SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbgrow

Color RED Seed Swap

greenthumbgrow
14 years ago

Hi Everyone.... RED Flowers are my Favorites, and I am very excited to be your host.

This is the August color swap, featuring the color RED!

{{gwi:1289062}}

You may include seeds that contains anything RED, whether it is a flower, foliage, fruit, vegetable, herb, or whatever is related to RED!

You may send edible and non-edible seeds.

(Please specify what you would like back: edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both)

I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in!

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds!!!!

Please send seeds no older than 2 years old.

Please include on the packet: label, the seed's name, a little blurb about it,and whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected.

The limit for all of the color swaps has been 10 packs so far. But please feel free to send in some extras.

I can only promise that you will recieve the sending limit of 10 packs back, but I will try to send back extras to the people who sent in extras to be fair.

You can send in as little as 1 pack of seeds, there is no minimum to send in.

Please send in the number of seeds that you would be comfortable recieving yourself depending on the variety.

Please send only 1 pack per variety (for example, don't send in 7 packs of Coreopsis)! Again, you may send more than one pack of a certain variety, but please know that they will be counted as "extras". So each variety will be counted as one trade.

Signup Deadline: August 7th

Seeds Need to Arrive by: 14th

Mailed back by: August 21st

When you sign up,

please send me an e-mail with your

name,

address,

garden web name,

and e-mail address.

And I will reply back to you with my mailing address.

REMEMBER:

Use a bubble envelope (which will be used to mail back your new seeds)

mailing label with your address on it

Stamps equal to what you sent plus one not attached in case an extra stamp is needed (if the extra stamp is not needed, I will put it in your return envelope).

A list of what you sent in (so you don't get those seeds back)

Please Let me know if I forgot anything :-)

Tammy

AKA - Greenthumbgrow

Comments (78)

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Tammy,
    Red anything turns me on so count me in! Make it easy on yourself...surprise me. I will enjoy anything you send!!
    I will send off an email to you in a few minutes...let me know if you do not receive!!

Thanks for hosting!

Annie

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So glad everyone is having fun with the red swap.

I was wondering about Kamil myself. I hope he is alright also because he was always on here. I do know he lost his computer toward the end there and was only able to get on when he was at the library. He may just not have access to a pc right now. let me know if anyone hears anything.

Will post the signup list later tonight:-)

Tammy

• Related Discussions

seed swap/seeds to share

Q

Comments (1)
    Here is a link to the Exchanges forum. Please post there. Thanks. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Seeds Exchange
    ...See More

Seed Swap Seeds

Q

Comments (8)
    I know it is quite legal to swap seeds one to one in the same country but are there laws reguarding sending seeds across the world? I have a friend who lives in Spain and he visits England (LONDON)quite alot but he will not take my lupin seeds back to Spain with him because he fears he will get into trouble if they are found on him? So experts "is it illegal to send seeds abroard and if that is the case what about sending Lavender samples abroad I have promised a member of this site some Elizabethian Lavender which I have grown and dried in this couintry would it be against the law to send it By Airmail to good old United States of America?
    ...See More

HAVE: Red Sweet William seeds and want other colors

Q

Comments (2)
    Elaine, I have pink, white, and a pink/white all mixed together. I'd love some of your red. I can send you the seeds in a bubble envelope or we can trade at any of the fall swaps/green elephant. -- Jacqueline
    ...See More

Naga Morich Seeds From Bangladesh up for swap! 2000 Seeds!

Q

Comments (8)
    Letting you all know that I am obtaining some nice quantities of seed for the Following Assam Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, Trinidad 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion and the rare Malaysian Habanero Goronong. Contact me through my website and I will send you a word doc that will give you all the information. I am paying quite a bit to get pure seeds but may re-sell to make a little profit. Yes my seed is from overseas and just let me point out that all overseas seed can be confiscated if you do not have the necessary customs paperwork. So I am taking that risk until I get paperwork done which takes forever. Now heres other good news. I will be selling some plants. You do know these plants do not germinate well. So think about plants as an option to seed. Also I have the ability to create plants from cuttings. So as long as I get a few going I will have plants. Now if you are willing to wait I will have fresh chiles too. Then you can just take out your own seeds. So you can buy seeds from fatalii.net or UKchile seeds and take a risk or let me take the risk for you. By the way Reimers seeds resells for UK and I will not charge what they charge. You can contact me at jpdherb@cox.net or go to my site. God Bless! Jim Here is a link that might be useful: Refining Fire Chiles
    ...See More
  • jaynine
    14 years ago

Please sign me up--I have tons of 'reds', including quite a few from the lists posted so far.

My wish list:
    Beta vulgaris 'Saccherifera'-Sugar Beet
    Penstemon hartwegii 'Scarlet Queen'
    Zinnia 'Profusian Fire'
    Tithonia rotundifolia 'RED Torch'-Mexican Sunflower
    Red Mexican bean/any red bean
    Tomatoes Giant Belgium, Mama Leone, Cow's Tit, Rio Grande/any other large red
    Peppers Marconi Rosso, Peperoncini, Sheepnose Pimento, Corno di Toro Rosso
    Red Wave petunia
    Red pansies or violas
    Mahogany Midget coreopsis
    Clethra alnifolia 'Ruby Spice'-Sweet Pepperbush
    Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Fire King'-Sweet Scabious
    Silene Lacinata 'Jack Flash'!!

Thanks!

• seedyrum
    14 years ago

count me in too please

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I did not officially join this swap, but I got an email with the address. That's all the encouragement I need. I saw a couple of wishes I can fulfill.
    Here are a couple of things I am looking for that happen to be red, at least sometimes.
    Ipomopsis rubra
    Ipomopsis aggregata
    Thanks, Alana

• carroteggs
    14 years ago

I'm in! My seeds are ready to go! :)

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy and everyone, how are you?
    It's been a while I joined a RR swap --hosted by Fran---Hi Fran- Queen of RR, smile, great seeing you here, hope you're feeling well/ better. This looks like another fun swap.
    Don't we all need more red-most popular color?

Went thru my yard earlier, here is what's blooming red now:

Sunflower -ab 5 in
    Zinnia- dble, looks like Benary's
    Zinnia- double, think "Peppermint" except unsure if this is their pattern --some flowers are yellow with red stripes and some solid red with the above... on the same plant
    Salvia Coccinea "Lady in Red" , strong to withstand this weather, attracts hummers and butterflies,love the way it keeps flowering ...after cutting it down some ( Salvia Splendens has only few blooms left)
    Jalapeno peppers
    Mini Bell Peppers
    Orn peppers -few kinds
    Pentas- keep deadheading 'em but will save a few for seed, might take a while

I'd love seeds of these easy to grow plants, they'll bloom this year if planted soon, in my zone 9 ( near New Orleans)

Zinnia- "Big Red" Zinnia -small ball/ Thumbelina
    Zinnia Swizzle " Cherry and Ivory"
    Cosmos -Tetra Versailles Red
    JMG- large red, red and white
    Sunflower " The Joker", any large red

I've got an ugly backyard to cover now that landlord finally cut the big tree. Any suggestions on plants and vines that are fast growing, aside Cypress vine and MGs?

Forgot all about introduction with the trading on my mind, lol
    Hi, in short now, more eventually as I can go at length once we start communicating.
    I'm most and first of all, always a mom and graanie Bea- 3 grown children, 2 grandsons ( including a step-grandson ) and 3 kitties who are at times helping me navigate to the sites unknown. lol

Have fun and a good day,

Bea

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome Bea! OK everyone I sent out my addy to everyone. If you did not get it please send me another email somehow I may have missed your :-) If you don't get it in the next day or two after you send the email post on here in case there is an issue with your email getting through. I will check my junk regularly as most of them go there from GW for some reason.

PLEASE let me know if you still need my addy.

Tammy:-)

• amybabyboy3
    14 years ago

TAMMY,
    I STILL NEED YOUR ADDRESS. THANKS, AMY

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Seeds are in the mail!
    :)

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy, thank you.

Sending you email so you can reply faster and send me address so I can get my seeds in the mail, thank you.

Vegetables, like tomatoes and peppers...count too? Think so, just want to be sure.

Bea

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes bea veggies count.

If anyone labels any of the seeds for someones from their list and duplicates are sent In for one person on the same seed I will send one pack so that the others are not short on their return number. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows this up front.

DONT forgot to add in your mailing envy....

1 - return postage
    2 - LIST of requests you posted on here

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Just sent in my seeds, almost all from my recent gatherings, oooops didnt include postage, wanted to send you more in a few days anyway, salvia and zinnia, mostly..and 3 stamps, should it be enough?

thanks,
    Bea

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Tammy,

Just popped my "red seeds" in the mail box...I did not send a list of any wants or wishes.................I am cool with whatever you send me!!

Thanks so much!

Annie

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Tammy, my seeds are ready to go into the mail as soon as I get to work today. I included a list of what I sent, but didn't make out a wishlist because I'm good with whatever you send too. When you get the envie, just remove your address (it's taped on) and mine is underneath, on the envelope.
    Have a great day everyone!
    -Dan

• babcia
    14 years ago

Fantastic! I'd love to participate.

Ever since I saw the "Red Bed" from "gottagarden" I have been obsessed with doing my own. Each year it gets a little better and I am looking forward to adding to my collection.

Thanks for hosting this.

I'd be interested in:

rudbeckia - cherry brandy
    Clethra alnifolia 'Ruby Spice'-Sweet Pepperbush
    Ipomopsis Rubra
    Zinnia (any red)

Cathy

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Few minutes ago, after opening the door, I saw a hummingbird on the Red Salvia, another one zoomed in on it and chased it away. Then I opened the back window, hummer was on the pink Salvia...they are so cuuuuute.

I can't think right now of any amusing/ funny stories involving color RED, imagine some do?

GB
    Bea

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy,

Please sign me up for this swap. I would like to receive any type of RED flowers. The only edibles I would be interested in right now would be radish seeds like French Breakfast or Watermelon.

Thanks for coordinating this swap! - Lisa

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Bea, the only story about the color red I have, is that the first summer after we moved into our new house, we had a dirt yard, and hummingbirds kept flying into the garage. We finally figured out it was the red handle on the garage door pull. My husband covered it with black electrical tape, so that one wouldn't get stuck in the garage. Now they visit the garden every day during the summer. Their favorite plants are the penstemons and agastache.

Tammy, my seeds went out this morning.

Bonnie

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Tammy, my seed package is on the way. I included everything including a wish list BUT those would be my most wanted and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to gets and I don't expect them to show up so whatever you send as long as it is red will be ok with me OHHHHH, except any of the RED Nasturtium I would LOVE to get those! Very pretty lol.

I included enough postage so if there happens to be an extra stamp go ahead and keep it for your time, don't worry about sending it back to me!!!

:) Fran

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Bonnie, good hummers flew off the handle, laugh.

Off to watch Talents,

Bea

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Good morning all, not in a hurry so can stop to think a little more.
    Amazing little gems those hummers, something how they got attracted to the red handle and Bonnie--good idea your hubby covered the handle. I wondered lately if hummers here had started a nest, as each year, in the big tree which is now gone, oh well, they'll just need to fly a few more feet to another tree, what's it to them...just think how they endure a long migration flight over Gulf of Mexico and all. Deserve a nice treatment here, Monarch butterflies too, try growing lots of red for them as well.
    Like I wrote in a note with my seeds to you Tammy, I'd be happy with a few of my wishy/wanty seed choices, smile.
    Just Cosmos Tetra Versailles red and large Red or even better Red and white JMGlory would do.

great day to all,

Bea

• katmatney
    14 years ago

Tammy
    I have not received an email with your address to mail out my seeds. I have them packaged and ready to go. I will try to send an email again, just hoping that you read this as well and shoot me an email with the address to send out my package. I am so excited to be able to participate.
    Thanks
    Kathy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok. I have sent everyone the email again if you didn't get it. Please let me know if anyone still don't got it.

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Tammy,

My seeds are ready to mail when I go to town tomorrow. Hope the PO is open then.
    There is a wish list in the package. Also one here today. Also my trade list is up to date.

Wish List:
    Holly Hock any reds
    Coreopsis
    Gaillardia
    Lobelia
    Rudbeckia
    Cosmos I listed no annuals but cosmos is fine.
    This is so much fun..THANKS....

Sharon

• barefootgardner12
    14 years ago

I'd like to join. I have seeds almost ready to go!

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I mailed my seeds this morning. Please keep any left over postage.
    Thanks, Alana

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone... Just checking in.

Here is the list of envies I recieved today:

Bonnie
    Becky
    Dan
    Donald
    Fran
    Bea
    Ann

Will let you know as the rest come in.

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Hi. I'd like to join this swap too! I just about forgot to sign up so I hope I'm not too late.

There are A LOT of Red seeds that I would love, both veggies and flowers.

Here's a few of my most wanted:

-Red Beans (Chinese Red Noodle Bean, Borlotto Lingua Di Fuoco Bean (Tongue of Fire), Red Calypso Bean, Christmas Lima, any other red bean)
    -Hmong Red Cucumber
    -Red Carrots
    -Red Lettuce or other Red Greens (Speckled Trout, Mascara, Red Deer Tongue, Redbor Kale, Ruby Streaks Mustard, any others)
    -Red Peppers (sweet or hot such as Buran, Boldog Paprika, Kung Pao, Tolli's Sweet Italian)
    -Red Tomatoes (Big Zac, Brandywine (Sudduth's Strain), German Red Strawberry, Goose Creek, Italian Tree, Marianna's Peace, Momotaro, Neves Azorean Red, Pantano Romanesco, Soldacki, Sweet Pea Currant, Thessaloniki)
    -Winter Squash (Red Kuri, Red Warty Thing, Sunshine Kabocha)

-Himalayan Celosia
    -Giant Red/Burgundy Cockscomb
    -Great Scarlet Poppy (Papaver bracteatum) or Tall Perennial Red Oriental Poppy
    -Red or Red-Striped Sweet Peas (such as "America"or "Lipstick")
    -Poker Primrose (Primula viallii)
    -Benary's Giant Red Zinnias
    -Morning Glory "Sunrise Serenade"
    -Rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy"
    -Red Sunflowers (any)

Okay, that's more than a few. LOL.

Tammy, thanks for hosting this swap.

Penny

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Great wishlist, Penny! I had to look up those Hmong Red cucumbers, never heard of that one before. Tammy, you can add that one to my wishlist too, LOL. BTW, I think I may have sent in a couple things that are on your list, Penny : )

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    Sent my envy out Friday morning.

Cindy : )

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Hey Y'all! I wanted to take a moment and invite you to take part in a perennial exchange I'm hosting. The link to it is below, and you're all welcome to stop by and join in! Have a great day!
    -Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: End-of-Summer Perennial Exchange Spectacular

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

seeds are gone!

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Seeds were put in the mail today. I had a lot of red seeds so there are lots of "extras."

Penny

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK.. We have some more seeds that came in ...

cindys
    alana
    Sharon

Yeah!

(I notice we are getting a lot of the same seeds. There is a lot of RED FLAX - Anyone interested in a couple packs??)

I will list a couple more if there are excessive amounts so that I can make sure they will get used.

Tammy

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I don't have any red flax at all...(didn't know there was red flax)..."raising hand"

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Me too. I would love some red flax!
    Alana

• graanieb
    14 years ago

I'd love the red flax and anything easily grown, especially if it reseeds , thank you.
    Bea

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Seeds are in the mail!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well that was wonderful! I wasn't sure who to send it too so that makes up my mind on that one. LOL. If I am not sure on some others I will post so keep an eye out!

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Tammy, you know I am really ok with anything you send me back. I would even take some of the flax seeds, although I have some, you know you can always through some in a large area needing to be filled LOL.

So whatever you need to send me back is fine.

:) Fran

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

I only have blue flax. Red would be WONDERFUL!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

just checking in to see what's going on.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I was just wondering about that myself, Jaynine! Tammy, have all of the envelopes arrived, or are there some still on their way?

Inquiring (re: nosey) minds want to know, LOL!

Bonnie

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a fyi for inquiring minds. LOL...

I have to check all the envies that came in on saturday. It has been a busy busy couple days. I will have them sorted and ready to mail by end of week:-)

I will make a list of all the envies recieved tommorrow and post them just so I keep track of making sure none are missing.

thanks,
    Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just an update.... I am sorting and packing right now:-)

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

how cool is that? yay!!! more seeds to look for in the mail! this is sooo exciting!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK. everyone the envies are all sorted and will be mailed out first thing monday.

A big thanks to all the ones that sent me seeds off my wish list. THANKS!

Also a thanks to Alana and Jaynie for the extras you sent in. It will help the ones that only sent 2 or 3 seed packets get back some nice seeds.

I am happy to say I got to fill a LOT of requests from the lists. There were one or two harder folks that I didn't get much off their list but I tried my best to find some things I thought you would enjoy. I truely hope everyone enjoys the seeds I have selected for each of you.

Tammy :-)

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ahhhh... i forgot to mail out the envies. I am sooo sorry. I had Danaes first day of school today and was sooo busy trying to NOT forget anything that I forgot a biggie. errrr ok well I laided them on the island in the kitchen and they will most def. be on the way tomorrow. I soooo sorry

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok everyone the envies went out earily this morning so you should have by friday in time for weekend sowing.

:-)

Tammy

....Now the wait begins....