SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s_hamptongardener

Recomendations for climbing edible vines in Tidewater

s.hamptongardener
13 years ago

Hi!

I know this forum hasn't been too active recently, but I need some local advice. I have an arbor that needs some shade. Does anyone have a recommendation on a grape that does well in Tidewater without too much hassle? I don't want to bag clusters and have to spray several times in the summer.

Or anyone tried a kiwi? I'm looking for edible, fast growing for shade, and disease resistant.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• taxonomist
    13 years ago

Unless you require a frost-resistant plant, I would strongly recommend Malabar Spinach. This rascal has large,very tasty leaves which may be used like spinach. It grow like mad and is very decorative upon arbors, pergolas, or fences. I have a good supply of seeds if you need some.

• s.hamptongardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds interesting. I might give it a try this summer. Are you in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads Area?

• veggie_pak
    13 years ago

Hopefully, the activity on this forum will pick up. We need a common site for questions about gardening in this area.
    Thanks,
    veggie_pak

• s.hamptongardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree. I'm pretty confused as to when to plant things in my region. I probably need to follow our most famous VA gardener advice (Thomas Jefferson) and keep a detailed notebook but I'm way too lazy for that!

Here's to more activity!

• taxonomist
    13 years ago

To s hamptongardner: I am in the richmond area and enjoy a somewhat diverse collection of plants. And to answer your query, I have a large supply of Malabar Spinach seeds. If you would like to try some next summer, please e-mail me at hanoverrose@verizon.net

• bobbic
    13 years ago

I second the recommendation of malabar spinach. The red vines more than the green :) It's actually a tropical plant, so it's one to plant in the spring and it'll produce until frost. I just pulled mine out Saturday.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Wow. That malabar spinach looks like a really useful plant. I'm thinking topiary ...
    The nutrition is more like lettuce than spinach. I wonder what the deer would think. They may trim it for me.

• bobbic
    13 years ago

The deer didn't bother my malibar, but it was right beside my house.

Another recommendation, if you're looking for grapes, is muscadines. We went to a presentation by Edible Landscaping at the Heritage Harvest Festival and the presenter said that muscadines are the only grapes you can grow around here without spraying. They're more like little plums than grapes, but they're really yummy! Unfortunately the only way to assure flavor is by growing cuttings because the seeds aren't 'true'. Lowe's has vines in green and purple right now for $13, and Edible Landscaping carries them too.

Sponsored