SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_wings

Will tomatoes that haven't flowered/set fruit be kept

dragonfly_wings
13 years ago

through the summer in hopes of possibly producing when it cools down again? It's already reached early to mid 90's during the day and 70's at night here.

I've got two heirlooms that, for different reasons, haven't flowered and it seems like it may be getting too hot even if they did. One was planted only 5 weeks ago (Cherokee Purple...hey it only cost a quarter!) and the other was planted in late March and is 3-4 feet tall but may have been planted in a place that doesn't get quite enough hours of sun (mortgage lifter).

So my question is, if I nurse them through the summer, is it possible they'll produce in the early Fall? Or are they a lost cause?

A related question has to do with my cool weather greens.

Believe it or not my chard and kale are still growing. They are somewhat shaded, and I have been taking the leaves when they are young and small and have been enjoying them immensely. As a result of this constant trimming they keep putting out new leaves. I don't know how long this will continue, but should I just keep it going through Fall if they stay productive? Or is it best to just pull them up and plant anew? I'm still so new to gardening I don't know if plants are cut back and left in the bed all year or are pulled up after their peek.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County