SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

A pleasant surprise!

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

I know it has been a while since I actually posted anything here but now I have a good reason. The temps in western NY have been quite unusual lately. I actually have most of my tropical fruits outdoors right now. Temps have been in the mid 60;s and night time temps in the low 50's.

Anyhow, my Maha Chinook(bought from Frankies 2 years ago) mango is going thru it's 3rd growth flush for the year. I have been optimistic in hoping that it would bloom and fruit some day. When I got my tree, I didn't know that Frankies had such a hard time with getting there's to bloom and fruit.

A few days ago, I was checking out all the new growth flushes. I spotted what I thought was just another branch coming on but it actually was a tiny inflo! Within 2 or 3 days it had dropped. I suspect that my HPS chord had hit it and snapped it off....you can bet I was swearing! The tree itself is now over 3ft tall, with this growth flush, I bet it will end up being closer than 4ft.

My Carrie that I bought from Plantogram last winter is also going thru a growth flush. I found that this variety is a VERY slow grower for me. I pruned back both mango varieties around mid August and within a few weeks the Maha started growing. The Carrie however just stalled out but now I also have a nice big inflo on it.

I need to be able to spray both trees with a 3 in 1 insecticidal soap. I wanted to get opinions from the mango enthusiasts here first before I go ahead and spray.

Will this spray hurt the developing leaves, branches, and inflos?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments (11)