SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murahilin_gw

My New Pineapples

murahilin
14 years ago

These are some new pineapple seedlings I grew plus some tissue cultures I received. I now have about 15 different named cultivars of pineapple.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: My New Pineapples

Lots of patience my friend. The tissue culture ones look a little freakish in that medium.

Wow! That's impressive! I can't even begin to think of where you would be able to buy those. Bravo! I bet you will have aton of pineapple to eat by the looks of those tubes!

Jay,
I'm lookin at atleast 3 years before I get to try these. The three I am growing from tissue cultures that I got last year are only about 7-8inches. Hopefully it picks up pace. I'm also getting ready to practice micropropagation. So maybe ill be able to tissue culture some pineapples on my own one day.

andrew,
you can get the pineapples for free through the USDA or you can buy tissue cultured varieties off ebay. They buy them in like a 72 cell from agristarts then resells them individually as they get bigger.

please explain the free USDA thing?

• Posted by: dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on Fri, Oct 23, 09 at 15:54

I've gotten several that way, I have about 18 varieties of the world's top types. I love my pinas. If I don't get a freeze, I'm hoping to have a 7 or 8 lb'er next year, had them up to 6 1/2 lbs so far.

Gary

i have a good time with them as well. i have 3 or four full size fruits right now but i would say they are probably 3 lbs or so maybe 4. i dont know what kind is what because ive lost track of where i got them all. im not sure but i think i have 60 or 70 going right now. i need to remove all the pups and slips soon from the ones that fruited this summer. i would like to figure out how to get my hands on 100 or so tops but havent been able to find a source. any tips?

j-grow,
You can order germplasm for almost any plant that the USDA has in its collections. It has a very large pineapple collection and if you request the germplasm it sends it as a tissue culture. I included the link to the USDA for you. I am not sure where to find 100 tops. Have you tried posting an ad on craigslist in your area?

Gary,
I can only hope to get pineapples as large as yours one day. Mine never seem to get past 5 pounds or so. What new ones have you gotten from the USDA? I mainly got ones that were different colours. I read about one from Brazil that was supposed to be 15kg or so but I cant seem to find any other reference to it anywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

I went to USDA website but could not find the pineapple any where. Not that it really matters, I have one pineapple right now, and really can't afford the space, but just curios to see what they have.
Andrew

• Posted by: dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 19:34

Murahlin, My last order a couple years ago was Abacaxi, Antigua and Black Antigua. I think I lost one var from the freeze last year, either Pernambuco or Monserrat, will need to check. If you find that big one and it's supposed to be excellent, and you can get a couple extra, let me know. I'd love one like that. The key to huge fruit is planting in heavy, heavy organic matter. My plants are big and beefy.

Jgrow, if you're near brevard, I'd sell you a bunch of slips which are better than tops. I've had some slips flower in 5 months, which is unheard of, supposed to be 18 months.

Gary

hey gary im in merritt island. ya how much for the slips? and how many do you have?

slips? what does that really mean. aren't pineapples propagated/grown from the tops. please excuse my obvious lack of knowledge to this subject. was looking around GW and this post caught my eye.

also, are there grafted versions that i can actually grow indoors. thanks

Murahilin,
Where do I get the free plants on the usda website?
Andrew

the mother plant will have slips and shoots sprout from the ground and in between the "leafs?" at the end of the fruit development and after the fruit is picked. you can remove them from the mother and start over. i have one right now that has six on it plus the top that came off the fruit.

• Posted by: dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 22:27

The sprouts from the ground are usually called suckers, plantlets which pop out from below the fruit are slips. Normally a slip takes 18 months to fruit, a top around 30 months. Either are perfect vegetative propagations.

Jgrow, I imagine I have around 30 available, maybe more. If you buy 30 or more I'll sell them for $1 each assuming you're picking them up.

Gary

Dghays,
I would like a few Black Antiqua. I could send a check for shipping and plant cost. Hhausermann sent me some fungicide and it only cost $4.95. Let me know. Thank you.
Andrew

• Posted by: dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 8:45

Andrew: Since I got the Black Antigua a couple years ago from tissue culture, and slips usually reach size after fruit, it will still probably be a couple years til I have extra plant material from it. My most available pineapple material is the 'smooth cayenne', which while not so exotic, still tastes fantastic picked ripe. Most people I sell to say it was the best pineapple they ever ate, but that's because, like most people, they eat store bought. Nevertheless, the best of the other varieties so far have only tasted a bit better than them, not way better, but I have around a dozen more types I'm growing still to taste.

Gary

Gary,
Considering that I live in New York the only pineapple that I get here are the plain ol store variety or the Hawaiin Gold which is my favorite. I got to try this right from Hawaii. My parents brought three home and on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 20! Now considering where you live you probobly would not agree with me. I would love some 'Smooth Cayenne' if you are willing to sell a couple(maybe three?). I love pineapple and they are so easy to start from the tops. I have a Gold right now that has been growing for a few years now. I could have had fruit a year and a half ago but I was lazy and did not repot it when I should have. The good thing though was because it could not produce a bud, it produced a sucker which is pretty big now. I am pretty sure this summer it will fruit. I know I could have forced it with a cut apple but I wasnt it to produce only when it is ready. What is your opinion of the 'Smooth Cayenne'? I also wanted to know if you could tell me where on the USDA site do I find the free pineapple plants. Thanks so uch Gary. I love pineapple, and I love even more the ease of culture. Looking forward to another great tropical fruit buddy that I can compare notes with!!
Andrew
I also tried some pineapple in Puerto Rico. Thy were pretty good but when I got them they were dead ripe and I didn't eat them right away so I had to cut out a lot of the rotten flesh.

• Posted by: dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 16:15

Andrew, google stuff like ars grin germplasm Hilo (that collection is in Hilo, HI) to find the website. A smooth cayenne is excellent, but not considered one of the best. The best I had so far was a Cheese Pine, but it was only a bit better. What usually comes from a grocery store is an MD-2 (like Dole extra sweet), which is an excellent pineapple, bred from Cayenne and others in the mid 90's. I have one var from Puerto Rico called Rascana, which I can't find anything about. MD-2 is superior to SC, so those should be great for you.

Gary

Gary,
I tried to get cheese pine but it wasnt available at the time. What characteristics do you think make it better? When do you think you'll have cheese pine material available? I would love to be able to trade something for it.

• Posted by: dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 11:39

Murahlin, I'll have to look at my cheese pine. I might have two or more now. It was a small fruit, the taste was milder, practically no core, but the taste I found the best of all I've had. Hard to describe why flavor wise, delicate and wonderful. Remind me with an email if you get the chance to remind me to look. I expect next year a few more of my exotic varieties to produce a fruit, so I hope.

Gary

gary do you have to keep the different varieties seperate? is cross polination a concern of keeping them true?

• Posted by: dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 14:05

jgrow, no pollination issues unless you harvested the little seeds that can occur on the outside edge of the fruit. They are pretty hard to find. Otherwise it is all vegetative propagation, so exact duplicates of each other.

Gary

I am looking at USDA website, and drolling over all the varieties!
But on the order form it says you have to be part of an organization and you have to be doing research or for educational purposes.... what did you guys write to get these things for home use?
How many did you order at one time?
Thanks

It says somewhere on the Hilo website that hobbyists can order also but only when the material is not commercially available. I usually just put n/a on the field for organization. I've ordered twice and the most i've ordered at one time was 10 different varieties and I only got 7. They said at the moment they did not have any available material of the 3 other cultivars I selected at that time. Any idea which ones youre going to request? I got a few that were supposed to be pretty good and then I selected a few that were really colourful.

Thanks for the info- I will give it a try.
I am looking at a lot of them! Anything with High Brix, low acid. So top on my list are Cheesepine, CB30, Dacca, Tabago, Trinidad, Maritus, Den,Hana 21, Prazers. I also want the Black Antigua since I loved them when I went to Antigua!

Cheesepine was one of the ones they didnt have available last time I ordered. Maybe they will have it available by now. The rest of your choices sound pretty good. Between you, me and Gary we'll have the entire collection in a few years!

Thanks for the info. I ordered some a couple weeks ago and got an e-mail that they should be arriving today!! I just put that I was doing research to find the rate of growth for backyard culture. The faster it grows the faster I eat!!!
I'll post pics when I get them today!
Thanks, Mike

As promised I have added photos!!
I received: Monte Lirio, Cowboy, Amalsad, Cayenne Lanai, Cayenne Hilo, Annanas Merah, 58-1184
Thanks murahilin for the info on this site!

No problem. Those plants look very nice. Did you plant them out already? I made the mistake and waited two weeks before I planted out my last set and there was some rot. They all have survived thus far but I think they would have established faster not for the rot. Also, be careful when removing them from the test tubes. The first time I pulled on one and the leave popped off. Now I stick something down the tube to break up the agar before I pull on the plant.

I think I might try tissue culturing myself one day. They sell tissue culture kits available online. Anyone in the forum ever try to micropropagate plants?

Hey, I use to buy orchids like this and grow them and killed a lot too. I also just completed a propagation class at PBCC. If you have a class like this available or if you live in the area I recommend taking it. I took this class at the Palm Beach Gardens Campus over the summer. Very good info, all hands on. They also let you go to the college and use the flow hoods any time you want.

I might check out that class next summer if its available. It sounds pretty interesting.

Hey-
Just as a heads up, Cheese Pine is currently available.

I have to get my import license, since they can't ship them here:-(

That sucks. Do you have the license already? Its pretty easy to get if you don't have it. It's odd how they require the permit to import things into PR but not to import from PR to the US. I've gotten budwood from the USDA in PR no problem. Maybe because its an island they have stricter requirements on what comes in?

• Posted by: hmhausman FL 10B (hmhausman@aol.com) on Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 17:08

Has anyone tasted this Cheese Pine? The name doesn't do anything for me. What is the attraction? I only want to obscess over worthwhile obscessions.

I tried ordering some pineapples from the USDA site but they told me no, they do not supply material to home gardeners. What did I do wrong?

hmh- I have never tasted it, but it has a very high Brix number and a very low acid %. Sounds sweet and delicious to me!

I just got my germplasm. I was surprised that they came so fast. I think it was about a week. This was the week for mail order plants for me. I got 2 mango from top, then the 4 germplasm pineapples, and lastly was a Dwarf Singapore pink plumeria. I potted up germplasm. That was not easy getting them out. I broke the tubes to remove them.
Andrew

Post a Follow-Up
Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Comments (38)

• ohiojay
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lots of patience my friend. The tissue culture ones look a little freakish in that medium.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Wow! That's impressive! I can't even begin to think of where you would be able to buy those. Bravo! I bet you will have aton of pineapple to eat by the looks of those tubes!

• Related Discussions

Picture of my planted pineapple top!

Q

Comments (24)
    Toni; It was the top of a store bought pineapple. I love pineapples and get them all the time, you should try grilling them. My girlfriend always tosses out the tops when I'm not looking because she doesn't want the house full of them. I hate to admit it but she is much more sensible about me filling our house with plants than I am. I would start getting rid of furniture for more plants if I could. Bromelain acts as an anti-inflammatory if taken on an empty stomach, Not FDA approved for that use but in my personal experience, it works to some degree. Bromalain also comtains protein-digesting enzymes and is used in many meat tenderizers so if you get pineapple juice and/or sap from the plants(it is in the whole plant, not just the fruit) on your skin you are potentially are digesting your skin. It probably bothers some people more than others but it's more or less harmless. Nursery plants are often treated with hormones, chemicals or ethylene gas to get them to flower at smaller sizes. It isn't how they naturally grow. Also, amccour is right about the spikes. I often wear a full face shield to tend to my other plants near that thing so it doesn't harpoon me. learned that the hard way. . .
    ...See More

My big variegated pineapple....

Q

Comments (11)
    Bihai, There's a good chance you may have gotten that red one from me during one of our trades. I always throw extra pups in my trade boxes, I get so many. I actually got it from Bill in Cape Coral years back. My red one at least grows more upward than outward so it doesn't bit as much when you knock into it. It also does not have teeth, just very very pointy painful ends. The giant variegated is another story with the teeth. Ouch!
    ...See More

Is My Pineapple Ready for harvest?

Q

Comments (1)
    Pineapples dont really ripen once you pick it so I would leave it as long a possible.
    ...See More

How can I get my Pineapple Lily to bloom again?

Q

Comments (5)
    Woohoo - looks like my Pineapple Lily is going to bloom again after all this time! I've had it in a larger pot since my original post here, as that was one recommendation the Bulb Forum had. I planted the bulbs 6 inches down and have left them in that pot since (bringing the pot inside over winter, and taking it back out in the late spring). I had just about given up hope, but when I checked the pot just now, I saw the beginnings of a flower forming in one of them :)
    ...See More
  • murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jay,
    I'm lookin at atleast 3 years before I get to try these. The three I am growing from tissue cultures that I got last year are only about 7-8inches. Hopefully it picks up pace. I'm also getting ready to practice micropropagation. So maybe ill be able to tissue culture some pineapples on my own one day.

andrew,
    you can get the pineapples for free through the USDA or you can buy tissue cultured varieties off ebay. They buy them in like a 72 cell from agristarts then resells them individually as they get bigger.

• j-grow
    14 years ago

please explain the free USDA thing?

• dghays
    14 years ago

I've gotten several that way, I have about 18 varieties of the world's top types. I love my pinas. If I don't get a freeze, I'm hoping to have a 7 or 8 lb'er next year, had them up to 6 1/2 lbs so far.

Gary

• j-grow
    14 years ago

i have a good time with them as well. i have 3 or four full size fruits right now but i would say they are probably 3 lbs or so maybe 4. i dont know what kind is what because ive lost track of where i got them all. im not sure but i think i have 60 or 70 going right now. i need to remove all the pups and slips soon from the ones that fruited this summer. i would like to figure out how to get my hands on 100 or so tops but havent been able to find a source. any tips?

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

j-grow,
    You can order germplasm for almost any plant that the USDA has in its collections. It has a very large pineapple collection and if you request the germplasm it sends it as a tissue culture. I included the link to the USDA for you. I am not sure where to find 100 tops. Have you tried posting an ad on craigslist in your area?

Gary,
    I can only hope to get pineapples as large as yours one day. Mine never seem to get past 5 pounds or so. What new ones have you gotten from the USDA? I mainly got ones that were different colours. I read about one from Brazil that was supposed to be 15kg or so but I cant seem to find any other reference to it anywhere.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I went to USDA website but could not find the pineapple any where. Not that it really matters, I have one pineapple right now, and really can't afford the space, but just curios to see what they have.
    Andrew

• dghays
    14 years ago

Murahlin, My last order a couple years ago was Abacaxi, Antigua and Black Antigua. I think I lost one var from the freeze last year, either Pernambuco or Monserrat, will need to check. If you find that big one and it's supposed to be excellent, and you can get a couple extra, let me know. I'd love one like that. The key to huge fruit is planting in heavy, heavy organic matter. My plants are big and beefy.

Jgrow, if you're near brevard, I'd sell you a bunch of slips which are better than tops. I've had some slips flower in 5 months, which is unheard of, supposed to be 18 months.

Gary

• j-grow
    14 years ago

hey gary im in merritt island. ya how much for the slips? and how many do you have?

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago

slips? what does that really mean. aren't pineapples propagated/grown from the tops. please excuse my obvious lack of knowledge to this subject. was looking around GW and this post caught my eye.

also, are there grafted versions that i can actually grow indoors. thanks

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Murahilin,
    Where do I get the free plants on the usda website?
    Andrew

• j-grow
    14 years ago

the mother plant will have slips and shoots sprout from the ground and in between the "leafs?" at the end of the fruit development and after the fruit is picked. you can remove them from the mother and start over. i have one right now that has six on it plus the top that came off the fruit.

• dghays
    14 years ago

The sprouts from the ground are usually called suckers, plantlets which pop out from below the fruit are slips. Normally a slip takes 18 months to fruit, a top around 30 months. Either are perfect vegetative propagations.

Jgrow, I imagine I have around 30 available, maybe more. If you buy 30 or more I'll sell them for $1 each assuming you're picking them up.

Gary

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Dghays,
    I would like a few Black Antiqua. I could send a check for shipping and plant cost. Hhausermann sent me some fungicide and it only cost $4.95. Let me know. Thank you.
    Andrew

• dghays
    14 years ago

Andrew: Since I got the Black Antigua a couple years ago from tissue culture, and slips usually reach size after fruit, it will still probably be a couple years til I have extra plant material from it. My most available pineapple material is the 'smooth cayenne', which while not so exotic, still tastes fantastic picked ripe. Most people I sell to say it was the best pineapple they ever ate, but that's because, like most people, they eat store bought. Nevertheless, the best of the other varieties so far have only tasted a bit better than them, not way better, but I have around a dozen more types I'm growing still to taste.

Gary

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Gary,
    Considering that I live in New York the only pineapple that I get here are the plain ol store variety or the Hawaiin Gold which is my favorite. I got to try this right from Hawaii. My parents brought three home and on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 20! Now considering where you live you probobly would not agree with me. I would love some 'Smooth Cayenne' if you are willing to sell a couple(maybe three?). I love pineapple and they are so easy to start from the tops. I have a Gold right now that has been growing for a few years now. I could have had fruit a year and a half ago but I was lazy and did not repot it when I should have. The good thing though was because it could not produce a bud, it produced a sucker which is pretty big now. I am pretty sure this summer it will fruit. I know I could have forced it with a cut apple but I wasnt it to produce only when it is ready. What is your opinion of the 'Smooth Cayenne'? I also wanted to know if you could tell me where on the USDA site do I find the free pineapple plants. Thanks so uch Gary. I love pineapple, and I love even more the ease of culture. Looking forward to another great tropical fruit buddy that I can compare notes with!!
    Andrew
    I also tried some pineapple in Puerto Rico. Thy were pretty good but when I got them they were dead ripe and I didn't eat them right away so I had to cut out a lot of the rotten flesh.

• dghays
    14 years ago

Andrew, google stuff like ars grin germplasm Hilo (that collection is in Hilo, HI) to find the website. A smooth cayenne is excellent, but not considered one of the best. The best I had so far was a Cheese Pine, but it was only a bit better. What usually comes from a grocery store is an MD-2 (like Dole extra sweet), which is an excellent pineapple, bred from Cayenne and others in the mid 90's. I have one var from Puerto Rico called Rascana, which I can't find anything about. MD-2 is superior to SC, so those should be great for you.

Gary

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gary,
    I tried to get cheese pine but it wasnt available at the time. What characteristics do you think make it better? When do you think you'll have cheese pine material available? I would love to be able to trade something for it.

• dghays
    14 years ago

Murahlin, I'll have to look at my cheese pine. I might have two or more now. It was a small fruit, the taste was milder, practically no core, but the taste I found the best of all I've had. Hard to describe why flavor wise, delicate and wonderful. Remind me with an email if you get the chance to remind me to look. I expect next year a few more of my exotic varieties to produce a fruit, so I hope.

Gary

• j-grow
    14 years ago

gary do you have to keep the different varieties seperate? is cross polination a concern of keeping them true?

• dghays
    14 years ago

jgrow, no pollination issues unless you harvested the little seeds that can occur on the outside edge of the fruit. They are pretty hard to find. Otherwise it is all vegetative propagation, so exact duplicates of each other.

Gary

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

I am looking at USDA website, and drolling over all the varieties!
    But on the order form it says you have to be part of an organization and you have to be doing research or for educational purposes.... what did you guys write to get these things for home use?
    How many did you order at one time?
    Thanks

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It says somewhere on the Hilo website that hobbyists can order also but only when the material is not commercially available. I usually just put n/a on the field for organization. I've ordered twice and the most i've ordered at one time was 10 different varieties and I only got 7. They said at the moment they did not have any available material of the 3 other cultivars I selected at that time. Any idea which ones youre going to request? I got a few that were supposed to be pretty good and then I selected a few that were really colourful.

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info- I will give it a try.
    I am looking at a lot of them! Anything with High Brix, low acid. So top on my list are Cheesepine, CB30, Dacca, Tabago, Trinidad, Maritus, Den,Hana 21, Prazers. I also want the Black Antigua since I loved them when I went to Antigua!

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cheesepine was one of the ones they didnt have available last time I ordered. Maybe they will have it available by now. The rest of your choices sound pretty good. Between you, me and Gary we'll have the entire collection in a few years!

• mikesid
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I ordered some a couple weeks ago and got an e-mail that they should be arriving today!! I just put that I was doing research to find the rate of growth for backyard culture. The faster it grows the faster I eat!!!
    I'll post pics when I get them today!
    Thanks, Mike

• mikesid
    14 years ago

As promised I have added photos!!
    I received: Monte Lirio, Cowboy, Amalsad, Cayenne Lanai, Cayenne Hilo, Annanas Merah, 58-1184
    Thanks murahilin for the info on this site!

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem. Those plants look very nice. Did you plant them out already? I made the mistake and waited two weeks before I planted out my last set and there was some rot. They all have survived thus far but I think they would have established faster not for the rot. Also, be careful when removing them from the test tubes. The first time I pulled on one and the leave popped off. Now I stick something down the tube to break up the agar before I pull on the plant.

I think I might try tissue culturing myself one day. They sell tissue culture kits available online. Anyone in the forum ever try to micropropagate plants?

• mikesid
    14 years ago

Hey, I use to buy orchids like this and grow them and killed a lot too. I also just completed a propagation class at PBCC. If you have a class like this available or if you live in the area I recommend taking it. I took this class at the Palm Beach Gardens Campus over the summer. Very good info, all hands on. They also let you go to the college and use the flow hoods any time you want.

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I might check out that class next summer if its available. It sounds pretty interesting.

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

Hey-
    Just as a heads up, Cheese Pine is currently available.

I have to get my import license, since they can't ship them here:-(

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That sucks. Do you have the license already? Its pretty easy to get if you don't have it. It's odd how they require the permit to import things into PR but not to import from PR to the US. I've gotten budwood from the USDA in PR no problem. Maybe because its an island they have stricter requirements on what comes in?

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Has anyone tasted this Cheese Pine? The name doesn't do anything for me. What is the attraction? I only want to obscess over worthwhile obscessions.

• pepperseed
    14 years ago

I tried ordering some pineapples from the USDA site but they told me no, they do not supply material to home gardeners. What did I do wrong?

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

hmh- I have never tasted it, but it has a very high Brix number and a very low acid %. Sounds sweet and delicious to me!

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I just got my germplasm. I was surprised that they came so fast. I think it was about a week. This was the week for mail order plants for me. I got 2 mango from top, then the 4 germplasm pineapples, and lastly was a Dwarf Singapore pink plumeria. I potted up germplasm. That was not easy getting them out. I broke the tubes to remove them.
    Andrew

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi how do i go buy getting plants from the USDA i have looked and cant seem to find out how can anyone help or if someone has pups i will be willing to buy and pay for shipping to mail them to me get back to me thanks