SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

First Mango Bloom of the 2009-2010 Season

hmhausman
14 years ago

Noticed today that my first mango blooms of the new season are here. When I say first bloom, I do not count a wayward bloom pannicle on a branch here and there. I only consider it the first bloom if most of the terminal buds on the tree are pushing bloom at the same time. No, they are not on Chou Anon (a.k.a. Choc Anon, Chok Arnon), nor any other SE Asian mango. The blooms are on my Martinez mango. This is a mango that I grafted from scions from a tree on the property of Bob Martinez in Davie, FL. Eric LaBrum, former plant procurer for the Broward Rare Fruit and Vegetable Council brought me some with the promise that it bears realiably in February and March each year. It has done exactly that since it began bearing 2 years ago. The two trees I have are small.......5-7 feet tall, so I am not sure how big the tree gets. In researching the mother tree (which I haven't seen in person), I learned that it was originally planted By a Dr. Robert Wolf. Dr. Wolf was a chemical engineer who worked with fertilizer formulation here in Florida years ago. I believe he has passed on now. However, a friend recently may have uncovered a possible informaation trail when he met some of Dr. Wolf's relatives who had some knowledge about the hoticultural pursuit. I am still seeking further information.

No indication of blooms on Chou Anon....just for the record.

I did see Ataulfo mangos in Whole Food Market tody. They were selling for 3 for $5. They were very small. Almost bought some but then decided not to when I smelled them and they had no fragrance at all.

Comments (138)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County