers and friends? ABSOLUTELY.

It's hot here and it's not even June. I dread our summer this year and will also be getting some shade cloth likely soon. Next year we will be in our new house lord willing and everything can go in the ground! Any help would be appreciated, I'm new at this :) I'll post some pics when I go home for lunch to give a better example of what I am talking about.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH