SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Plants that have stayed fresh looking through the heat ...

There are a few plants that absolutely amaze me by staying so fresh looking in spite of triple digit heat of up to 108 degrees and little water. The first among these is Rangoon Creeper ...

The flowers start out white and fade to red. The tropical fragrance is very strong and wafts ...

Another is Winter Honeysuckle. It's had extra water maybe two times and yet remains green and fresh. When I first got it I couldn't find a place for it and planted it in the easement where it had no extra water for years ...

September Morn is an old hybrid tea from the 1920s. It has the strongest fragrance of all the roses in my garden. Planted as a band this spring (a band is like a well rooted cutting) it has not ceased to bloom. But the amazing part is how long the flowers last. This flower is two days old and still very fragrant ...

{{gwi:302192}}

Not all, but most of my roses look like this by noon ...

{{gwi:302194}}

This is the same flower 5 or 6 days later; faded white but still with a detectable scent ...

The bush ...

{{gwi:302193}}

Another plant notable for its ability to remain fresh looking in this heat is esperanza. It must have roots to the aquifer because several that are blooming in the yard next to me have gotten NO extra water.

Pentapete volunteerd in a large container and wants water every couple of days or it wilts, but there are no crisping of the leaves. This one is covered with buds and will be blooming in a few days. Also someone sent seeds to me for a pink variety to me so am eagerly awaiting to see its flowers ...

I'm eager to hear what plants have remained fresh looking in your gardens?

Oh and I managed to use less water in July than in June -- that's the most amazing thing of all :-) I've been careful, but still felt like I was watering a LOT!

Comments (13)